Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Press Conf (9542)
Did Spurrier retire (7000)
Shawn Elliot Interim (5003)
What must Elliott do (3465)
Todd Ellis on Dan Pa (3275)
Doesn't matter who o (2031)
Keeping 2016 class i (1946)
Spurrier Field at Wi (1795)
Win out. (1342)
Elliot Changes (1318)
Let's remember the amazin
Official Coaching Search
Keeping 2016 class intact
Win out.
We have the monies
2016 Commitment - JaCorey
Mangus & Wharton prom
2016 Commitment - Brandon

Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Gamecock Stock
Two Deep

CockyCash: 500
Gamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPitGamecock Stock rules the CockPit
Default 2 College Head Football Coaches to keep your eyes on.

There are two Head Football Coaches to keep your eyes on for bigger and better things:

1. Dave Doeren of NC State. He has been a Defensive Coordinator as an assistant. But, in his first head coaching job at Northern Illinois, his teams were offensive scoring machines with excellent balance between the run and the pass. In his first year at NI, they went 11-3 (7-1 in conference, winning the MAC). In his 2nd and last year at NI, they improved to 12-1 (8-0, winning the MAC) and landing in the Orange Bowl. Doeren then succeeded Tom O'Brien at NC State. In his first year, he went 3-9 (0-8). Last season, his 2nd, they improved to 8-5 (3-5) with the 3rd youngest team in the nation. He obviously knows how to coach.

Can he recruit? He is from the Midwest and thus, has had to develop southern contacts. His first full recruiting class at NC State ranked #34. He improved on that, bringing in the #31 recruiting class this year. Compare all that to Tom O'Brien's last 5 recruiting classes: 54, 72, 35, 48 and 21. Both of Doeren's classes were ranked higher than 4 of O'Brien's last 5 recruiting classes. Doeren served as Recruiting Coordinator at Kansas. Thus, I suspect he likes that part of the job. Having served as a Recruiting Coordinator, I'm sure he understands its importance. He is only 43 years-old.

2. Tom Herman of Houston. He has been an Offensive Coordinator and QB coach as an assistant. His offenses, too, have been well-balanced scoring machines, setting all kinds of positive records. He was Urban Meyer's Offensive Coordinator and QB coach the past 3 seasons at Ohio State. Last year he won the Broyles Award as the top assistant football coach in the nation. Houston is his first head coaching job, this year. He has gotten off to a 2-0 start, including beating a school from one of the Power 5 conferences, Louisville, this past weekend, on the road.

Can he recruit? Well, he worked for Urban Meyers. That's all I need to know. I remember seeing Meyers on television on a Friday night before a Saturday Florida Gator game. Meyer was actually on the high school sideline watching prospects in action. You don't see many Head Coaches doing that before a Saturday game. You see assistant coaches but, rarely the Head Coach. Anyway, Tom Herman coaches in the AAC conference. Houston currently has the number one recruiting class in the AAC conference. He is young....only 40.

Anyway, those are 2 head coaches to keep your eyes on. I'm not predicting we will have an opening at the end of the season. But, you never know.
Gamecock Stock is offline   Reply With Quote