CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
b381l
ReadR00ster
jrussjr
WeStillOwnUSC
TAFC 5 1981
Sir Cuss
kick_ball
Acockolypse Now
COCKYTALKIN
Auburn looks beatabl (3356)
Three young corners (1544)
**official Vandy pre (1233)
King - South Carolin (1016)
Watch ESPN3 regional (762)
Haven't seen one unb (595)
No Vandy Predictions (538)
Hotel in Nashville? (373)
Zumwalt Stealth Dest (333)
Texas Tech assistant (197)
**official Vandy predicti
uniforms saturday
The Smoking Pig ... Tater
The SEC East schedule fro
Next years RB situation
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
Funny Golf Story About HB
SEC East vs. SEC West
Three young corners progr
Soccer geeks

Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Asheville/Spartanburg eats?

Heading up on Friday to Asheville for the weekend. We'll most likely be stopping for dinner in Spartanburg someplace close to 26, and eating in Asheville for two lunches and a dinner. We'll have a 2 year old with us and would like to be reasonably thrifty. Any recommendations?

We've gotten take out from 12 bones which was really good. Judging from urban spoon we might try White Duck Taco Shop for lunch. We're staying in the Biltmore Village and with the Bele Chere music festival happening this weekend (I think) probably going into downtown might be difficult, although I'm not really sure how much that music festival clogs it up. If we were to go into downtown we'd probably hit up Early Girl Cafe at some point...it was well worth the stop on the way back from Gatlinburg on a Sunday morning a few months ago.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 355
Jethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPit
Default Re: Asheville/Spartanburg eats?

There's always the WORLD FAMOUS BEACON in sptbg off the reidville rd exit. otherwise there is a lot of places off of 26 such as Fatz, Fudruckers, Cheifs wings and firewater and a good bit of "Mom & Pop" locally owned restaurants. Most are the $7-$10 entre price. Reidville rd exit and the the westgate mall exit (which is right after Reidville rd) are two heavily populated areas and have a lot of child friendly places. Good luck and have fun!!
Jethro Beaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

tupelo honey in downtown asheville is pretty good can be a little pricey though, asheville pizza and brewing (sometimes just asheville brewing) is really good pizza they have two locations and the one on merrimon ave is a "brew and view" if you want to catch a movie
Old 07-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

also if you want some breakfast sun morning on your way back stop in hendersonville at fireside restaurant and pancake inn right off 26
Old 07-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Heading up on Friday to Asheville for the weekend. We'll most likely be stopping for dinner in Spartanburg someplace close to 26, and eating in Asheville for two lunches and a dinner. We'll have a 2 year old with us and would like to be reasonably thrifty. Any recommendations?

We've gotten take out from 12 bones which was really good. Judging from urban spoon we might try White Duck Taco Shop for lunch. We're staying in the Biltmore Village and with the Bele Chere music festival happening this weekend (I think) probably going into downtown might be difficult, although I'm not really sure how much that music festival clogs it up. If we were to go into downtown we'd probably hit up Early Girl Cafe at some point...it was well worth the stop on the way back from Gatlinburg on a Sunday morning a few months ago.
Tupelo Honey is a given for lunch or dinner. I'd go to the one at Asheville-Southside. About 10min outside of Asheville, but not near as busy.

Also think about the Country Kitchen in the Biltmore Village. Good soul food as well.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Cocked & Locked
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
also if you want some breakfast sun morning on your way back stop in hendersonville at fireside restaurant and pancake inn right off 26
My parents used to live right around the corner from Fireside in Hendersonville. It's got be one of my favorite breakfast places of all time!!!!!
Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
thekob
Household Name

Male

thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
Tupelo Honey is a given for lunch or dinner. I'd go to the one at Asheville-Southside. About 10min outside of Asheville, but not near as busy.

Also think about the Country Kitchen in the Biltmore Village. Good soul food as well.
I've read about Tupelo Honey several different places, seems like it'd be good.

I believe we hit up Country Kitchen in one of our previous visits. It was really good, although that was without the kid. Not that she's ill behaved ususally, just suffers from the ususal 2 year old habit of when she's done eating, she's done. I don't mind entertaining her when we go out, but with a $20 entree I'd like to relax a bit and focus on the dining experience and conversation.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
thekob
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocked & Locked View Post
My parents used to live right around the corner from Fireside in Hendersonville. It's got be one of my favorite breakfast places of all time!!!!!

Thanks for the tip, we'll definitely look into it. My wife's uncle lived in Hendersonville and at least one of her cousins still does I believe, so she's got some familiarity with it.

We'll have to see about the time we'll be heading through, the reason for our travels is a lacrosse tournament in Asheville. Sunday's games will be seeded as a result of Saturday's round robin, so here's hoping we don't make it out of there until after the Championship game!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
thekob
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Beaver View Post
There's always the WORLD FAMOUS BEACON in sptbg off the reidville rd exit. otherwise there is a lot of places off of 26 such as Fatz, Fudruckers, Cheifs wings and firewater and a good bit of "Mom & Pop" locally owned restaurants. Most are the $7-$10 entre price. Reidville rd exit and the the westgate mall exit (which is right after Reidville rd) are two heavily populated areas and have a lot of child friendly places. Good luck and have fun!!
We've got a Fatz, Fuddruckers, etc in Cola. When we travel we like to hit up non-chain places since we eat out so little, we like to make the most of our opportunities when we can! It may end up being just regular fast food, but I'm interested to see what everyone had to say about the Spartanburg eats.

I've heard plenty about the Beacon, never have been able to convince the wife to stop there though, probably because of the tales :) I'll have to check out the reviews again and that may give her enough reason to relent.

Any specific mom and pop places you'd recommend in particular?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

It's a little out of the way in Tryon, but if you want pizza I would suggest Side Street Pizza. I go up to Asheville fairly regularly and we usually stop there every third or fourth trip.

In Asheville, I really like the Moose Cafe. It's part of the farmer's market in Asheville. They also have a location not too far from the interstate in Hendersonville. It's a farm to table meat and three type place. Excellent fried chicken and haven't had a bad meal at either location yet. The Asheville location was closed for renovations last time we were there back in March, so I would check to see if they're open or go to the Hendersonville one to be safe.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 272
Todd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post

We have enjoyed Laurey's in the past (Link & Yelp Link). It is mostly a grab & go menu with sandwiches so for a quick lunch or taking stuff on the go it is great. They also have a private lot so you don't have to pay or look for parking.
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

The Beacon is for people from out of town, the blue hair crowd and politicians. Avoid it. Locals go to Ike's Grill. That's a ways off I26 but the area you're passing through is nothing but chains. If you're considering driving all the way to The Beacon, go another mile to Cribbs Kitchen. Right next door to Rj Rockers brewing company.

www.cribbsonmain.com

www.rjrockers.com

Edit. Reading is gud. Just saw the child friendly and thrifty part. Hit chick fil a on 29.....
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
darthtripous
Walk On

Male

darthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spurs

I have seen Asheville Pizza and T. Honey posted. Those are great places to eat. I would also add 12 Bones BBQ. It is not traditional Carolina BBQ, but it has the best brisket that I have ever eaten (But I have never been to Texas to get the real thing).

I have also eaten at a Mexican place that also has a taco truck in town. I cannot recall the name of this place off the top of my head. Whatever it is, it is the best Mexican I have had on the east coast. Period.
darthtripous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
The Beacon is for people from out of town, the blue hair crowd and politicians. Avoid it. Locals go to Ike's Grill. That's a ways off I26 but the area you're passing through is nothing but chains. If you're considering driving all the way to The Beacon, go another mile to Cribbs Kitchen. Right next door to Rj Rockers brewing company.

www.cribbsonmain.com

www.rjrockers.com

Edit. Reading is gud. Just saw the child friendly and thrifty part. Hit chick fil a on 29.....
I second this post. Cribbs has great burgers. Wade's is a great home cooking joint…kid friendly and a Spartanburg hallmark.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #15
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

Also, if you want BBQ, Pig Out BBQ is not far off 26 in Spartanburg. They have great pulled pork and ribs and smoked chicken. Their bbq sauce is also some of the best Ive had.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #16
BloodySpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
BloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervous

Mexican place is most likely Limons... very good!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Clifford4HeismanGoBobcats

Male

CockyCash: 550
CaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot material

Stop at Ike's for dinner in Spartanburg for one of the best burgers in the Upstate.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #18
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Stop at Ike's for dinner in Spartanburg for one of the best burgers in the Upstate.
Agreed! One of the best in the state!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #19
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Ike's is one of the best burgers I have ever had outp
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #20
Arm Chair QB
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
Arm Chair QB has hatched from the shell

The BEACON is nasty from top to bottom and the food is awful. 30 years go it was better.
Arm Chair QB is offline   Reply With Quote