CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
No Comments on the H (1409)
Freshman ND WR " (479)
Call of Duty: Advanc (453)
Good Riddance to bad (266)
Keeping tailgate foo (249)
Things They Should H (224)
Vote For Cocky (219)
An A to Z of Noah We (135)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (116)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (39)
Vote For Cocky
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ A
NCAAF: OREGON @ CALIFORNI
NCAAF: BYU @ BOISE STATE
NCAAF: TEXAS @ KANSAS STA
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
So Disappointed With The
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI STATE
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MICHIGA
NCAAF: WEST VIRGINIA @ OK

Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons
Default I have not bought into our O-line hype yet

But this is great to read. I think Corey has had some difficult times on the line. I am hoping this year he will really shine. If he does that is a huge position of strength for Carolina.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/08/2...d-to-earn.html

Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: I have not bought into our O-line hype yet

I haven't either. Waldrop was attacked by schemes devised by Clemson and Wisconsin DCs, and that disrupted several offensive plays. I know Waldrop was injured, but it looked to me as though he was also indecisive. I am hoping it was just the injury.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I haven't either. Waldrop was attacked by schemes devised by Clemson and Wisconsin DCs, and that disrupted several offensive plays. I know Waldrop was injured, but it looked to me as though he was also indecisive. I am hoping it was just the injury.
Waldrop was a redshirt freshman making him the least experienced lineman and he missed most of the year with an injury. He plays arguably the toughest and most important position on the line. He will be a year older, stronger and smarter and that should prove to be most beneficial.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

There are a couple of issues in OL criticism that usually get overlooked. The "dominate" expectation just doesn't hold up in the SEC. These guys face DT's and DE's who are among the best in the country. Holding them off a high percentage of the time is rarely done by anybody. Secondly, teams like Clemson last year regularly stack the box against good running teams. That makes pass protection and running very difficult with run/pass pressure and stunting. The coaches, QB, and run/pass crew have to make them pay by exploiting what they are given. When our QB prior to Shaw was here, they pressured him with run-blitz and a stacked box often, because he had such accuracy problems. Shaw often made them pay with QB runs and middle screens. If the QB is off, playcalling is bad, or linemen are worn down, the blame is often cast at the OL. It takes a whole team effort (plus coaches) to offset a defense aimed at stopping a team's best offensive weapon. That's why UNC, ECU, etc. used their speed/wide game against our DL that was too much for their OL without stunting or linebacker pressure. I contend that the dominating OL in SEC play is more perception than reality. Anything can be schemed against if it isn't countered.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
There are a couple of issues in OL criticism that usually get overlooked. The "dominate" expectation just doesn't hold up in the SEC. These guys face DT's and DE's who are among the best in the country..............................
Agreed! It ain't like the old days when OLs on the top ten teams all dominated their opponent. Just about every SEC team seems to send one DL to the pros every year. The line play in the SEC is at a very high level on both sides of the ball. You don't see many pancake blocks in the SEC because there are no pancakes on the defenses to block.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
There are a couple of issues in OL criticism that usually get overlooked. The "dominate" expectation just doesn't hold up in the SEC. These guys face DT's and DE's who are among the best in the country. Holding them off a high percentage of the time is rarely done by anybody. Secondly, teams like Clemson last year regularly stack the box against good running teams. That makes pass protection and running very difficult with run/pass pressure and stunting. The coaches, QB, and run/pass crew have to make them pay by exploiting what they are given. When our QB prior to Shaw was here, they pressured him with run-blitz and a stacked box often, because he had such accuracy problems. Shaw often made them pay with QB runs and middle screens. If the QB is off, playcalling is bad, or linemen are worn down, the blame is often cast at the OL. It takes a whole team effort (plus coaches) to offset a defense aimed at stopping a team's best offensive weapon. That's why UNC, ECU, etc. used their speed/wide game against our DL that was too much for their OL without stunting or linebacker pressure. I contend that the dominating OL in SEC play is more perception than reality. Anything can be schemed against if it isn't countered.
Good post....all things considered, the OL should be better than last year, how much better is yet to be determined. If teams stack the box against us and we can't throw to back them away from the LOS, then we're going to have a tough year. With Dylan having little experience and Mike Davis being one of the best RB in the country, we can expect to see this defense early and often. So our WR and TE are going to get singled a lot.....Dylan is going to have to be accurate early. With all the talent we have on offense, I'm going to be disappointed if we don't come close to 500 yards a game this year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Waldrop doesn't worry me as much as our tackles. They have whiffed against average ends quite a bit.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I have not bought into our O-line hype yet
The only hype is by those that know no better. I don't expect it to be a great OL, but will be the first kid jumping up and down if they turn out to be something special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Waldrop doesn't worry me as much as our tackles. They have whiffed against average ends quite a bit.
Yep...against smaller/quicker guys who just zipped on by. They also still struggle against a stunt or blitz....just don't see it.
But everyone does this and it's so much a part of the game today. Still, it was disappointing to see Wisconsin put on a clinic of how to block against one of the better DLs in the nation back in Jan. Better skill players won that bowl game for us.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
It's not that bad really. It seem worse because as fans we focus on the weakness of our team and not on others, but it happens to just about all teams every game. Did you see Kouandijo vs. Oklahoma last year? Sometimes the guy on the other side of the line wins, sometimes you stop them. I think we are better than average in pass protection. We should be pretty dominate in run blocking. We have experienced NFL talent at both tackle spots. That makes me optimistic.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
The only hype is by those that know no better. I don't expect it to be a great OL, but will be the first kid jumping up and down if they turn out to be something special.
Yep...against smaller/quicker guys who just zipped on by. They also still struggle against a stunt or blitz....just don't see it.
But everyone does this and it's so much a part of the game today. Still, it was disappointing to see Wisconsin put on a clinic of how to block against one of the better DLs in the nation back in Jan. Better skill players won that bowl game for us.
what was the score in the Wisconsin game.....I seem to have forgotten.

the coaches and all the insider experts have said our OL line will be much improved over last year. maybe you should call them and let them you know that's not going to be the case.....
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post

the coaches and all the insider experts have said our OL line will be much improved over last year. maybe you should call them and let them you know that's not going to be the case.....
I saw spurrier after spring practice, and I assure you he was not happy with our run blocking at the end of the year or in spring practice. He thought Florida and Wisky really stuffed our run. The only long run against UF was a draw where the linemen let them in...
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #12
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:

That really contributed to the discussion....
Old 08-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I saw spurrier after spring practice, and I assure you he was not happy with our run blocking at the end of the year or in spring practice. He thought Florida and Wisky really stuffed our run. The only long run against UF was a draw where the linemen let them in...
I haven't gone back and looked at those games, but I think both of them brought a safety up to the LOS and forced Shaw to beat them....plus Florida's defense was pretty good all year. Taters stuffed our run pretty well too. But that was last year. My original comment was that most people that have seen them during camp think the OL is much improved over last year.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
That really contributed to the discussion....
if you read what I said, the people that have seen them during camp said they are playing much better which has given a lot of people a reason to be optimistic about this year.....everybody but you anyway....
Old 08-22-2014, 12:42 AM   #15
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Here are the concensus All SEC team from 7-8 CBS predictions....perhaps you'll notice 2 of our starting 5 are on the list.

SEC ALL-CONFERENCE
POS PLAYER YR SCHOOL
QB Nick Marshall Sr. Auburn
RB Todd Gurley Jr. Georgia
RB Mike Davis Jr. South Carolina
WR Amari Cooper Jr. Alabama
WR Malcome Kennedy Sr. Texas A&M
TE O.J. Howard Soph. Alabama
OT Cedric Ogbuehi Sr. Texas A&M
OT Brandon Shell Jr. South Carolina
OG A.J. Cann Sr. South Carolina

OG Vadal Alexander Jr. LSU
C Reese Dismukes Sr. Auburn
DE Dante Fowler Jr. Florida
DE Alvin Dupree Sr. Kentucky
DT A'Shawn Robinson Soph. Alabama
DT Chris Jones Soph. Mississippi State
LB Ramik Wilson Sr. Georgia
LB Trey DePriest Sr. Alabama
LB Jordan Jenkins Jr. Georgia
CB Vernon Hargeaves III Soph. Florida
CB Deshazor Everett Sr. Texas A&M
S Landon Collins Jr. Alabama
S Tony Conner Soph. Ole Miss
K Marshall Morgan Jr. Georgia
P Drew Kaser Jr. Texas A&M
KR Christion Jones Sr. Alabama
PR Marcus Murphy Sr. Missouri
All-Purpose Trey Williams Jr. Texas A&M
Old 08-22-2014, 01:10 AM   #16
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Here are the concensus All SEC team from 7-8 CBS predictions....perhaps you'll notice 2 of our starting 5 are on the list.

SEC ALL-CONFERENCE
POS PLAYER YR SCHOOL
QB Nick Marshall Sr. Auburn
RB Todd Gurley Jr. Georgia
RB Mike Davis Jr. South Carolina
WR Amari Cooper Jr. Alabama
WR Malcome Kennedy Sr. Texas A&M
TE O.J. Howard Soph. Alabama
OT Cedric Ogbuehi Sr. Texas A&M
OT Brandon Shell Jr. South Carolina
OG A.J. Cann Sr. South Carolina
OG Vadal Alexander Jr. LSU
C Reese Dismukes Sr. Auburn
DE Dante Fowler Jr. Florida
DE Alvin Dupree Sr. Kentucky
DT A'Shawn Robinson Soph. Alabama
DT Chris Jones Soph. Mississippi State
LB Ramik Wilson Sr. Georgia
LB Trey DePriest Sr. Alabama
LB Jordan Jenkins Jr. Georgia
CB Vernon Hargeaves III Soph. Florida
CB Deshazor Everett Sr. Texas A&M
S Landon Collins Jr. Alabama
S Tony Conner Soph. Ole Miss
K Marshall Morgan Jr. Georgia
P Drew Kaser Jr. Texas A&M
KR Christion Jones Sr. Alabama
PR Marcus Murphy Sr. Missouri
All-Purpose Trey Williams Jr. Texas A&M

Well the actuals were released today... This one is the predictions from last week.
The first team SEC has only one USC guy on offense and that is Davis at RB and none on the defense team.

Then you have Cann and Robinson on the 2nd team and still none on the defensive 2nd team either.

Shell cracks in on the 3rd team Offense
Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 AM   #17
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
Well the actuals were released today... This one is the predictions from last week.
The first team SEC has only one USC guy on offense and that is Davis at RB and none on the defense team.

Then you have Cann and Robinson on the 2nd team and still none on the defensive 2nd team either.

Shell cracks in on the 3rd team Offense
thanks....I'm a little surprised Skai Moore isn't on the 2nd or 3rd team.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:06 AM   #18
Aggie96
Resident Aggie

Male

Aggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudlyAggie96 is crowing loudly

Quote:
thanks....I'm a little surprised Skai Moore isn't on the 2nd or 3rd team.
I saw the full list on Bleacher Report this morning if you are interested, but that locks up pretty hard on my laptop at work.

Coaches vote, but can't vote for their own.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #19
SuperCockMaster
Banned

Male

SuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPitSuperCockMaster rules the CockPit

I tried buying in, but all I had was five bees to a quarter.
SuperCockMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #20
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
if you read what I said....
Pot calling kettle black....