CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
GregoryHouse
Dietz
Gamecocks1137
roosterdude21
Badazcock
zcoop
Carolina-Beez
Cockypantherfan
Grit_And_Steel
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (8798)
ESPN Game Day Commen (1690)
Simple "yes&quo (1369)
Phil Steele just pre (1051)
The Comeback & T (790)
Garcia: Change the R (631)
TeMarcus Blanton (623)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Miss St vs. Kentucky (280)
Wallpaper & Back (250)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Anybody just have that &q
WET PAPER SACK DEFENSE
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Bama @ Tennessee
Turtle Beach
Miss St vs. Kentucky
Where in Seattle
UFC 179: Jose Aldo vs Cha
Instrumental Music (Pre g

Old 08-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
#7Clowney
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous
Default Connor Shaw in Browns?

Haven't heard much of him, how's he doing now as a Brown?
#7Clowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Shaw in Browns?

very rough scrimmage yesterday.

did not get to play much but it was his fault really.

0-3 with 2 interceptions - one was a pick 6 and the other was technically a pick 6 as the defender fumbled the interception but another defender picked it up and carried it into the endzone.

Shaw was done for the day after that.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
#7Clowney
4-Star

Male

#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous

Well, this is really tough for him. I was expecting him to join the qb mix of Browns.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
OneCockyDude
Walk On

Male

OneCockyDude has earned his spursOneCockyDude has earned his spursOneCockyDude has earned his spursOneCockyDude has earned his spursOneCockyDude has earned his spursOneCockyDude has earned his spurs

I hope he has a great performance next time out. I know that he won't get many chances with outings like this in the NFL. Go Connor! We are rooting for you!!!
OneCockyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

The playbook seems overwhelming but he was doing a good job until the last scrimmage. He usually only gets 11 reps or so. Throwing 2 pick 6s probably dooms him. He was fighting for the 3rd spot and it looks like tyler Thigpen will keep it. At least he's another Carolina boy. Even if it's Coastal.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

I'll believe to the day I die that Connor has problems seeing receivers in the middle of the field due to his height. Moving to the NFL has made it worse.

There have been qb's that somehow find a way to see the field despite their lack of height, but he has never developed that knack.

I also think that when he was here he really didn't want to throw the ball unless he was sure the receiver was open on some types of passing plays. He was a lot more likely to pull the trigger on deep and outside patterns than over the middle.

I think Spurrier worked around this tendency, and the guys are just more clearly open in college. But in the pros he has to work the middle of the field, so I think it is showing now. Of course his ints might not have been to the middle of the field, but that is my take.
sunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
I'll believe to the day I die that Connor has problems seeing receivers in the middle of the field due to his height. Moving to the NFL has made it worse.

There have been qb's that somehow find a way to see the field despite their lack of height, but he has never developed that knack.

I also think that when he was here he really didn't want to throw the ball unless he was sure the receiver was open on some types of passing plays. He was a lot more likely to pull the trigger on deep and outside patterns than over the middle.

I think Spurrier worked around this tendency, and the guys are just more clearly open in college. But in the pros he has to work the middle of the field, so I think it is showing now. Of course his ints might not have been to the middle of the field, but that is my take.
I know that we are ALL pulling for Connor. That said, I have to agree with this post. The only frustration that I EVER had with Connor was that he held the ball a lot - choosing to rarely make throws until after receivers were open. In other words he rarely threw to "spots" or to receivers anticipating them coming open.

You can get away with that in college. Not in the pros. Still hope he does enough to earn a roster spot. Although throwing three INTs in the last two practices doesn't bode well for him.

Good luck though Connor.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
#7Clowney
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post

Thank you.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

From what little I heard , Connor was running the 4th string. Hopefully the mistakes weren't all on him.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
petecock
Recruit

Male

petecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervouspetecock is making other chickens nervous

The NFL is brutal!

Playing with thirds requires near super-human abilities to overcome, however, keep in mind that Day 7 at camp was dominated by Defense.

Take with a grain of salt, folks, he has enough upside to beat out Thigpen

From Dawgs By Nature, SB Nation Browns blog:

Last edited by petecock; 08-03-2014 at 11:59 AM.
petecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

He was awesome in that 4th quarter against Missouri. Saved our season.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I hope they still give him a chance in a game.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

And the curse of gamecock qb's in the league continues.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

im assuming as well as hoping theyre going to keep him around for at least a couple preseason games and not write him off based on one scrimmage.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
The'Boose2001
The Watchman

Male

CockyCash: 400
The'Boose2001 has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to The'Boose2001 Send a message via Skype™ to The'Boose2001

Give Connor a little more time to adjust. He's a very smart guy. He'll figure it all out.
The'Boose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
Bickett22
Walk On

Male

Bickett22 has hatched from the shell
Send a message via AIM to Bickett22

The reality is, although we all love Shaw, that he will probably make the practice squad and have a year to learn. They seem to have really wanted him, so I could see it going this way!
Old 08-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickett22 View Post
The reality is, although we all love Shaw, that he will probably make the practice squad and have a year to learn. They seem to have really wanted him, so I could see it going this way!
Yep...it was always going to if he could find a way to stick around long enough to develop into something. Hope the Browns can work with him, but they have to go try and find players who can win games.
Practice squad would likely be a blessing.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
they have to go try and find players who can win games.

The Browns? When the hell did they start doing that?

I am kidding.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
im assuming as well as hoping theyre going to keep him around for at least a couple preseason games and not write him off based on one scrimmage.

Teams usually have 4 arms in camp because they need that many to throw to the receivers in camp. They cut down to 2 or 3 depending on what they are doing for the season. Now, they cut to 75 players on or before 8/26 and then finally down to 53 on 8/30. Browns have 3 preseason games prior to the first cut, and then one prior to the last cut.

It is extremely difficult to make the team as an UDFA QB. Odds are not good. But, if anyone can do it, Connor can.

Last edited by JaxcockFL; 08-03-2014 at 06:26 PM.
JaxcockFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
nodnahs
Blue Chip

Male

nodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudly

Practice squad. .
nodnahs is offline   Reply With Quote