CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Master Bedroom
ReadR00ster
RGHoskins
smoovecock
MountainCock
Kaka
COCKYTALKIN
QCB
Captain9Dragons
The Gator Bowl wants (1625)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1402)
USC will upset Aubur (1234)
A simple defensive l (1045)
In-state QB talent (968)
In-state QB talent (968)
Which loss hurt wors (652)
Texas athletic direc (600)
Ranking the SEC Foot (417)
This is War (400)
Tennessee game
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Titanfall
Texas athletic director:
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
In-state QB talent
The Gator Bowl wants us!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material
Default listening to local radio show "the game"

and they are pounding thompson and think shaw is the better option. they backed it up with stats..the guy said thompson was was 5-10 with 2 picks. I saw a qb that had problems on one series, his first, and after that he settled in and really made some nice throws. throws that i highly doubt connor could make with the shoulder situation as it seems.

The "captain" Carey Rich said Dylan is just too nice and wants to avoid dissention in the locker room. He said he wishes he could be more like Chad Kelly. I am wondering if they believe this or just want chatter. I mean its evident that Dylan is the best option right now. To me, Connors shoulder is what it is. to still think he is the best guy is sorta like burying your head in the sand.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material
Default Re: listening to local radio show "the game"

2 picks?

I mean, granted, they probably should have been picks, but they shouldn't just make up stats like that.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

I agree (with you). I think Dylan is our best option at this point. Connor gives you more options WHEN HE'S HEALTHY. However, he's not healthy, and all you have to worry about is the ground game with him.

They can bring up numbers all they want, but Shaw SHOULD HAVE HAD 2 more picks than he ended up with. He had 2 balls hit the DBs in BOTH hands that they just dropped. The stat sheet could be a LOT uglier than it is today for Shaw if we were playing anyone better.

Dylan should be our starter until Connor is 100%. Until that day comes. There should even be a question as to who should be out there. Once Connor is 100% THEN you can revisit the depth chart and see who should be the #1 guy.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

CockyCash: 500
SpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
and they are pounding thompson and think shaw is the better option. they backed it up with stats..the guy said thompson was was 5-10 with 2 picks. I saw a qb that had problems on one series, his first, and after that he settled in and really made some nice throws. throws that i highly doubt connor could make with the shoulder situation as it seems.

The "captain" Carey Rich said Dylan is just too nice and wants to avoid dissention in the locker room. He said he wishes he could be more like Chad Kelly. I am wondering if they believe this or just want chatter. I mean its evident that Dylan is the best option right now. Connors shoulder is what it is and to still think heis the best guy is sorta like burying your head in the sand.
Any credibility that the "captain" previously held was shredded with this comment alone.
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
2 picks?

I mean, granted, they probably should have been picks, but they shouldn't just make up stats like that.
i cant remember the 2nd one but the one where it hit the UAB guy in the hands shouldve been a pick, and i think it wouldve against SEC play

either way...its pretty clear that Shaw is not going to be ready to play, at least i dont see how he could be, time for DT to show us what he has against some real competition
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
i cant remember the 2nd one but the one where it hit the UAB guy in the hands shouldve been a pick, and i think it wouldve against SEC play

either way...its pretty clear that Shaw is not going to be ready to play, at least i dont see how he could be, time for DT to show us what he has against some real competition
Yeah, I know, but regardless of what it should have been, it should not be reported as happening. That's just football.. it happens all the time, even in SEC play. I mean.. if a receiver has a drop because of his inability to bring it in, but the pass was perfect, it shouldn't be counted as a completed pass for the QB. It's just an unprofessional thing to say IMO.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

More idiots who think they know what the hell is going on.
First, comparing him to Chode Kelly, who last I checked hadn't played a down, is idiotic, and shows he is just a tater.

Second, no question, Dylan is the best option right now...Connor Shaw can only hurt the team by playing right now. He needs to just focus on getting healthy.

What I don't see is why people think Dylan is a scrub? The two are pretty close.
Connor is faster, but I think Dylan may have just a tad more arm strength.
But both have shown they can throw the deepball, and both can run the zone-read, so really, I don't see this offense having to change much under Dylan.

Still hand it to Marcus (and Mike Davis) and you a multitude of guys to throw to (Sanders, Ellington, Byrd, Anderson, Adams, Cunningham, Miles).
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

That isn't 107.5 The Game....would that be 103.1 here in the Upstate...the home of tater Will Merritt?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

One guy is hurt. The other guy came in and played pretty well. That's what we should be expecting around here. Good quarterback play.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
5150harley
Sandlapper Pools

Male

5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material

I'm just wondering if Spurrier for once is having trouble making that decision to start Dylan. Shaw has done everything that Spurrier has asked and more.

I think because of that Spurrier is having a difficult time pulling the trigger on this one.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

I'm not sure that Connor is the best option even when healthy. If Dylan can continue to complete b/w 50-60 percent of his passes and we get a more 'traditional' run game along with the zone read then this offense can be pretty amazing. There is a big 'if' there, but Dylan has completed 11 more passes than Connor and has 333 more yards. Connor didn't look quite right even before the injury. However, if Dylan looks like he does on his first few drives then who knows. I love football season.

All I know is that over the past 2 years we are now 14-2...not too bad for a team who can't find a qb to last all year, no premiere receiver this year, and a heisman candidate missing part of the year and coming off a surgery.

If Dylan is held back it's because of a ceiling on his ability and not a lack of leadership qualities.

Edit: FWIW -- QB ratings: Dylan 170, Shaw 115, Strickland 275 -- and Boyd 166
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
Yeah, I know, but regardless of what it should have been, it should not be reported as happening. That's just football.. it happens all the time, even in SEC play. I mean.. if a receiver has a drop because of his inability to bring it in, but the pass was perfect, it shouldn't be counted as a completed pass for the QB. It's just an unprofessional thing to say IMO.
true, i would like to hear how they said it...like if they said, well he shouldve had 2 picks...no prb with that.....but if they said, he threw 2 picks...i agree with you
Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Danny Cheated
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1058
Danny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot materialDanny Cheated is USC mascot material

anyone with above average intelligence knows Thompson has done his thing against 2 bottom half Conference USA defenses. Shaw is SEC tested. He's our guy.
Danny Cheated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
true, i would like to hear how they said it...like if they said, well he shouldve had 2 picks...no prb with that.....but if they said, he threw 2 picks...i agree with you
Yeah, I agree as well..
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
That isn't 107.5 The Game....would that be 103.1 here in the Upstate...the home of tater Will Merritt?
560 The Team out of Columbia.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Cheated View Post
anyone with above average intelligence knows Thompson has done his thing against 2 bottom half Conference USA defenses. Shaw is SEC tested. He's our guy.
guess i'm below average then ... Connor is hurt and didn't do jack crap against that same bottom half Con USA defense that Dylan lit up.

Again, once Connor is healthy ... then you can revisit the chatter, but until Connor is 100% healthy. He's not going to be able to throw the ball, and limits our Offense.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
So the argument is because he played more SEC games he should be the starter? Personally, I'm not too happy with either option right now but I would hold off on making any judgements.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
guess i'm below average then ... Connor is hurt and didn't do jack crap against that same bottom half Con USA defense that Dylan lit up.

Again, once Connor is healthy ... then you can revisit the chatter, but until Connor is 100% healthy. He's not going to be able to throw the ball, and limits our Offense.
word.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly

Quote:
No, anyone with above average intelligence would know that's the same damn argument that led us to that Auburn loss last year that cost us a possible shot at the SEC title game last year.

The only difference as that at the time Connor hadn't looked nearly as good as Dylan has looked thus far.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
gamecock82
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudlygamecock82 is crowing loudly

Really people??? Look it is what it is. Connor is hurt and we have to play DT. Only thing we can do now is just wait and see how he does against a SEC foe.
gamecock82 is offline   Reply With Quote