CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
rosstheboss
markymark550
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
robgusc76
kabercr2
M.C.
2014 Charleston Clas (2252)
clemson game time: N (2216)
**USC Women vs. San (1669)
The Defense (1642)
Women's soccer Sweet (1382)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (896)
injury report? (579)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
USC/clemson spread (405)
In case no one saw.. (404)
2014 Charleston Classic:
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
clemson game time: Noon o
2015 Commitment - Marquav
For Discussing The Clemso
Odell Becham Catch
USC/clemson spread
In case no one saw...
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
**USC Women vs. San Diego

Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material
Default MLS All Stars beat up Bayern Munich

Rather than hi-jack the EPL thread, I thought I'd throw this article up in it's own thread. That game deserves it's own thread anyway...

Here are a couple of articles discussing the 2-1 MLS win.

Link to article discussing game.

Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. – When you pit a team filled with stars against an all-star team, the latter will always be at a disadvantage.
No one bothered to tell the Major League Soccer All-Star team, which held its own against Bayern Munich Wednesday night, beating the German juggernaut 2-1.
“These guys were true professionals,” MLS All-Star coach Caleb Porter said. “We scored two great goals, some of the sequences we put together were fantastic.”...
This is a great point. An All Star team is at a disadvantage when it comes to team chemistry, quite a disadvantage.

Link to article discussing Bayern Munich's coaches response, note he says he didn't see the MLS coach, yeah and Suarez doesn't enjoy human flesh...

Quote:
“We tried to play, and we were not prepared for the situation. I expect MLS to invite us back for revenge, and we will prepare much better.”
There is no doubt if they came with their World Cup winning line up in mid-season form they would handle the MLS All Stars. What did they have like 6 starters on the German squad? No wonder Germany won. But this game was very competitive and a fantastic showing of the skill in the American game.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLS All Stars beat up Bayern Munich

etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

I saw that, production must have to... they quickly moved on.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

spare would be so proud!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Gamecock303
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowngangsta View Post
where can I get one of those?
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Didn't Bayern only play their stars for just a couple of minutes at the end?

In any event, this game doesn't mean anything. It's an exhibition that the German team didn't give a damn about and that American sports media is trying to make a big deal
Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post

In any event, this game doesn't mean anything. It's an exhibition that the German team didn't give a damn about and that American sports media is trying to make a big deal
I agree, this is just because of the strong ratings coming out of the World Cup.
The MLS beat Chelsea in 2012 and 06 and no one freaked out like this.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #8
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

They played well last night though.

Bayerns coach was mad bc mls players played hard, they came to win.

I didn't see any mls player panicking with the ball at their feet like they usually do, that's good.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

Quote:

Donovan, who only played 23 minutes, scored on Neuer. The World Cup champions subbed in at 75 minutes. It was the skill and confidence the MLS squad played with that was impressive.

MLS is good enough for me to follow and as the following grows it's only a matter of time before they are on the same level as the Euro leagues. Now I just have to pick a team. DC United will probably be my squad unless they get the Miami group going, have a feeling that's going to be a solid market.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

I don't like Pep as the manager of Munich, just doesn't seem like a good fit to me.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

I'm trying to like soccer a little...but then this thread messes with me.

I read title: "team BEAT UP on team"

Final score: 2-1.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

I don't think the OP was referencing the scoreline as much as the actual physicality of the match.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

In soccer you can win 1-0 and yoi can still dominate. Dominating means being all over your opponent.

In boxing for example, you can beat the crap out of the dude and if he won't go down he is not done but still getting whopped.

The score doesn't always tell the reality of the game.

Belgium for example, they made us looked like a jv team even though they didnt score that many goals.

MLS had a legit game vs Bayern.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

The title came from the article linked. But it's just like any sport, including football the score doesn't necessarily represent the game. We've all seen 1 touchdown wins that were certainly much more lopsided than the score depicted.

However, the MLS side didn't dominate the game, the title played on the physicality.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
05USCGrad
i'm probably lying

Male

CockyCash: 100950
05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material

what was spare doing at the soccer game? I thought he was still in Korea

05USCGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #16
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

I'm not gonna be convinced that this game means a damn thing.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #17
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

If you beat Lebron James at the park, that means nothing to you?

"There are not friendlist in soccer" Osvaldo Alonso

Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
If you beat Lebron James at the park, that means nothing to you?
If Lebron isn't trying and doesn't care, no not really. If one team thinks it really matters and the other doesn't care, it doesn't matter because it's not a real competition. If an NFL team is 15-0 playing a 4-11 team in the last week of the season and the 15-0 team rests all of its starters and loses, is it a big deal for the 4-11 team? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
"There are not friendlist in soccer" Osvaldo Alonso
Old 08-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #19
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I don't care if I play you at irmo middle school, I will still beat you, if you didnt come to win is not my problem

Old 08-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #20
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

Quote:
I'm not gonna be convinced that this game means a damn thing.
Quote:
If Lebron isn't trying and doesn't care, no not really. If one team thinks it really matters and the other doesn't care, it doesn't matter because it's not a real competition. If an NFL team is 15-0 playing a 4-11 team in the last week of the season and the 15-0 team rests all of its starters and loses, is it a big deal for the 4-11 team? No.

Did you watch the game? Hate to beat a dead horse but we are talking about the performance of the MLS players, not the result of the game.