CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
taylorssc
b381l
Regalcock
highstick
jgoodwin25
carolina_corpsman
ccured
Order 66
qcgamecock
RGHoskins
Marriage... and Sex (1192)
Spurrier says 6 more (929)
Secondary (582)
Brady's 4 Game Suspe (486)
Any Summer Workout U (335)
Aquariums (221)
Chevrolet Tru (209)
Gamecocks in the NFL (166)
Happy Birthday Khosk (110)
Tatum out as Gambit (80)
Mon Denson Update
NFL prediction time
Furman Kickers Trick Shot
Wide Receivers
Secondary
Work around the stadium
Rank the teams on our sch
Discussion: 2016 Recruit
Brady's 4 Game Suspension
Preseason Camp Begins Aug

Old 05-25-2015, 03:04 AM   #1
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 41512
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default 2016 Commitment - Will Putnam

6-5, 270 OT from Hickory Ridge High out of Harrisburg, NC. Coach Elliott offered him last week, and he's planning to make a visit in mid June. His other offers are from Coastal Carolina, Elon, Charlotte, and Gardner Webb. Per GamecockCentral he is on commitment watch:

Quote:
Putnam said Hickory Ridge coach Marty Paxton had recently sent some of his game footage to the Gamecocks, and South Carolina offensive line coach Shawn Elliott called Thursday to follow up.

“Coach Elliott wanted to get my height and weight, and he was asking my coach character questions and other thing to get to know what kind of guy I am,” Putnam said. “Then (Elliott) said he didn’t need to see me in camp (at South Carolina). He said he saw all he needed to see in my film, basically.

“Coach Paxton said, ‘Well, I haven’t heard you say that (scholarship) word yet.’ That’s when Coach Elliott said, ‘We’re offering him.’”
http://www.independenttribune.com/sp...BUdft0.twitter

247Sports Profile

Rivals Profile
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2016 - Will Putnam

no other D1 offers, huh?
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
FLgamecockJAX
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FLgamecockJAX is sharpening his clawsFLgamecockJAX is sharpening his clawsFLgamecockJAX is sharpening his clawsFLgamecockJAX is sharpening his claws

Other D1 programs said he was too small. He will definitely need to add weight. Hopefully, he can add good weight without slowing down his footwork.
FLgamecockJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:30 AM   #4
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1000022205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

if he likes Columbia at the Showcase, he'll probably commit then.
They really like his film. He's a little on the small side now, but Matulis only weighed 275 as a freshman playing LT.....but he is 6'5" so he has the frame to add weight.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
6-5, 270 OT from Hickory Ridge High out of Harrisburg, NC. Coach Elliott offered him last week, and he's planning to make a visit in mid June. His other offers are from Coastal Carolina, Elon, Charlotte, and Gardner Webb. Per GamecockCentral he is on commitment watch:

http://www.independenttribune.com/sp...BUdft0.twitter

247Sports Profile

Rivals Profile
I'm not trying to demine the kid, but his lack of quality offers concerns me. We're competing with Costal, Elon, Charlotte and Gardner Webb for O-linemen now???
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
I'm not trying to demine the kid, but his lack of quality offers concerns me. We're competing with Costal, Elon, Charlotte and Gardner Webb for O-linemen now???
pay sites say he has really good film......I was a little worried about his offers too till I read what they had to say about him.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

rrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPit

If it were Feburary, 2016, I'd be worried about his offer sheet if we were scrambling to fill o-line positions. This early, however, I'd defer to our coaches' evaluation. A lot of posters on here were upset about JuJu Morris' lack of offers and stars last summer when he committed but I believe that 247 has made him a 4*.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Yea, I get it that he is only 270 lbs, but did anyone see his 2013 stats as a DE? 120 tackles, 11 TFL, and 3 TFL. That is pretty impressive for a HS sophomore. Plus he plays basketball. Elliot may have come across a good candidate. The current two top OL who are 5* are not much bigger than him, so from my perspective, his small list of offers don't mean squat about how good this kid could be. I'll take an athletic OL at this point and let the staff provide the guidance to develop his skill set and strenghth.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
pay sites say he has really good film......I was a little worried about his offers too till I read what they had to say about him.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2227283/...s/220117379/v2

Perfect fit for a zone read offense. He will only get larger and quicker. Tape is impressive. No idea why he doesnt have more offers.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksmith1or11 View Post
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2227283/...s/220117379/v2

Perfect fit for a zone read offense. He will only get larger and quicker. Tape is impressive. No idea why he doesnt have more offers.
Now that we offered, those other offers are probably just around the corner.

It looks like a lot of schools are taking a hard look at kids that have really quick feet to combat against the speed of the pass rushing DE. Another position change that looks to be taking place is smaller and faster LB that can run and cover RB out of the backfield and short WR routes instead of the bigger slower run stoppers.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Putnam does look good in his film and I feel good about being the first big program to go after him.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
AmonRa777
Blue Chip

Male

AmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Putnam does look good in his film and I feel good about being the first big program to go after him.

I maintain great confidence in our staffs ability to evaluate talent...On occassions i question their commitment to persistent effort on the recruiting trial...No doubt in my mind they know more about talent than Rivals and the bubble wrap for brains Saban worshipers at ESPN
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #13
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

He sho likes to knock em down.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
I maintain great confidence in our staffs ability to evaluate talent...On occassions i question their commitment to persistent effort on the recruiting trial...No doubt in my mind they know more about talent than Rivals and the bubble wrap for brains Saban worshipers at ESPN
I think they have worked harder in 2015 than ever before.....they got complacent and now they're out to prove those three 11 win seasons weren't a fluke....their professional reputations are on the line....
Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #15
AmonRa777
Blue Chip

Male

AmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I think they have worked harder in 2015 than ever before.....they got complacent and now they're out to prove those three 11 win seasons weren't a fluke....their professional reputations are on the line....

Thank you... dang glad to hear it
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #16
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

He will be in Columbia tomorrow after the dead period ends......will pick between us and VaTech no later than Wednesday. We are in good shape here.

This is one of those kids we're hoping Elliott has a good evaluation on. We can't afford to miss especially on these OL.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #17
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Shane Beamer has been working him hard. Seems his offer list picked up a little bit.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Putnam gives USC a final look on decision eve

OL Will Putnam of Harrisburg, NC spent about four hours at USC Monday mostly with offensive line coach Shawn Elliott for one final look at the Gamecocks before he makes a final decision between them and Virginia Tech. Putnam said he will have his mind made up on Tuesday by 3:00 PM.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #19
sporkgod50
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1097530360
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Putnam gives USC a final look on decision eve

OL Will Putnam of Harrisburg, NC spent about four hours at USC Monday mostly with offensive line coach Shawn Elliott for one final look at the Gamecocks before he makes a final decision between them and Virginia Tech. Putnam said he will have his mind made up on Tuesday by 3:00 PM.
well that bodes well.

Mercy, bear coup!
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #20
Wisercock
Recruit

Male

Wisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPitWisercock rules the CockPit

Anyone have a feel for what he is thinking? Sounds like a smart young man and we could definitely use him the next few years.