CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
Master Bedroom
GregoryHouse
The Yancey
rioninusc
qcgamecock
Travelin
B-G
Connor to be backup? (1880)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (863)
Carolina ranked #21 (646)
Gotta get Agent 0 go (583)
Miami Beach Bowl Thr (506)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (383)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (353)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (311)
Most Impactful Peopl (290)
How would a man writ (254)
Connor to be backup?
aTm demolishes Kyle Field
The Vent and Coaching cha
Strength Of The SEC &
Greatest Gamecock Players
Miami Beach Bowl Thread
Most Impactful People Inv
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Greatest Gamecock Players
2016 - Brandon McIlwain

Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

CockyCash: 500
RY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPit
Default New rivalry proposal; "Clash of the Crescent"

(Please read entire post before commenting)

Hey guys, some of you may remember a thread on this a year or so ago but I wanted to start a new one. But in quick summation here is the proposal:

The commission of two bronze palmetto tree statues, one located at Williams-Brice Stadium, and the other at Death Valley. Maybe ten to twelve feet high each, and identically cast. Each tree should have a spot on top where a scale crescent seen on the state flag, also bronze, could be affixed, and every year, Carolina and Clemson should play for that crescent.

Now I remember a few were not in favor of the idea and said it seems like a forced tradition, gimmicky, or the rivalry is fine the way it is but I see it as none of those and we shall have to agree to disagree and you don't need to support this nor sign the petition.

When I first read the article, which everyone should check out, (read HERE) proposing the idea, I thought it was incredible.

Think how it could help with recruiting since younger guys, I believe, would find mass appeal for it. The media would be all about it as well. I don't think some of you realize how unappreciated our rivalry is among the other widely publicized rivalry games. And some of you may say "I don't care, we don't need all the hype. The fans know how much the game means." But again, recruiting. I'd say at least at least 75% of USC commits didn't grow up Gamecock fans. Also, we can have something to be proud of instead of the crumby unrenowned Hardee's Trophy.

There have already been spikes of interest on this since the campaign for this was started in June of 2011. When Hyman was around he said the idea got around to him a few times and they were looking into it. My friend Tre (the guy who created the idea) was contacted by heads of both school's student governments, and I was even in contact with a sculptor from Charleston about creating the statues but I realize SHOULD this ever come into fruition, the schools will likely choose a sculptor. But for a while interest has died down, so I am trying to get the "viral" side of things going again during the major summer sports lull. Personally, I think this would look great in those windows underneath the outside part of the beast board, since OBVIOUSLY it would be a major target to be vandalized/stolen we can't have it in the outside plaza even though it'd be badass. But maybe the school could work something out.

Lastly, pleaseeee do not throw this thread off with the topic/argument on what the crescent actually is. Whether it's a moon, gorget, sign of the second son, or whatever else! The fact is, growing up I always thought it was the moon and I feel 95% of anyone who sees the flag assumes the same. But to be correct in the naming, there is no denying that it is actually a crescent. I thought "Battle for the Carolina Moon" sounded pretty cool but we'll see where that goes. Anyways, thanks for reading and please post about what you think of this and inbox me if you can help in any way possible!

SIGN THE PETITION HERE:

Also pleaseeeee share on Facebook/Twitter/Email
It honestly helps immensely, seriously!

http://www.change.org/petitions/new-...f-the-crescent

AND "LIKE" THE FACEBOOK PAGE HERE FOR UPDATES & SUPPORT:

https://www.facebook.com/TheClashForTheCrescent

After liking the page make sure you hover over the button that shows you "liked" the page and click "Show in News Feed" to get ALL posts.
Facebook is too greedy these days!

Last edited by RY4N; 06-23-2013 at 02:19 PM.
RY4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

RY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPit
Default Re: New rivalry proposal; "Clash of the Crescent"

And if you've already signed the petition, sign it again! Just make up a BS email or something!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Was just wondering the other day what the progress of this was ...
Thanks for bringing it up again. I would absolutely love it if both schools
decided to do this. I did sign the petition the last time it was posted in
the other thread, and plan to sign it again.

Also, I'm going to sticky this thread at the top this time for a while
hoping it stays prominent here for a while.

ALSO
RY4N...have you presented this idea with any local radio / tv stations
around Columbia / Clemson ? I would think they would find this interesting
as well. I am seriously thinking about calling the shows on 107.5 and
asking to see if they've heard about this and what they think of the idea.
Maybe some local publicity would help move this along
Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post

ALSO
You are the man! I have not personally contacted anyone from 107.5 or anything else but funny enough I was driving home one day during the first huge pop in support for this idea and someone called in about this while Heath Cline was doing his show. The caller failed to really get the gist of the idea across like I'd prefer, but still cool to have caught that nonetheless. I am about to go to the 107.5 website and shoot whoever I can an email. Thanks again for making this a sticky. I will keep the updates coming. I really would like to hear what progress has been made from the student government's side of things.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post

ALSO
Spurticus, I tweeted out a link to this thread to Michael Haney, Heath Cline, and Jay Phillips. I will post of any responses and also what's your first name? I might have to keep an ear out for ya if they choose to talk on this for a while. Not a helluva lot else going on sports wise. Hopefully they will go on for a long time about it, especially Heath Cline (unless he's bashing it, lol. That man is a straight shooter, but thats why I like listening!). But I think they'd get a lot of callers in. They should definitely mention the Hardee's Trophy angle.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
Spurticus, I tweeted out a link to this thread to Michael Haney, Heath Cline, and Jay Phillips. I will post of any responses and also what's your first name? I might have to keep an ear out for ya if they choose to talk on this for a while. Not a helluva lot else going on sports wise. Hopefully they will go on for a long time about it, especially Heath Cline (unless he's bashing it, lol. That man is a straight shooter, but thats why I like listening!). But I think they'd get a lot of callers in. They should definitely mention the Hardee's Trophy angle.
My name is Rick.... Live in Gaston.

I have called in a few times to both the morning show with Bob, Tommy and
Benji (sp) as well as the afternoon show with Heath and Michael.
I will try to call in as soon as possible to both shows and ask / present
this idea again.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

I was all for this earlier and i will sign it again. Want that burger trophy gone!!!
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

You should have a link to facebook, etc on the petition page!
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
You should have a link to facebook, etc on the petition page!
What do you mean exactly? Like start a facebook page for this?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Any idea on an estimated cost of this project for each school?

For those who say its a forced tradition, we currently exchange a Hardees trophy that looks like it plays second fiddle to the local bowling league championship.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Signed it!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Newly created Facebook page!

If anyone can help me make a cool profile picture (must be square) and cover photo for this page I would be very appreciative! Remember it cannot show favoritism to either school since we need both fan bases behind this!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
Newly created Facebook page!

If anyone can help me make a cool profile picture (must be square) and cover photo for this page I would be very appreciative! Remember it cannot show favoritism to either school since we need both fan bases behind this!
Liked it already. Sorry I'll be no help on the design.

I shared it also!!!!

Last edited by Rooster'srule; 06-23-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: adding information
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Liked it already. Sorry I'll be no help on the design.

It did not show up on my facebook page?
What didn't exactly? The first page post that was made? I know Facebook has gotten money hungry and makes people who run pages pay money for all posts to show up on others newsfeed. To get every post hover over where you "liked" the page and click "Show in news feed"

Edit: I see that you shared it! Thanks and points!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I like the page and invited like 30 of my Gamecock and Clemson Facebook family and friends. Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Any idea on an estimated cost of this project for each school?

For those who say its a forced tradition, we currently exchange a Hardees trophy that looks like it plays second fiddle to the local bowling league championship.
I feel like getting two statues made and making suitable arrangements to have it erected (don't laugh) in a safe place would be a drop in the bucket compared to how much something like the video board cost. I can't really give an accurate estimate but I see no reason it should exceed $1 million for each school.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I think if it will happen, this is the window. Both SC schools in the top 10 preseason is a pretty big deal. Clemson won't be up there much longer. :)
Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Does anyone else realize that Clemson really has no representation as far as the state goes. They dont have the flag on their helmet or anything. It actually greatly upsets me. Whether we like the school or not, it should represent the state.
robgusc76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

I am all for replacing the Hardee's trophy with something else. This sounds like a good idea, hopefully it would get some traction.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

For those who may be seeing this proposal for the first time, this has been around since 2011. And the previous two times it caught traction was in the month of June when there isn't much to talk about in the way of sports. Then August comes soon enough and the majority of the momentum is lost.

I am putting in a lot more effort this go round. And the support from my fellow CockyTalkers could just help me get this thing snowballing! But a big thing aside from signing the petition is liking the facebook page and sharing posts that you see fit! That helps a ton. Also, not to repeat myself but I need some people who could whip up a suitable profile pic and cover photo.

But hey, the Facebook site has been live for about an hour and it has 11...no wait, 13 likes and 2 shares on the post!