CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
gamecockgal
eightohhthree
Clowneygotcha
Gamecocks1137
COCKYTALKIN
A. Pilgrim
Order 66
Badazcock
spareparts
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (1910)
Elliott Fry crushes (1827)
If (big IF) we can w (1547)
No Gurley near the g (1456)
Tired of night games (991)
How the top 25 SHOUL (951)
The SEC East schedul (889)
20 of 31 former play (880)
Photos of fans befor (835)
Missouri Game Set Fo (770)
Coach Elliott pregame.
So, Vanderbilt is next
Elliott Fry crushes Clems
Next years RB situation
Most Spirited Fan
Georgia Visitors List - u
Adrian Peterson indicted
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
USC/Furman 10/18/2014
Missouri Game Set For 7:0

Old 01-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit
Lightbulb ***2014 Nascar Season Thread***

What do the Cockytalk Nascar fans have to say about the new Championship format?

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup...playoff-format
Old 01-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
statboy8
Walk On

Male

statboy8 is learning to peckstatboy8 is learning to peck
Default Re: ***2014 Nascar Season Thread***

It's going to be awesome. Trust me.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Not sure how everything will play out, but anything to make things more simple for the fans and puts a premium on winning has to be a good thing.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Been a fan since 1987, and I LOVE it. Despite the naysayers, whoever wins the Championship will have truly earned it both throughout the season AND in a high pressure must win finale

I would be extremely surprised if the Champion doesn't win Homestead.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

I think I like it, but will have to see how it plays out. A couple things concern me about it. I don't like the fact that you win one race and make the chase. Could cause some considerable funny business late in the season when some teams have a couple guys already in and a couple still trying to get a win. Also wouldn't want to see somebody win a rain shortened race and make it in based on that. Overall though I think it should make for an interesting season.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Don't like it at all.
cockinraleigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 400
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

We'll see, but to me it seems gimmicky. Maybe it will turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread, but it's getting old seeing them change the format ever two-three years or so. If the on track racing doesn't get better, I don't think it will matter though. I bought into the hype of the new cars last year and tried to watch every race and by the end of the summer I didn't think the product was any better and I eventually quit watching races by the time the chase started. And don't throw me into the class of fans who watches for crashes. I grew up in a racing house (dad raced and later was a crew chief on cars at MB Speedway) and grew up going to Darlington, Rockingham, Charlotte, etc. NASCAR says boys have at it, but dollar signs won't let them. To me, that's whats taken away from the sport.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I think I like it, but will have to see how it plays out. A couple things concern me about it. I don't like the fact that you win one race and make the chase. Could cause some considerable funny business late in the season when some teams have a couple guys already in and a couple still trying to get a win. Also wouldn't want to see somebody win a rain shortened race and make it in based on that. Overall though I think it should make for an interesting season.
I understand your points, and a good example of the 2nd one is from last year with David Ragan. Great guy from all accounts and I enjoy his weekly call in on Mojo's show on SiriusXM, and it was awesome that he won Talladega, but really no business being in the Chase. OK yes he gets in, but almost certainly he's eliminated in the first or second round. If not, and he does somehow miraculously make it through to the Final Four, well he would have to have raced well enough to deserve it then.

One minor point of possible (though limited) shenanigans - whoever wins races 1, 4 & 7 have zero incentive to even try in the next 2 races, as the points are reset each round, and it sounds like no bonus points for wins. Cue the Sprint All Star race a couple years ago with the sandbagging segment winners :-p
Old 01-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Fear#5
New and Improved

Male

CockyCash: 249940200
Fear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot material

I'm getting kinda tired of all these format changes.
Fear#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

I'll be in Daytona!
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Just heard on the radio that if they used this point system last year Dale Jr would have been the champion...without winning a race.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear#5 View Post
I'm getting kinda tired of all these format changes.
No matter if Brian France makes 50 more changes he has caused NASCAR to plummet among fans. He has ruined everything his Bill France created. NASCAR cant even get picked up by the big networks anymore. ESPN will not be picking it up this year and smaller networks are bidding on it. Its a shame because I grew up around NASCAR and looked forward to Sunday afternoons watching the big boys of NASCAR go at it. I used to get so jacked up during a race my heart rate would be through the roof. Now I sleep and find myself turning the channel. I keep up with it but I hardly watch. I try to keep interest this year but more than likely won't.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Homestead-Miami is the Super Bowl of the NASCAR season now, and going by the logic one race shouldn't determine a champion you can say the same thing about the Super Bowl does one game really determine who the best is? I actually like this new format
Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
Just heard on the radio that if they used this point system last year Dale Jr would have been the champion...without winning a race.
Perfect example of why you can't apply different rules to prior circumstances - if you think the 48, who only had to finish like 23rd to clinch and cruised to a 9th place finish, wouldn't have pushed any harder knowing he had to finish ahead of the 88 under the new rules, then yes.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Homestead-Miami is the Super Bowl of the NASCAR season now, and going by the logic one race shouldn't determine a champion you can say the same thing about the Super Bowl does one game really determine who the best is? I actually like this new format
Exactly - when the Giants beat the Patriots to ruin their 19-0 run, were they the best team in the league? And the Packers won in recent years with a 10-6 regular season record. But per the rules, they were the Champions of the sport :-)
Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
xraycock
Walk On

Male

xraycock has hatched from the shell

[quote=JerseyBird;4076023]Exactly - when the Giants beat the Patriots to ruin their 19-0 run, were they the best team in the league? And the Packers won in recent years with a 10-6 regular season record. But per the rules, they were the Champions of the sport :-)[/QU
xraycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #17
jcausc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 348
jcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spurs

Wish they would have Daytona or Talladega last.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 PM   #18
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

get rid of restrictor plates.....let's get back to real racing....
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #19
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

Austin Dillon has the pole for the 500. Last year it was Danica and now it's the #3. NASCAR couldn't have had better headlines for this race the past two years.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #20
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

I'm going out on a limb and say Dillon will win the 500, NASCAR will make sure of that.