CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
A. Pilgrim
Regalcock
NineInchSpurs
thekob
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
jrussjr
CCC
18IsTheMan
Davis dinged up agai (2453)
ECU fan here (1791)
Freaky Coincidence o (1542)
New Photos by Travis (1322)
Defensive stand-arou (1187)
For the love of God! (1086)
Quarles is a Colt! (941)
Hatin' Ass Spurrier (652)
Wake Forest recruiti (576)
Winston (571)
Well, as it turns out, we
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
Brad Guzan
New Photos by Travis Bell
Winston
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014
SOS: No QB controversy
Making the Trip to Kentuc
Davis dinged up again?

Old 08-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #21
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material
Default Re: SHOULD GAMECOCK PLAYERS BE OFFENDED BY AGGIE FAN ARROGANCE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie96 View Post
I think they should not be offended by the way. I think it says a lot about where those high school kids go play in college more than it does in high school. Texas is known nationwide for its high school football. We have high school stadiums that hold more than some Colleges. Some up towards 21k+ fans. Entire towns shut down on Friday nights to go watch their boys play. Texas high school kids are recruited all over the nation. While SC might put out a higher percentage of NFL player, where do the majority of those kids go play their college ball? In the SEC, or at Clemson I would imagine. We all know the SEC puts out a ton of great talent and those kids get developed very well in our conference. I know you guys don't like to hear it, but Clemson does a pretty good job of developing their kids too over the last few years as well. Texas kids however go play everywhere we have kids that go play from Portland Oregon to Portland Maine and everywhere in between.
2 of the top 10 ranked high schools this year are from Texas, 3 of the top 25 are from Texas and 4 of the top 50 are from guess where... Texas
SC doesn't have a school in the top 50 by the way.

Last year - Texas high schools finished with 2 in the top 10 (one was undefeated 2 years in a row and finished 2nd) and 4 in the top 50. SC did have 2 in the top 25 but none in the top 10

Maybe you should look at your stats from a College view instead of high school. You are skipping an entire layer and that means your stats are skewed. NFL players are not made in high school, they are made in college.
It is really unfair to try and compare the two schools by rankings (or really anything). I think the SCHSL (the organization that controls HS sports in SC for public schools and a couple of private schools) has around 200 schools (a few years ago it was about 48 schools per the state's 4 classifications, I am not sure how the number of schools has changed in recent years). By my count the 6A class alone in Texas has 220-230 schools. The shear numbers alone are going to give Texas a big advantage when it comes to the completely useless polls as having more schools (and bigger schools) are going to give the Texas schools more opportunity to play other good schools without having to leave the state, more opportunity to play similar schools (in size and quality of team) and just more scheduling opportunities in general (some of the really good small programs in SC have trouble getting larger school with quality programs to play them).

Then take into consideration the amount of resources that individuals, companies, and school districts in Texas have to direct into HS athletic programs in comparison to what is available in SC and it is a joke to even attempt to compare.

In some imaginary world where the schools in the two states were on equal footing, SC would more than hold its own against TX or any other state in my opinion.
Gamecock303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
dixiecock
Walk On

CockyCash: 500
dixiecock is learning to peck

I have the unique experience of being a native Carolinian, but having played my school football in Texas before leaving Texas to play in college.

1. Yes Texas high school football is big, they are brought up loving it, towns and communities do hype, support, and follow football more than most in Carolina. The further you get from Coastal texas the bigger the community support.

2. Yes they have some big stadiums, but so what, that does make thier teams any better. Look at many of the best teams in Florida, they share a common community off campus stadium, and they have some damn good teams down there. I love my high school days in texas, I was belssed to have played at the age in a state everyday during the season was big at school. Lockers deorated, house decorated before every game by cheerleaders, 1/2 day on friday to get ready, 2 hour pep rally friday morning in the gym, 2 weeks in summer living on campus with 2 a days, film, eating, sleeping on cots and getting ready for the seaon as a team. Saturday morning sports ection filled wiht photos just for high school football, tv and radio interviews, and this was 30 + years ago. All that being said, the aggies have 85 players form wherever, Carolina has 85 players from wherever. When the aggies come here they 85 players, coaches and whatever they bring for fans. This is our home, we will be ready.

3. Re Carolina high school rankings... Maybe not ranked week 1 this year, but have you kep up with rankings over the past 20 years. Do names like Byrnes, Northwestern, Goose Creek ring a bell? They have all been ranked and some almost every year. Texas should have more teams, they have 6 times as many kids.

4. Yes texas kids play everywhere, but with so many kids and schols they can't all go to Texas, teaxas a&m, and I guess TCU and baylor have finally started winning. Baylor sucked since grant was there, they offered and I never even considered. Rice, SMU, Houston, El Paso, texas St, UTA really?

5. No Carolina kids don't just stay in Carolina, many of our best have gone to FSU, Tech's QB was joe hamilton when they were highly rnaked, florida, georgia (some nfl receiver named AJ Green), UT(pretty sure 3 of their 4 d lineman were from Carolina when they won the NC), alabam, auburn, the list goe son. We may have fewer players in college but we have fewer players to beign with, we are a smaller school.

5. Bring your braggadocious texas attitude, we are accustomed to trash talking georgia, north carolina, tennessee, and florida fans, so bring it. You're not bringing your band (tell hyman thanks) so I'll be listening to hear how often you get your BHOC cheer going, your last trip to this state did not go well when you lost to clemson on that last second fg.
dixiecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #23
Bed Sores
Walk On

Male

Bed Sores has feathers coming inBed Sores has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
since when do players care what fans think?
This
Bed Sores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #24
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Who cares. Just play the stinking game on Thursday and see who wins. As far as arrogance goes, TAMU fans rank about a million spots behind clemson, Georgia and Tennessee fans. Those 3 groups are as arrogant as can be.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #25
El Cid Ranger
Black Magic Squad

Male

CockyCash: 850200
El Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot materialEl Cid Ranger is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
Who cares. Just play the stinking game on Thursday and see who wins. As far as arrogance goes, TAMU fans rank about a million spots behind clemson, Georgia and Tennessee fans. Those 3 groups are as arrogant as can be.
This damn game just needs to happen and get these A&M fans to move on and troll some other boards!!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #26
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid Ranger View Post
This damn game just needs to happen and get these A&M fans to move on and troll some other boards!!

They will be back every year now.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #27
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFC 5 1981 View Post
Kind of like the 7 year locusts and Clemson fans.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #28
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Kind of like the 7 year locusts and Clemson fans.

Sorry, you get a double dose of my fans; Clemson and Florida (I manage to stay a Clemson fan by limiting my visits to TN).
Old 08-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #29
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sorry, you get a double dose of my fans; Clemson and Florida (I manage to stay a Clemson fan by limiting my visits to TN).
Well there is that..
Old 08-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #30
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Maybe we won'r play them first. That tends to prolong it. I remember the NCSU fans years ago talking smack for weeks on the scout board. One guy kept saying, "I'm going to remember you when I come back after the game."

He never came back after the game.