CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
SMOTFS86
B-G
doubledribble
GregoryHouse
gamecockgal
JaxcockFL
crowcutta
Has the window close (1062)
Bruce!!! (920)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (742)
Kentucky is dominati (670)
Question for those w (606)
UFC Fight Night 58: (448)
**USC vs. Coker GAME (286)
Going to the Duck Bo (218)
This one gets better (199)
2014 Subway Classic: (171)
Streaming nfl games
My early Monday dinner .
Bruce!!!
Madden Connected Franchis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Decommitment from Texas A
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
SOLID OAK ENTERTAINMENT C
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
official UFC thread. (new

Old 08-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Gaming PC upgrade advice.

I have only a decent PC for gaming right now. I am looking for some minor upgrades for my PC mainly I am only looking to upgrade the memory and the graphics card so long as my system can handle it. I am not looking to break the bank either. Here are my specs.

CPU = AMD Athlon II x4 630, 2.8 GHZ
MB = Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H
GPU = Nvidia GeoForce GTX 460, ~2GB (2513MB)
RAM = 4GB DDR3
OS = Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Power Supply = not sure, but I know it's 500W
Cooling System = not sure, but it has fans all over the place, do not want to go to water cooling or any other upgrade.

I have this case: NZXT VULCAN

I am basically planing on doubling the RAM from 4GB to 8GB. So basically I just would like some recommendations for some graphics cards that would be an inexpensive but significant upgrade without changing anything else. Let's keep the total cost under $250 for everything. The RAM will cost me about $40- $50 I know already.

Thanks for the input.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater
Default Re: Gaming PC upgrade advice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121867

$209 after rebate plus extra 5% off until 8/13.

this card will out perform the gtx 760 and get around gtx 770 with a small OC. It also has 3GB vRAM if you want to play at 1440p one day.

You'll be getting about double your current cards fps is most games maybe a little more provided you keep detail level around medium-high and AA off or at 2x you should be around or over 60 fps on my modern titles. Your cpu is a bit of a bottleneck though.

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I kind of would like to stay with Nvidia. And just to be clear this the card I have, I am almost positive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130611 It's supposed to be be a little better than your standard GTX 460. I am not trying to build a computer for the future. I am just trying to get the most out of this one. then I will sell it and buy a new more updated system maybe in a year or two.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

The video card shoul db first but I would also prefer a bit more CPU but I'm a major overcompensator, lol

I prefer AMD myself but here's a Nvidia

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121775
Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
rioninusc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000556
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Here is a great link readrooster about the performance of Nvidia video cards. The 760 is what you probably want, but you would have to go over the 250 dollar limit, depending on the deals you can get for the ram. I found a 244 dollar evga 760 that had a 10 dollar rebate(hate these dern things, why not auto discount,bah).

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...60/performance

You could go for the 750 ti 2gb with a 28% performance increase. The 760 gives you a 100% performance increase though.

244-10 rebate card 760 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130933

159-10 rebate card 750 TI 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487028

In all honesty I would go with the 750 TI, my Roommate has the 750 TI, and I have the 560 in SLI, and his card performs about as well on video games.

The higher end cards are meant for folks who have bigger monitors with higher resolutions than 1080p. If you have a 1080p resolution monitor stick with the mid grade cards, you will save about 200-300 dollars per upgrade. Mid grade is 750-760.

Last edited by rioninusc; 08-07-2014 at 07:00 PM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material

Nvidia doesn't give you the best value in your price range. That 280 I linked will smoke the 750ti and 760 and will come close to 770 levels for less money. I've had many card from both companies over the years but I usually go with the best bang for the buck at the time. If you want to pay more and get less just to stay brand loyal that's ok. If you really want to say with Nvidia you you get a factory OC'd gtx 770 my PNY 770 out performs a stock 780 but thats about $100 over your budget. AMD is really strong in the 200-300 range right now. Also the extra gig of vRAM will help you run things on higher settings, titanfall for example needs a ton of vRAM to use ultra textures.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I would suggest building a new base. Get a decent MB and an Intel i7. Go from there.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1357725516
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

If you want to upgrade your gaming experience, and you only have $250 to spend, put it ALL on a video card. As far as bang for your buck, you will get more "performance" just getting the video card. A lesser video card with the extra ram will not get the same performance.

What you could do, in addition to the new video card, is overclock your ram and cpu by 10%. A 2.8ghz cpu "could" be the bottleneck...... thus overclocking to 3.1GHZ, along with increasing your memory bandwidth, is the answer for the budget you have laid out.

Down the line you could upgrade your CPU..... I would suggest the
FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8GHz. This chip is easily over overclockable beyond 4ghz......

Also down the line you could upgrade your RAM..... What do you have now? 4 1gb sticks?

You could take a 1GB stick out, and replace it with a 4GB stick for under $40 delivered..... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eId=1&name=4GB
This would give you the opportunity to buy more ram when you got the cash, and still get you up to 7gb......

In conclusion, if $250 is your solid budget, put it all to GPU....... and upgrade the other parts when you get the cash......

Just my never humble $0.02........
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
If you want to upgrade your gaming experience, and you only have $250 to spend, put it ALL on a video card. As far as bang for your buck, you will get more "performance" just getting the video card. A lesser video card with the extra ram will not get the same performance.

What you could do, in addition to the new video card, is overclock your ram and cpu by 10%. A 2.8ghz cpu "could" be the bottleneck...... thus overclocking to 3.1GHZ, along with increasing your memory bandwidth, is the answer for the budget you have laid out.

Down the line you could upgrade your CPU..... I would suggest the
FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8GHz. This chip is easily over overclockable beyond 4ghz......

Also down the line you could upgrade your RAM..... What do you have now? 4 1gb sticks?

You could take a 1GB stick out, and replace it with a 4GB stick for under $40 delivered..... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eId=1&name=4GB
This would give you the opportunity to buy more ram when you got the cash, and still get you up to 7gb......

In conclusion, if $250 is your solid budget, put it all to GPU....... and upgrade the other parts when you get the cash......

Just my never humble $0.02........
I don't feel too comfortable with my knowledge about putting these things together and fine tuning them. That is not really part of the experience I am looking for. I have the Nvidia drivers already on this one. I might be open to higher end card if I can recoup at least half of that value back in resale. I just feel better letting someone else that knows what he/she is doing handling the building part and I would sell this one and buy the more advanced PC with the proceeds contributing. My memory is 2GB x2 with 2 empty slots left. I am just looking for something to get me buy for a while. Maybe I will just hold off on the GPU but if that keeps me from selling the thing for a decent price. I'll upgrade it.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I dunno. Just seems like you are just putting $ into an old system. You will still have an old system. Upgrading the RAM is OK. I don't think any 64 bit machine willl run too well with less than 8GB. Many of the games I play today are more dependent on CPU than GPU. My card, a GeForce 660 TI is just mid range. I have an i7 CPU though. I am able to run Bioshock Infinite and Elder Scrolls Online with all settings at ultra though.

At some point you will need to replace that old rig. Does it make more sense to put $250 into the old box or for a bit more have a platform for the future? You can get an i7-4790 for $300. Get a good MOBO and go from there.

Order Of The Spur
Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #11
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I don't feel too comfortable with my knowledge about putting these things together and fine tuning them. That is not really part of the experience I am looking for. I have the Nvidia drivers already on this one. I might be open to higher end card if I can recoup at least half of that value back in resale. I just feel better letting someone else that knows what he/she is doing handling the building part and I would sell this one and buy the more advanced PC with the proceeds contributing. My memory is 2GB x2 with 2 empty slots left. I am just looking for something to get me buy for a while. Maybe I will just hold off on the GPU but if that keeps me from selling the thing for a decent price. I'll upgrade it.
I dont overclock either and my system is designed for it. you can pm me if you want specifics...the bulk of my build is in CPU, video card and mobo

I can run everything on stupid hi res mode and never experience any lag or fps issues.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1357725516
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't feel too comfortable with my knowledge about putting these things together and fine tuning them. That is not really part of the experience I am looking for. I have the Nvidia drivers already on this one. I might be open to higher end card if I can recoup at least half of that value back in resale.
If you are not comfortable with putting computers together and fine tuning them, you should buy a dell.
Seriously, all the information you need to do a build or upgrade is out there. And since we are friends, I would even offer my services to you for free. Free advice on upgrades or new builds, or I will even build one for you.

As for selling used computer, or even used parts, in a years time, parts you buy today will be just short of obsolete..... difficult to recoup your money.

Also, one thing you need to understand, mixing and matching Intel and AMD parts is perfectly acceptable. You can mix them with absolutely no problems.

Lastly, Intels i7 CPU is a great part...... but it is not the proverbial "biggest bang for your buck"....... If you are on a budget build, the i7 is not for you.....

Now if you have Yancey's deep pockets and attitude, the i7 is perfect!

I truly encourage you to take the bull buy the horns! Don't rely on Michael Dell to build your PC...... do it yourself! Nothing beats putting it all together, and hitting that power button for the first time....... It is not as hard as you think......

But I stand by my original assessment....... If $250 is your budget, put that in GPU, and overclock your CPU/Memory by 5-10%....... that is going to provide you with the biggest bang for your buck.

PM me if I can help in any way......
Old 08-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #13
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I dunno. Just seems like you are just putting $ into an old system. You will still have an old system. Upgrading the RAM is OK. I don't think any 64 bit machine willl run too well with less than 8GB. Many of the games I play today are more dependent on CPU than GPU. My card, a GeForce 660 TI is just mid range. I have an i7 CPU though. I am able to run Bioshock Infinite and Elder Scrolls Online with all settings at ultra though.

At some point you will need to replace that old rig. Does it make more sense to put $250 into the old box or for a bit more have a platform for the future? You can get an i7-4790 for $300. Get a good MOBO and go from there.
The thing is. I am not a big time gamer. I don't need to have the newest games. I do plan on buying a PS4 at some point soon. And I am more than happy buying old PC games because I just frankly have not gotten around to playing many of them. I just bought and downloaded 4 games that I am actually excited about even if they were old because they were dirt-cheap all four only cost $34. 1. Child of Light (the only newish one)2. Alice 2 : Madness returns. 3. Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition 4. And Borderlands GTY edition. What I have right now can run those games at Max and beyond.

Eventually I do want to get a Core i7 and GTX760 or higher GPU by the time I get around to that it will probably be second-rate, but I am okay with that.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #14
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
If you are not comfortable with putting computers together and fine tuning them, you should buy a dell.
Seriously, all the information you need to do a build or upgrade is out there. And since we are friends, I would even offer my services to you for free. Free advice on upgrades or new builds, or I will even build one for you.

As for selling used computer, or even used parts, in a years time, parts you buy today will be just short of obsolete..... difficult to recoup your money.

Also, one thing you need to understand, mixing and matching Intel and AMD parts is perfectly acceptable. You can mix them with absolutely no problems.

Lastly, Intels i7 CPU is a great part...... but it is not the proverbial "biggest bang for your buck"....... If you are on a budget build, the i7 is not for you.....

Now if you have Yancey's deep pockets and attitude, the i7 is perfect!

I truly encourage you to take the bull buy the horns! Don't rely on Michael Dell to build your PC...... do it yourself! Nothing beats putting it all together, and hitting that power button for the first time....... It is not as hard as you think......

But I stand by my original assessment....... If $250 is your budget, put that in GPU, and overclock your CPU/Memory by 5-10%....... that is going to provide you with the biggest bang for your buck.

PM me if I can help in any way......
LOL. By the time I get around to when I am ready for a new system, and i7 will probably be closer to what I am willing to pay. You are right, I could probably do it, maybe I will when the time comes, but I just don't really want toright now. I'd rather spend that time ON my computer than building it. Also it's not that I couldn't pay more, it's just that any more than that I can definitely say it's not worth it to me.

As far as overclocking though, I am honestly too afraid to try. I have never done it before. Eventhough I know it would probably be okay to just overclock it a little bit. I don't want to risk it. I don't have water cooling.

I'll take what you said into consideration.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
The thing is. I am not a big time gamer. I don't need to have the newest games. I do plan on buying a PS4 at some point soon. And I am more than happy buying old PC games because I just frankly have not gotten around to playing many of them. I just bought and downloaded 4 games that I am actually excited about even if they were old because they were dirt-cheap all four only cost $34. 1. Child of Light (the only newish one)2. Alice 2 : Madness returns. 3. Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition 4. And Borderlands GTY edition. What I have right now can run those games at Max and beyond.

Eventually I do want to get a Core i7 and GTX760 or higher GPU by the time I get around to that it will probably be second-rate, but I am okay with that.
Dragon Age is one of my favorites. You can pick up a cheap copy of Fallout 3 on sale too. Perhaps an i5 instead of an i7. LOL

Order Of The Spur
Old 08-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #16
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Nothing wrong with waiting until next gen chipsets are out you can save big $ that way and still run new games for 10-12 months or so
Old 08-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121867

$209 after rebate plus extra 5% off until 8/13.

this card will out perform the gtx 760 and get around gtx 770 with a small OC. It also has 3GB vRAM if you want to play at 1440p one day.

You'll be getting about double your current cards fps is most games maybe a little more provided you keep detail level around medium-high and AA off or at 2x you should be around or over 60 fps on my modern titles. Your cpu is a bit of a bottleneck though.
I decided to go ahead and upgrade the PC. I'm going to buy the card you suggested. I am going to upgrade my CPU to an AMD Phenom II x6 1075T (which is basically the best CPU compatible with my motherboard) and I am going to upgrade to 8GB of DDR3 RAM. All together it's going to cost me $395. The price of the PS4 I decided NOT buy because the prices of the games are too expensive for next gen consoles right now. So no instead of playing Witcher 3 on a PS4. I'll be playing a bunch of good games hopefully in high-ultra settings including Witcher 3 in 1080p.

Thanks for the advice. You helped me figure out what I wanted to do. I am not really keen on building a PC from scratch but I think I can handle a CPU, Graphics card and some Memory.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #18
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Dragon Age is one of my favorites. You can pick up a cheap copy of Fallout 3 on sale too. Perhaps an i5 instead of an i7. LOL
I had Fallout 3 years ago on the 360 played it a good bit then traded it in. Now I have Borderlands for PC. I am liking Dragon Age better that I expected. It kind of reminds me of a good dungeon crawler like a Baldur's Gate crossed with something like Final Fantasy 12. Also I have modded it a bit already to make it look better have more quests and more tactical options.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
I decided to go ahead and upgrade the PC. I'm going to buy the card you suggested. I am going to upgrade my CPU to an AMD Phenom II x6 1075T (which is basically the best CPU compatible with my motherboard) and I am going to upgrade to 8GB of DDR3 RAM. All together it's going to cost me $395. The price of the PS4 I decided NOT buy because the prices of the games are too expensive for next gen consoles right now. So no instead of playing Witcher 3 on a PS4. I'll be playing a bunch of good games hopefully in high-ultra settings including Witcher 3 in 1080p.

Thanks for the advice. You helped me figure out what I wanted to do. I am not really keen on building a PC from scratch but I think I can handle a CPU, Graphics card and some Memory.
Glad to help man, you'll be set for a while with that upgrade. You may have to turn things like shadows and anti-aliasing down a little but you should be able to maintain 60+ fps in just about everthing with high to ultra textures. I usually lean pretty hard towards nvidia cards but in your price range you just can't beat that 280.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #20
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
I had Fallout 3 years ago on the 360 played it a good bit then traded it in. Now I have Borderlands for PC. I am liking Dragon Age better that I expected. It kind of reminds me of a good dungeon crawler like a Baldur's Gate crossed with something like Final Fantasy 12. Also I have modded it a bit already to make it look better have more quests and more tactical options.
Yeah, I used one mod that made the gals nekkid and another one that allowed a bit of lesbo-a-go-go in the tents.

Order Of The Spur