CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
USC_21
b381l
JDJones
WeStillOwnUSC
kingofnerf
Cockypantherfan
gamecockgal
kick_ball
SanAntonioCock
10 years since " (2079)
Sidney Rice is havin (1578)
Why the hesitance to (1096)
Should UNC get death (480)
2014 Charleston Clas (457)
BJ Mckie (449)
Getting Back on Trac (344)
Hospitality Area? (318)
Cocky cloth towels (277)
Challenge to or revi (246)
2014 Charleston Classic *
2014 Charleston Classic *
2015 Defensive Line
Micheal Shumacher Fightin
2015 Commitment - Dexter
Dragon Age Origins free!
Should UNC get death pena
Family, Faith, and Gameco
How many??
Lineup Changes (Offense)

Old 11-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
DouglasUSC
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
DouglasUSC has feathers coming inDouglasUSC has feathers coming inDouglasUSC has feathers coming in
Default The play that determined the game

In my mind anyway: UT's TD on 4th down from the 20-something yard line. At that point, our D had somehow actually gotten stops on 4 straight possessions. Then we had them in a 4th and long. Dobbs scrambled, threw a pass and Brison had an opportunity to bring the receiver down well short of the first down. However, instead of tackling him he simply threw a shoulder at his ankles. The receiver broke through that and scampered in for the first of 3 TD's in a row by them.

Game on the line. 4th down. Desperate for a win. And you don't even use your arms to try to tackle the guy?
DouglasUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Jim Lahey
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material
Default Re: The play that determined the game

Brison and his gimp arm need to be on the bench. It looked like he tried to tackle Jalen Hurd with his back... Who tf tries to tackle like that. If you're that hurt, don't play
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasUSC View Post
In my mind anyway: UT's TD on 4th down from the 20-something yard line. At that point, our D had somehow actually gotten stops on 4 straight possessions. Then we had them in a 4th and long. Dobbs scrambled, threw a pass and Brison had an opportunity to bring the receiver down well short of the first down. However, instead of tackling him he simply threw a shoulder at his ankles. The receiver broke through that and scampered in for the first of 3 TD's in a row by them.

Game on the line. 4th down. Desperate for a win. And you don't even use your arms to try to tackle the guy?
Hell...I thought you were going to say "the opening kick off"...it would have been as appropriate...
Old 11-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
bcgibson75
Starter

Male

bcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPitbcgibson75 rules the CockPit

Listen, this defense has not and is not going to stop anyone when the game is on the line...truth...agreed?

So, it's on Spurrier to call some smarter offensive plays and keep the defensive unit on the sidelines.

I've got 2 plays (y'all can choose which is more insanely dumb) that sum up what I believe cost us the game:

1. After Brison's INT at our own 3...were up 35-21 at this point with lil over 10 minutes to play. We run Mike Davis twice on 1st and 2nd down for 7 yards to the 11. On a 3rd and 3, the ball winds up in Dylan's hands for a 1 yard gain...punt time. Yep, DT...NOT Mike Davis, NOT Brandon Wilds, NOT Pharoh Cooper in the Wildcat. WTH was Spurrier thinking??

2. Up 42-35 with 1:38 to play, we had just recovered the onside kick. Wisely, we run Mike Davis twice on 1st and 2nd down for 6 yards. Tenn calls 2nd timeout. So, on 3rd and 4, Spurrier decides to pass...DT sacked for 8 yard loss. So with 4 yards to go...we don't try and run for it on 3rd or even 4th down?? Yep, DT gets the ball with the game on the line...NOT Mike Davis, NOT Brandon Wilds, NOT Pharoh Cooper in the Wildcat. Again, I can't explain how SOS makes this just dumb decision.

The same coach that went for it 8 times on 4th down last week at Auburn...5 of those were rushing attempts on 4th down...doesn't think our running game can get 4 yards on 2 plays...with the game on line...with a defense that couldn't stop almost every team we've played ALL season?/?

I'll cheer for our players the rest of this season...they're out there on the field giving it their all (I truly believe this even if their not as talented as we had hoped for)...

...but I'm done with Spurrier for his consistent late game situation playcalling blunders, I'm done with the defensive coaches for not teaching/improving our tackling fundamentals, and not knowing how to scheme against the zone read or get guys to execute the scheme.

GO COCKS!!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Not playing David Williams in the 4th quarter. He has to be well rested.
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
cockpit commander
Walk On

Male

cockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervouscockpit commander is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Brison and his gimp arm need to be on the bench. It looked like he tried to tackle Jalen Hurd with his back... Who tf tries to tackle like that. If you're that hurt, don't play
This play stood out to me also . I couldn't believe
With the game on the line he would put his
Head down and look like a 3 yr old playing
Super man.inexcusable and the truth not a good
Ball player .The good news for him is that they're
10 others out there that can't play.
cockpit commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
Listen, this defense has not and is not going to stop anyone when the game is on the line...truth...agreed?

So, it's on Spurrier to call some smarter offensive plays and keep the defensive unit on the sidelines.

I've got 2 plays (y'all can choose which is more insanely dumb) that sum up what I believe cost us the game:

1. After Brison's INT at our own 3...were up 35-21 at this point with lil over 10 minutes to play. We run Mike Davis twice on 1st and 2nd down for 7 yards to the 11. On a 3rd and 3, the ball winds up in Dylan's hands for a 1 yard gain...punt time. Yep, DT...NOT Mike Davis, NOT Brandon Wilds, NOT Pharoh Cooper in the Wildcat. WTH was Spurrier thinking??

2. Up 42-35 with 1:38 to play, we had just recovered the onside kick. Wisely, we run Mike Davis twice on 1st and 2nd down for 6 yards. Tenn calls 2nd timeout. So, on 3rd and 4, Spurrier decides to pass...DT sacked for 8 yard loss. So with 4 yards to go...we don't try and run for it on 3rd or even 4th down?? Yep, DT gets the ball with the game on the line...NOT Mike Davis, NOT Brandon Wilds, NOT Pharoh Cooper in the Wildcat. Again, I can't explain how SOS makes this just dumb decision.

The same coach that went for it 8 times on 4th down last week at Auburn...5 of those were rushing attempts on 4th down...doesn't think our running game can get 4 yards on 2 plays...with the game on line...with a defense that couldn't stop almost every team we've played ALL season?/?

I'll cheer for our players the rest of this season...they're out there on the field giving it their all (I truly believe this even if their not as talented as we had hoped for)...

...but I'm done with Spurrier for his consistent late game situation playcalling blunders, I'm done with the defensive coaches for not teaching/improving our tackling fundamentals, and not knowing how to scheme against the zone read or get guys to execute the scheme.

GO COCKS!!
this is why i dont understand some people on here wanting to give the offense a pass. Look at the Auburn game we got the ball back with an onside kick recovery and did nothing with it. The offense got an extra possession and squandered it. The offense almost lost the UGA game but the D got a stop after Dylan threw a pick.

Offense and Defense have lost these games.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
deerless
Recruit

Male

deerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spursdeerless has earned his spurs

Absolutely!! Well said.
deerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has feathers coming inzcoop has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
this is why i dont understand some people on here wanting to give the offense a pass. Look at the Auburn game we got the ball back with an onside kick recovery and did nothing with it. The offense got an extra possession and squandered it. The offense almost lost the UGA game but the D got a stop after Dylan threw a pick.

Offense and Defense have lost these games.
Good post, what you stated has been my thought process as well on this board. There is enough blame to go around but some want to give the offense and it's coaches passes.

I refuse to do so because we have abandoned the run that's working for us and go to the pass for no reason in key situations.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:

GO COCKS!!
Edit this is for number 2.

What sucks even worse even if usc didnt get a first down at the end with a run that is a. A 44 yard fg for fry to make, and if fry missed and ut won i would be hats off to them. Someone needs to put a billboard on spurriers wall with the playmakers on offense. Their names are cooper, davis, and wilds. The ol and thompson has proven they can do a heck of a game, but when the pressure is on they fold.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

That play stuck in my mind also.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

the 3rd and 3 conversion would have been huge. i want to watch the replay again to see if its definite but it definitely looked like the tennessee special teams player was going to back right into that ball had marquis roberts not picked it up.

back to the premise of the thread, brison has to do more on that play if hes protecting the arm then he needs to go in with the other arm and give it everything he has to get him on the ground because that should have been an easy tackle.

our best players have to touch the ball in winning time and our players have got to be smarter. we do either of those and we likely win, we did neither and lost.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
cocked&ready2rock
Recruit

Male

cocked&ready2rock has hatched from the shell

Brison would rather just run his mouth. Can't stand to watch his a$$ play. He is either running his mouth or getting beat
cocked&ready2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
NinjaSven
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 515
NinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudlyNinjaSven is crowing loudly

Quote:

GO COCKS!!
This. SOS knows that our defense can't stop anything so we need to be more aggressive on offense. The playcalling, at times, is abysmal. We need to go for it more often on 4th down. The playcalling is costing us.

I agree with several of the other posters concerning the offense. I am one who believes that the offense needs to share blame with the defense for our losses. We have blown several 4th quarter leads because we sputter and can't put up points.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
TAFC 5 1981
Two Deep

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

I actually thought UT blew the game with just over 5 minutes in the 3rd when instead of going for it on 4th and 1, they missed that FG. SC then scored 14 more unanswered points.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #16
kingofnerf
4-Star

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

The play that determined the game was our last touchdown.

After that, Butch Jones had a volcanic meltdown on what appeared to be his DC on the sidelines.

We never scored again.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #17
MrED
Recruit

Male

MrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spursMrED has earned his spurs

Quote:

Just to illustrate how clueless we are on defense...

If you recall before the 4th down play we actually stopped them on 3rd down. Our guys start running around and celebrating behind the line of scrimmage. Now I've leaped about 10 feet in the air screaming at the TV "They are going for it you IDIOTS, they are going for it!!!" Tennessee immediately starts lining up for 4th down and we are doing chest bumps 10 yards deep on their side of the ball. We manage to get back in place just in time but at that point we've got no defensive play call in and no time to audible in anything.

I just don't understand how they could be so clueless at that moment. I really think they actually thought that was it. Like we had stopped them, now bring on the special teams. Of course Tennessee was going for it but we had absolutely no awareness of the situation. There is zero on the field leadership here.
MrED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #18
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

I knew we would lose when we punted the ball to TN the last time we had it in regulation. We recovered an onside kick, had good field position. Should've gone for it there since there was no way our D was going to stop TN.