CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
tcmac08
EAtMoRTaYtErz
uscnoklahoma
jellafever
robgusc76
Order 66
TS-45 Gamecock
Copperhead
jimmy1370
aten999
**GAME #2 USC vs. Fl (10242)
Pharoh Cooper drafte (1103)
Jerell Adams drafted (913)
Anyone know if Musch (764)
KJ Brent (627)
CFM hires new assist (492)
Brandon Shell drafte (456)
2017 WNBA Mock Draft (328)
BETTER COVERED VERSI (278)
SECB: FLORIDA @ SOUT (221)
**GAME #2 USC vs. Florida
KJ Brent
Pharoh Cooper drafted i 4
Jerell Adams drafted in t
2017 Commitment - Kyshaun
2016 - Rakym Felder
Discussion: 2017 Recruiti
2018 - Xavier Thomas
Gamecock UDFA
2017 Commitment - Shawn S

Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Who Will Be The Best Unknown Player To Step Up This Season

Who is that quality-football loving-player that will rise up this year that nobody yet has been talking about or maybe is not on campus yet? Does anyone even have a clue. Seems like we have one like this every two or three years that comes off the practice teams or comes out of nowhere to be a solid player. For some of you that really keep up with the players on the squad now and those who are coming end this summer or fall, who might it be in your humble opinion???
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
aten999
4-Star

Male

aten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Who Will Be The Best Unknown Player To Step Up This Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
Who is that quality-football loving-player that will rise up this year that nobody yet has been talking about or maybe is not on campus yet? Does anyone even have a clue. Seems like we have one like this every two or three years that comes off the practice teams or comes out of nowhere to be a solid player. For some of you that really keep up with the players on the squad now and those who are coming end this summer or fall, who might it be in your humble opinion???
Can't zero in on one...We have too many spots where newcomers must contribute:

1. Brian Edwards
2. Jamari Smith
3. AJ Turner
4. Cory Helms
5. Donnell Stanley
6. Rico Dowdle
7. Keil Pollard
8. Jamarcus King
9. JC Jackson(Hoping it works out)
0. Kobe Smith
aten999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by aten999 View Post

1. Brian Edwards
2. Jamari Smith
3. AJ Turner
4. Cory Helms
5. Donnell Stanley
6. Rico Dowdle
7. Keil Pollard
8. Jamarcus King
0. Kobe Smith
Agree with Edwards
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
qcgamecock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 99999615014
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by aten999 View Post

1. Brian Edwards
2. Jamari Smith
3. AJ Turner
4. Cory Helms
5. Donnell Stanley
6. Rico Dowdle
7. Keil Pollard
8. Jamarcus King
0. Kobe Smith

Bryan Edwards...
qcgamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
jrussjr
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 304000000
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Javon Charleston

Daniel Fennell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
SpreadEm'Out
Walk On

Male

SpreadEm'Out is sharpening his clawsSpreadEm'Out is sharpening his clawsSpreadEm'Out is sharpening his clawsSpreadEm'Out is sharpening his clawsSpreadEm'Out is sharpening his claws

Rico Dowdle will be a household name by the end of the season. I've seen a lifetime's worth of college and high school football games and Dowdle is the most elusive and electrifying player I've ever seen play in person. I'll concede that the talent he was playing against in HS was relatively weak but that kind of creativity and vision is impressive regardless of who he was playing.
SpreadEm'Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
b381l
Jersey Retired

Male

CockyCash: 1000375616
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreadEm'Out View Post
Rico Dowdle will be a household name by the end of the season. I've seen a lifetime's worth of college and high school football games and Dowdle is the most elusive and electrifying player I've ever seen play in person. I'll concede that the talent he was playing against in HS was relatively weak but that kind of creativity and vision is impressive regardless of who he was playing.
this
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Two Words.

JAMARI SMITH !
Old 04-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
xXSirSpurXx
Walk On

Male

xXSirSpurXx is making other chickens nervousxXSirSpurXx is making other chickens nervousxXSirSpurXx is making other chickens nervousxXSirSpurXx is making other chickens nervousxXSirSpurXx is making other chickens nervousxXSirSpurXx is making other chickens nervousxXSirSpurXx is making other chickens nervous

Edwards has shown he can hang with the rest of the current receivers so looking to him. As for an unexpected star, thinking Charleston could fill that role.
xXSirSpurXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
SpreadEm'Out
Walk On

Male

SpreadEm'Out is sharpening his clawsSpreadEm'Out is sharpening his clawsSpreadEm'Out is sharpening his clawsSpreadEm'Out is sharpening his clawsSpreadEm'Out is sharpening his claws

For anyone interested or bored:

Some kids are "shifty" but elite speed (4.4 or so) paired with elite agility/ankle killer ability is as deadly as it is rare. The only guy I can think of to compare is Braxton Miller with the way he can make guys miss at full speed. Some of these cuts are just insane.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
CockpetBagger
Banned, James Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100550
CockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot material

I feel like Hayden Hurst could be a matchup nightmare at TE and could put up big numbers.
CockpetBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
Toneski
4-Star

Male

Toneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPit

Quote:
That is great hear! Watching the video you linked, was Dowdle a qb but recruited as a RB, and maybe would be rated as the the type of player you describe if he had been purely a RB in high school?

As for my pick, I'll go with Edwards. He looked so good in Spring Game though and there is so little competition for him that he may not classify as a "surprise" at his point.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2800
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Hope Spurt is right about Smith. Feel like he could be coached up to be a good player back there, but I felt like that for about two years.

I'm going to say...Nunez. IF Muschamp & co are really going to implement the Malzahn system, I just think Malzahn could really tear people up with Nunez. I'm admittedly still smitten with the performances at UGA, versus UCF and Clemson and can discount the road start at Mizzou somewhat.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #14
SpreadEm'Out
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneski View Post
That is great hear! Watching the video you linked, was Dowdle a qb but recruited as a RB, and maybe would be rated as the the type of player you describe if he had been purely a RB in high school?

As for my pick, I'll go with Edwards. He looked so good in Spring Game though and there is so little competition for him that he may not classify as a "surprise" at his point.
From what I understand, he played running back his first three years and was very productive but they also had a decent passing game to supplement his running. Then his senior year they had no QB talent so they decided to go single wing and get Rico as many touches as possible. Pretty smart call by the coach since according to MaxPreps, he had 60+ touchdowns (12 passing and 48 rushing) and 2382 yards rushing in 12 games. The crazy part is that he averaged 11.1 yards per carry on 200+ carries.

As for his ranking, he wasn't really on anyone's radar before his senior year to my knowledge. Don't get me wrong, he was good his junior year but against the level of competition in WNC, it takes a transcendent season like he had to really turn heads. I think being a late bloomer and the fact that he didn't do the summer camp circuit kept him under the radar. If he had played somewhere with more exposure (WNC football is mostly a joke outside of Asheville HS and Reynolds) I think he'd have been a high 4 star or 5 star guy. Just comparing tape, I think he has more upside than the 5-star Feaster kid out of Spartanburg.

As for Edwards, I expect him to be productive out of the gates as well. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he emerges as the go-to option at some point this year.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
Toneski
4-Star

Male

Toneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPitToneski rules the CockPit

I didn't know the kid had those kinds of stats this past season, wow! Since the starting RB job seems up for grabs he may be the surprise player. I'm ready for August to so we can start hearing more about him.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
wildwes
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 5792
wildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudlywildwes is crowing loudly

Shameik Blackshear!

I believe he is going to put the work in the weight room and be at full strength come fall. He got Clowney comps as high school recruit and now he is going to start showing some of that talent!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #17
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneski View Post
I didn't know the kid had those kinds of stats this past season, wow! Since the starting RB job seems up for grabs he may be the surprise player. I'm ready for August to so we can start hearing more about him.
Rico's junior film is more impressive and it displays him at RB instead of primarily at QB.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3270893/...ghts/214909377
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #18
aten999
4-Star

Male

aten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talonsaten999 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
I agree 100%...I have watched all the Dowdle highlights i could find on the web...WOW!!! Rico is a bigtime baller...He reminds me of a faster version of a back Carolina had a while back named Harold Greene...I think he makes an immediate impact this fall
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #19
aten999
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwes View Post
Shameik Blackshear!

I believe he is going to put the work in the weight room and be at full strength come fall. He got Clowney comps as high school recruit and now he is going to start showing some of that talent!

No doubt he has the talent...Now he is finally getting the coaching...The key will be how hard he works this summer to get stronger and fitter...If he puts in the work i have no doubts Thompson and Dillman will turn him into a ferocious pass rusher
Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #20
LBC
1st Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

I agree with Rico Dowdle. I have rarely seen a kid with better vision who is almost always running into/through the 'hole' no matter where he is on the field...even before the actual hole develops. He has an innate ability to look through the first guy or group in anticipation of the next guy and so on. He is ten yards ahead of where he is going. It is more than speed and quickness...which he has plenty of. It is the vision and anticipation that is what is so impressive...not to mention that he's around 6' and 200+ lbs.

His senior year he had almost 4,000 yards and 60 plus TDs and everyone on the field knew he was going to have his hands on the ball on almost every play.

Who knows how it transfers to the SEC but his highlight film is the best I've ever seen as it relates to vision and awareness on the field.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote