CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
b381l
Order 66
garnet_black215
DTGCOCKS#32
Pw00132
Ahmad
wumarshall82
uscsandstorm85
Thoughts on Shawn El (1635)
10-2 (1608)
UK promoting a black (1434)
Time for a new coach (954)
Four UK Players Susp (930)
Coach Gaines: " (857)
I Was Dealing With T (629)
Connor Shaw's fault. (615)
Build a New Stadium (512)
Since everyone loves (475)
UK promoting a blackout f
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
400 pasing yards
Connor Mitch
I Was Dealing With The Lo
QB Recruiting Strategy
Any prospects w/whom our
Four UK Players Suspended
Build a New Stadium
This program has no ideni

Old 08-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit
Default College Life 101

I am moving to Ohio in roughly 9 days to go to school. I am going to play college baseball at a small JUCO, then transfer to a D2 University.

I am a little nervous/scared about leaving home and the whole "college life" in general considering I will be by myself until I get settled in and make friends etc.

What should I expect, how to handle situations etc? Pretty much the basics of it etc.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material
Default Re: College Life 101

Register for classes you're interested in. If you dislike your major (but choose it because you think its a guaranteed job after college) then the chances of you actually making it to class are reduced.

Avoid self-paced classes, unless you're just one of the few disciplined freshman who can stay on top of things. Saving all the work for the last couple of weeks of the semester- when you'll be cramming for other finals, is a disaster.

If you're rooming with someone via pot-luck selection, then set boundaries. Hell- write up a damn contract if you feel like it might help.

Ultimately- when in doubt; GO TO CLASS. Its the easiest thing in the world to skip class, to sleep in, go out, whatever...but even if you go out, even if you're exhausted, hung over, whatever...drag your ass out of bed and go to class.
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

BTW- you might need a separate thread for "Ohio 101 - How to Survive the Worst State in the US"
Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
El Cid Ranger
Black Magic Squad

Male

CockyCash: 850200
El Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot material
Default College Life 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
BTW- you might need a separate thread for "Ohio 101 - How to Survive the Worst State in the US"

I got this a few weeks back while on Sam Rittenberg heading to the airport, that should answer most of the questions of why Ohio sucks, they steal everything like most Yankees!!

As far as College life, just do the right thing and enjoy life it'll go by really fast!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid Ranger View Post

As far as College life, just do the right thing and enjoy life it'll go by really fast!

This might seem like an obvious thing for most people- but it bears repeating.
We all know "carpe diem" and "life is short" but really, take time to enjoy every single thing. I look back on my 4 years at Carolina and, while I loved it, there's much I wish I could have done.

Do it all.

You're young- you can rest when you're old.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Not to make light of it, but college was one of the easiest things I've ever done. You'll be fine.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Good news is that baseball is gonna consume a lot of your time. But with that you will have a built in social group with guys who obviously share some of your interest.

Don't immediately find a serious relationship. Build up your social network before finding one person who consumes your time.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

you are paying for college...go to class

Get to know your professors as well as you get to know your coaches. College seems overwhelming but in the grand scheme of things it is a walk in the park. Good luck
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Study Hard, Party Hard - And be sure to do it in that order.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Go to class.

Freedom is awesome but can also bite you in the butt. It's Ohio, so expect the girls to be aggressive and pasty.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

college is easy, its whats after college that isn't.

many temptations in college. Just be smart about it.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Be sure to wrap it up!

Also try to meet as many new people as possible.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Sit in the front row.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
Sit in the front row.
In addition to this simple, yet great point- if the professor asks a question, do NOT make eye contact unless you know the answer!
Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Go to class. And try to never leave.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #16
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

join clubs, go to fairs etc .. meet many people
Old 08-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

What school are you going to?
Old 08-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

"Be relatively intelligent."-Father of a fraternity brother

Don't stick your dick in crazy.

Always take the route, no matter the detour, that takes you past the freshman girls sunbathing.

Even if you aren't going to be a business major, take some 100 level business courses. You never know if or when you will have your own business and having basic knowledge of business helps immensely.

Honestly, I wish I had taken the max allowable class hours per semester in college because looking back there are so many things I wish I had a better grasp on. I also wish I had taken like an hour or two a day to just go to the library, review notes, do homework, and/or study. I did way too many all nighters and in the library til 4 am nights.

Don't take 2 5 hour energys back to back, I did that once, and there was a 30 minute stretch in the middle where I was completely useless.

Take a B12 pill and drink 2 tall glasses of water after a night out before bed. Trust me.

Get a small coffee maker and bring it to the library if you do need to study or write or whatever overnight. I did that during my senior sem paper and I probably brewed 10 pots of coffee for myself and my other classmates who originally made fun of me and then around 2 am came over with cups asking for good coffee, not the shitty stuff the school made.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Best advice I have in terms of the actual work itself is don't wait until the last minute, get it done in advance.

As far as making friends, don't be afraid to talk to people. Talk to people around you.

Oh yeah, they'll pick on your accent. Don't take it personally.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #20
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Don't get in a relationship until you have enjoyed your first two maybe three years haha