CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
cockymac
catdaddy66
uscjeremynca
rt3891
Independance Day gri (448)
Write Us Off (346)
God Bless America (168)
Fictional Movie char (153)
Happy Fourth! (118)
BBQ Musical Review f (100)
The BBQ Song (71)
2016 - John Simpson
Write Us Off
Will Max Schrock sign wit
Independance Day grilling
2015 Womens World Cup
Discussion: 2016 Recruit
2015 NBA Offseason
2016 - Kash Daniel
Seventh Woods (2016 Prosp
Preview of UNC

Old 01-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talons
Default Anyone ever fixed an XBox 360?

This question may be suited more for iCocky forum, but figured I'd ask here first. Feel free to move.

I have an old 360 that has the red ring of death (3 rings). It's just been sitting in my house for about 5 years now. I don't play much, and I obviously haven't in 5 years, but figured I might try and fix this thing with little effort. I've searched YouTube for fixes and probably watched 30 different videos. Most of them reach the same solution albeit many different ways. Some ask for money, cutting out parts of the video to get you to send them payment for their "secret fix". haha. Anyhow, didn't know if anyone had any suggestions/best ways to fix this thing. It's probably going in the trash if I don't fix it in the next month or so. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000001000968752
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Anyone ever fixed an XBox 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuroftheMoment View Post
This question may be suited more for iCocky forum, but figured I'd ask here first. Feel free to move.

I have an old 360 that has the red ring of death (3 rings). It's just been sitting in my house for about 5 years now. I don't play much, and I obviously haven't in 5 years, but figured I might try and fix this thing with little effort. I've searched YouTube for fixes and probably watched 30 different videos. Most of them reach the same solution albeit many different ways. Some ask for money, cutting out parts of the video to get you to send them payment for their "secret fix". haha. Anyhow, didn't know if anyone had any suggestions/best ways to fix this thing. It's probably going in the trash if I don't fix it in the next month or so. Thanks.
I'll go ahead and save you years of pain and regret by telling you to take that Xbox360 and throw it out the door. Pick up a PS3 or PS4. I have had to replace 5 Xbox360s for the same reason, and the 6th time it finally dawned on me that it wasn't me that was the problem. It was the Xbox. SO I kicked its ass to the curb, and snuggled up with a PS4. Never had the issue again.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100280
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I'll go ahead and save you years of pain and regret by telling you to take that Xbox360 and throw it out the door. Pick up a PS3 or PS4. I have had to replace 5 Xbox360s for the same reason, and the 6th time it finally dawned on me that it wasn't me that was the problem. It was the Xbox. SO I kicked its ass to the curb, and snuggled up with a PS4. Never had the issue again.
I don't think that answered his questuon. Nice fan boy post though.
Order 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

SpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talonsSpuroftheMoment has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post

Heck yeah, wish i could. But I don't game nearly enough to bother to spend the money on a new console. I'm almost 40 with 2 kids (who aren't old enough to play) so time is at a premium as you could imagine. My goal is to spend less than $20 and 2 to 3 hrs max using one of those fixes on YouTube. It'll be a few years before I can break the bank on a system for my oldest, which would then give me the excuse to play again.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

The "secret fix" is cracking open the case, removing the heatsink, reapplying heatsink compound, and putting it all back together.
cocky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I don't think that answered his questuon. Nice fan boy post though.
I did answer his question, I told him not to waste his time, money or any effort what so ever on that bad piece of machinery. When the same issue keeps happening over and over, or it just flat out quits reading discs entirely 5 months in to every purchase then it is not a success, it is a flawed system that sucks money up like a vacuum.

GET A PLAYSTATION. You will thank me later.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:

I have never fixed a RROD, but did have to fix my PS3 's disc drive a few times. The 360 is easier to get into...just don't loose any screws. You can find videos on how to fix it. The best thing I ever did to my 369 was open it and clean out all the dust. Btw...i still have an original 360 that still runs all day...no problems.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
The "secret fix" is cracking open the case, removing the heatsink, reapplying heatsink compound, and putting it all back together.
Yeah this does stop it from burning itself from the inside. Nice prefix, and then it quits reading discs all together. Not sure if Xbox1 has any similar issues, but I would rather not take the chance to find out. My point is, I shouldn't have to open up a console I spent hundreds on and fix it myself. The next gen especially, they aren't cheap.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post

No doubt, there's just 50 ways to do this with varying sized screws, parts, how much of this and that, etc. Which is why I wanted to know if anyone had actually done it and was successful.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

Quote:
I have never fixed a RROD, but did have to fix my PS3 's disc drive a few times. The 360 is easier to get into...just don't loose any screws. You can find videos on how to fix it. The best thing I ever did to my 369 was open it and clean out all the dust. Btw...i still have an original 360 that still runs all day...no problems.

I tried the towel trick once and got it up and running for about 10 minutes before it started going ape shit and the graphix module started overheating causing the whole thing to be super pixelated. By no means was that supposed to be the perm-fix, but figured I'd try for poops and giggles.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #11
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I tried the towel trick once and got it up and running for about 10 minutes before it started going ape shit and the graphix module started overheating causing the whole thing to be super pixelated. By no means was that supposed to be the perm-fix, but figured I'd try for poops and giggles.
I don't know why mine still works. I abused the thing pretty bad. I have a XBONE now, haven't had an issue out of it. I also have a ps3...it's disc drive is dead...go figure.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
I don't know why mine still works. I abused the thing pretty bad. I have a XBONE now, haven't had an issue out of it. I also have a ps3...it's disc drive is dead...go figure.
But Im the fan boy right? haha
Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

By the way, the backstory for this whole thing started when I was married the first time around. My first wife ended up divorcing me when I was around 26 years old. One of the reasons was that "I played games too much" blah blah blah. Which was untrue because rarely did I ever play when she was home. So we get divorced, I become single guy again, and then proceed to really play the crap out of my 360 and then I get the first RROD. Sent it back to Microsoft and they fixed for free. Even sent me the box to ship it in. Then on my birthday no less, my entire house is burned to the ground, and my XBox is practically untouched because of it's placement in my bedroom armoire, except that it was drenched in water from the hoses. So my insurance, who rocks by the way (USAA), reimburses the full amount of the XBox and I go back out and by another one. I even claimed the games were "bad", although they weren't, and went bought new games to double my titles. So then I move into my new house, new wife, new dog, no kids yet, play for about 4 or 5 months, and then bam, RROD again. I gave up after that until the other day when I found it stuffed away in a drawer, and figured what the hell, Ive heard about these fixes so why not try one with little to no effort.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #14
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Nah, I just told him my experience. Didn't throw a bunch of embellishments and opinions around.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:

If you knew that it was supposed to be in that forum why did you not post it in there first?

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:53 AM   #16
Storm Of Spurs
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 10800
Storm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot material

And to answer the original question...yes I have fixed a 360...temporarily.

I opened it up, replaced the thermal compound under the heatsink and used this X-clamp fix: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/xbox-36...lamp-fix-work/

Worked for another 6 months or so and then started the RRoD again so I finally chucked it.
Storm Of Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #17
johnnyb
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

not sure how intelligent it is to be bragging about committing insurance fraud on a public forum...

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #18
SECgamecock453
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot materialSECgamecock453 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

I have a 360 and PS3 and have had them for quite some time. All I can say is I love both consoles for different reasons (I am mostly a PC gamer now however). My original 360 purchased in 2005 or 2006 had the red ring of death and I believe I got a new one from MS, or rather a replacement or whatever it is they send you when under warranty. Ended up selling that one on eBay and getting another 360 a year and a half or so later (the Arcade one) from Best Buy in 2009 and haven't had a problem with it to this day (it had the newest chipset in it at the time and this was the Xbox where I had to purchase the starter pack with the 60 GB HD and stuff separately).

My PS3 which is the 120 GB version (not the piano shiny black original PS3) is that way because my original PS3 broke twice, had disc drive failure and the yellow lights which was complete power failure. Had to send it back to Sony and indicate that I had a game stuck in the disc drive because I couldn't even get that back. Actually I sent that PS3 back twice, the first time for the disc drive failure then after the second time sending it back due to power failure that's when they sent me the slim 120 GB version (which I had to pay $100 for - BS, right?) Haven't had a problem with that one since and it's been several years..

And let me be the first to tell you I keep everything I own in immaculate condition. I leave plenty of space in my entertainment center for my consoles (they are on separate shelves) and it's an open entertainment center on the back and front and there is about 5-6 inches on each side before the side walls. I also dust my devices. So yeah it's just the luck of the draw, and both the PS3 and 360 have had their issues. I bought an Xbox One from a friend brand new on January 4th and sold it on eBay by January 12th... I just didn't like it. For some reason the WiFi is HORRIBLE on the One whereas it's perfectly fine on PS3 and 360. Just could not get the proper router configurations to get it running to how I thought it should be. Since I am mostly a PC gamer now I will probably just pass on consoles for quite some time now... Steam sales are better anyways.
SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote