CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
CockyLifer
Badazcock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27514)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2132)
Simple "yes&quo (1474)
Phil Steele just pre (1200)
We actually didnt lo (1133)
Eat Crow (901)
what I think ab ward (888)
Extremely Proud (773)
Garcia: Change the R (754)
TeMarcus Blanton (702)
Extremely Proud
Nick Marshall
I want people to explain
We would be 7-1 with just
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
what I think ab ward
Defense question
We actually didnt lose
Simple "yes" or
End of the first half....

Old 08-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #1
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit
Default WR Depth Chart/Rotation

Looks like WR Coach 'Bubba' Spurrier has his guys that are going to play next Thursday. Think DThompson will have good mix of guys to throw to this season.

We pretty much knew Googer & Shaq Davidson were going to redshirt (still likely)...but I'm very surprised that Deebo Samual didn't crack the top 8 in the WR corps after all the good things I've read & heard coming out of fall camp. Wonder if he'll be primarily a ST player early in the season OR is redshirt still a possibility?? Very curious on this situation.

GO COCKS!!

Quote:
Steve Spurrier Jr. identified his receiver rotation for A&M.

The top four are Shaq Roland, Pharoh Cooper, Nick Jones and Damiere Byrd. Shamier Jeffery and K.J. Brent will be Nos. 5-6, while Kane Whitehurst and Carlton Heard will be 7-8.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:14 AM   #2
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit
Default Re: WR Depth Chart/Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
Looks like WR Coach 'Bubba' Spurrier has his guys that are going to play next Thursday. Think DThompson will have good mix of guys to throw to this season.

We pretty much knew Googer & Shaq Davidson were going to redshirt (still likely)...but I'm very surprised that Deebo Samual didn't crack the top 8 in the WR corps after all the good things I've read & heard coming out of fall camp. Wonder if he'll be primarily a ST player early in the season OR is redshirt still a possibility?? Very curious on this situation.

GO COCKS!!
Looks like Shamier won't get his shot until next season. It's good we have so much depth!
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCockMaster View Post
Looks like Shamier won't get his shot until next season. It's good we have so much depth!
#5 & #6 will get some chances but cannot drop the ball or the coach will go to #7 and so on. Gotta make some plays and show your value for more pt.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post

GO COCKS!!
I imagine it's just a case of Deebo not being fully down with the playbook yet....he could still rise up during the season if he learns the routes well enough, similar to how Alshon got more PT his freshman season (not saying that Deebo has a Alshon-like season). I can see him jump past both Kane and Carlton after the first few weeks. If it goes too far however, he could be red-shirted unless they use him extensively in STs - the WR depth for 2014 doesn't necessarily mandate any true freshman taking the field, unless we have a rash of injuries which I sure hope we don't....

He's got to prove that he's too good to be red-shirted, like Pharoh did last season....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

not too surprising that we're going to roll with the veterans in the opener. sos jr said after about 2 or 3 weeks we'll likely know who will redshirt out of the freshmen wr's. i dont think we're going to rush samuel out there on special teams either. i want to say cooper didnt get his first action as a returner until the arkansas game.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
fridayserv
Recruit

Male

fridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervousfridayserv is making other chickens nervous

Can someone tell me what is up with 6'8 Matt Harvey. I saw the kid play in High School, this is his 3rd year in Columbia. This kid can play, He looks bigger and stronger after two years in S&C. He caught a few balls in the Spring game. Any real information out there.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

He is a walk-on that can't beat out scholarship players.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Not much surprise with this rotation outside of Samuel.

I'm guessing this is the rotation:

X - Roland / Jeffery
Z - Cooper / Brent
B - Jones / Byrd

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

X - Roland / Jeffery
Z - Cooper / Brent
B - Jones / Byrd
Nick Jones just keeps on ticking. I don't remember him as turning heads when we signed him yet he has been important to our offense for years.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I'm pretty sure Byrd starts unless they open with 2 tight ends. Jones might be preferred on running plays. Also, I seem to remember them liking to try Byrd on some sort of jet sweep early in games.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I'm pretty sure Byrd starts unless they open with 2 tight ends. Jones might be preferred on running plays.
From what I can gather, Byrd is going to rotate all 3 spots. Just plug him in where he creates a mismatch.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I think Deebo not being their is a testament to the depth.

But, if one of our guys starts to struggle, I wouldn't be surprised to see Deebo take the field maybe midseason (a lot like how Pharoh Cooper did).
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:

X - Roland / Jeffery
Z - Cooper / Brent
B - Jones / Byrd
Agree.
Nick Jones seems to be Thompson's safety blanket.
Also seems like Thompson likes throwing the Jerrell Adams too from the practice reports.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Not flashy, but a solid bunch. Roland has a shot at an Alshon type year.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Not flashy, but a solid bunch. Roland has a shot at an Alshon type year.
Roland
Byrd
Cooper

have plenty of flash
Old 08-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
CackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot material

Quote:
From what I can gather, Byrd is going to rotate all 3 spots. Just plug him in where he creates a mismatch.
Old school Spurrier, create a mismatch. If we can consistently pick on the weakest link with Byrd this offense will score a lot of points.

CackDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #17
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Agree.
Nick Jones seems to be Thompson's safety blanket.
Also seems like Thompson likes throwing the Jerrell Adams too from the practice reports.
This will be the first time we will see what the results will be for putting the TEs under Coach Mangus' responsibility.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 AM   #18
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Pharaoh Cooper 4 run.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #19
Cockfanga
Walk On

Male

Cockfanga has hatched from the shell

I still have a problem with them not using Byrd or Whitehurst when they can stretch the field and open things up underneath or let Dylan let it fly deep. Those two....not sure too many DB's can run with them. Jeez, it will even open up the running game more. Whatever - Spurrier makes a lot more money than I do :-)
Cockfanga is offline   Reply With Quote