CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
PageUSC
KaneisAble
doubledribble
pitchcock
GarnetSwarm1990
roosterdude21
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
MountainCock
thumpin big
Busta out indefinite (2092)
SOS says his next st (1772)
Our Road Upset Wins (1573)
CBSSports SEC predic (868)
Our Defense? (837)
No easy road for our (679)
University of Buffal (563)
Michael Sams done in (360)
SEC Football Legend: (330)
Party like it's 1903 (327)
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
Our Defense?
2016 Thon Marker
Why is everyone anticipat
Anyone Making The Trip?
CFN prediction for auburn
Bama @ Tennessee
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Roll call for Auburn

Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
QueenCityCockFan
1/2-Star Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
QueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudlyQueenCityCockFan is crowing loudly
Send a message via Skype™ to QueenCityCockFan
Default Randomly meeting athletes/coaches/celebs

Was working for the Charlotte Knights last night, and my way out is going around BofA Stadium to Morehead, and as im passing by BofA, got stuck at a red light.. Guess who pulls up beside me in his white Benz? Riverboat Ron. I rolled down the window and told him thanks for the hard work since hes been here, he said thanks. Never met a a sports figure like that just out outside of the venue like that.
Just want to hear some stories from anyone else on CT who has had the opportunity to bump into someone like that just around town.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Randomly meeting athletes/coaches/celebs

Couple of times in Charlotte I met Ravishing Rick Rude and Beautiful Bobby from the NWA.

Stood in line behind Frank Martin at the state fair last October...
Old 08-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I was in Miami around 2004 or 2005 and walking with my friend in the Aventura mall. We saw a lot of big dudes and a bunch of people following behind. When we get closer we see that all the big guys are Lebron's posse or body guards or something. Pretty cool to see The King up close.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Frank Martin's daughter cheered allstars with my younger sister. Met him at several competitions last season whenever his wife would bring him along.
ktguen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

I've only had 1 celebrity encounter. I was in law school (we had our own building, there was nothing else there this person could have been there for) and waiting on the elevator to head down after class. The doors open up and standing inside the elevator all by himself is Brian Dennehy. I still have no idea why he was there.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I had tickets to the 2000 Final Four (Michigan State, UNC, Florida, Wisconsin) in Indianapolis. My dad and I were out walking around the RCA Dome before the first game started and off in the distance I see a few people walking with an enormously tall man and they were all wearing Michigan State gear. They get closer, and about 10 feet away I realize the tall guy is Magic Johnson. The only thing I can do is say "oh wow, it's Magic." He heard me, looked over at me and flashed that big grin of his and kept on walking to the arena.

Too bad that was before camera phones and the Twitter/Facebook era because there would definitely have been some Magic pics on my timelines. There are a couple of other athlete/coach/celeb encounters, but with as big a basketball fan as I am, to have one of the best basketball players ever acknowledge you is definitely my favorite.

Last edited by markymark550; 08-20-2014 at 02:41 PM.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Oh and I met Jessie Palmer in a bar in Nashville after the 2012 USC/Vandy game. I have a picture somewhere.

I met Jimmy Fallon outside Rockefeller Center after a SNL show in like 2003
ktguen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Guess this sorta counts but my parents owned a fishing lodge in Welaka, FL until I was 8, then we moved up to NJ. When I was a few months old, the actor James Best stayed at the lodge. My parents had a pic of me in his arms but it's long lost now. He's probably best (har!) known as Sheriff Roscoe Coltrane on Dukes Of Hazzard
Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
05USCGrad
i'm probably lying

Male

CockyCash: 100950
05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material05USCGrad is USC mascot material

I used to see dave odom at church

05USCGrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

No one's gonna believe this, but one time when I was younger my family was staying at a hotel who was hosting a celebrity golf tourney or tennis tourney or something. Who should walk in, but the guy who played Tackleberry in Police Academy.

I. Sh*t. You. Not.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05USCGrad View Post
I used to see dave odom at church
Was he in charge of the church war chest?

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCityCockFan View Post
Was working for the Charlotte Knights last night, and my way out is going around BofA Stadium to Morehead, and as im passing by BofA, got stuck at a red light.. Guess who pulls up beside me in his white Benz? Riverboat Ron. I rolled down the window and told him thanks for the hard work since hes been here, he said thanks. Never met a a sports figure like that just out outside of the venue like that.
Just want to hear some stories from anyone else on CT who has had the opportunity to bump into someone like that just around town.

Saw Jordan in his yellow Ferrari at a stop light near the arena.

Ran into Larry Brown at the Walgreens at the corner of Sharon and Morrison.

Saw the Nature Boy at a lot of places but always seemed to run into him at the Morrocroft Harris Teeter on Saturday mornings. I'd have on a USC polo during football season and he'd give me a Go Cocks every now and then.

Saw Steve Smith at Southpark Mall last year.

My wife ended up at Travell Wharton's house years ago when she worked for and interior designer.

Nazr Mohammed sat at the table beside us at Arooji's Wine Room whenver he was on the Bobcats.

Sean May was at the hospital with his baby mama in the room next to ours last summer while my wife was in labor.

Emeka Okarfor pulled up beside me at the Shell station on the corner of East and South Blvd to fill up his Porshe.

I met Stephen Jackson at the Southpark Ruth's Chris in February of 2011. He was driving a Rolls Royce and had three trashy looks chicks with him. I was standing in line for the valet. I told him "good game last night" He gave me some dap.

Ryan Kalil at Southpark Mall the day after we beat New Orleans at home right before Xmas.

Last edited by gamecockphan; 08-20-2014 at 03:05 PM.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

I met Stephen Tyler about 10 yrs ago in a shop at Disney World.

See Sterling Sharpe about 3 or 4 times a year at the bank. Once asked if he wanted my account number to deposit his checks...he didn't.
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #14
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

I've worked with Latt in one of my classes and had class with Clowney, but that's not really random.

My dad has spoken with Clint Eastwood, Michael Jordan, and a few other big names while installing cable/telephone service to their homes on Hilton Head.

This isn't really random either, but my girlfriend's grandfather was the Defensive Coordinator for Vandy, Navy, Mizzou, LSU, and Texas (along with a few other well-known names). His Texas gig was his biggest and lasted from 1998-2003, and some of the players he recruited would win their national championship in 2005. He also played for Mizzou, and even faced Spurrier in the 1965 Sugar Bowl where Mizzou actually won. Spurrier also contacted him when he was at Florida and asked him to be their DC, but he turned him down for LSU, and Spurrier eventually hired Stoops.

**edit** I forgot that I did run into Cal Ripken Jr. at California Dreaming a couple of years ago when his son was here.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I went to a family reunion in Wilkes Bare, PA back around the year 2000. We didn't know it at the time but Jon Landau is like a 2nd or 3rd cousin of my father. Landau co-produced the Titanic (which I got to hold the Oscar for) and Avatar with James Cameron.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #16
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Harrison Ford
Rich Rodriguez
Jesse Jackson

Only one of those I was interested in speaking to.
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #17
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

I got trashed with Jude Law on several occasions while he was filming Cold Mountain in Charleston.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

I was at Harper's in Five Points Eddie Fogler came in all by himself either the day he interviewed for the Carolina job or his first day on the job I can't remember which.

I was in the Hilton Head Hospital and ran into Mohammed Ali. Really a nice guy!

I was in Pug's Five Points first day of school and in walks freshman Todd Ellis he was friendly.

At the Boathouse on Isle of Palm in walks Roy Williams, he has a house there along with several other celebrities. It was the year he turned down UNC but left Kansas the next year to coach UNC.

I had dinner with Tom Berenger and friends in Hilton Head and went to his house in Beaufort.

Got in a scuffle with Dwight Clark his girlfriend, Shawn Weatherly Miss Universe, and I were good friends and he went and got all jealous at a party. lol

Ran into Dave Meggett in Charleston at the Japanese Restaurant on Sam Rittenburg the restaurant is gone now but was one of the first sushi bar in Charleston. He was on go I mean on go!!!

Last edited by Rooster'srule; 08-20-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #19
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 355
Jethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPit

I was sitting at a bar in northest Atlanta (Sugar Hill area) near lake Lanier one night and a Phil Neikro came in and sat down beside me. We struck up a very casual conversation about how my dad had once sold him a summer home in Asheville a long time ago and how I thought that he coaching at Limestone college for their first few years of baseball was pretty cool. He looked at me and said " you're talking about that dumbass Gaylord Perry" I lost my beer and we laughed at my stupid confusion. We had about 4 beers,then he got my neighbors wife's number, Paid my tab, Signed my bar check ticket and said see ya around. Pretty fun night. Funny Story and has been told a few times on my Room mate's ESPN Spartanburg's Open Mic Daily radio show.

Also, I'm John Boyter. And that's a pretty Big deal!!

Last edited by Jethro Beaver; 08-20-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Jethro Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

One of my most vivid was in 86 or 87 I was 7 or 8 and saw Nikita koloff in the parking lot of the Taylor street pharmacy. Stayed in character the whole time. Some punk running his mouth and he said I will kill you little American (or something to that effect). Pulled his shirt off and gave the big flex he always did. Dude got in his car and drove away.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote