CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NineInchSpurs
WeStill0wnUSC
Badazcock
Pty23
rabid cock
markymark550
Goofyboy
2000grad
ReadR00ster
Rebel4ever
Well, as it turns ou (2366)
Luginbill says ECU s (2339)
What the heck is up (1767)
Next years RB situat (1655)
ECU fan here (1352)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (1237)
Been a pleasure talk (1203)
Davis dinged up agai (1056)
Freaky Coincidence o (1048)
Defensive stand-arou (879)
For the love of God! -- P
So, Vanderbilt is next
New Photos by Travis Bell
Robin William's fakes dea
Davis dinged up again?
Well, as it turns out, we
No Gurley near the goal l
What the heck is up with
Defensive stand-around pl
Name a Gamecock

Old 09-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons
Default Tired of Sandstorm?

Anybody else think we've sort of run Sandstorm into the ground at this point?

I understand that we were one of the first to really use it to the point of nausea, but I just think it's sort of a weak "tradition" that makes us look silly.

Sandstorm is a pretty cliche stadium song. If they still made those Jock Jam cd's, Sandstorm would be on it. This is why it's just kind of ridiculous to have signs and shirts saying "SANDSTORM!". We may as well advertise the use of "We Will Rock You."

Furthermore, it has been overplayed to the point of losing its effectiveness. Back in the day, Sandstorm was a treat that the crowd looked forward to. Now it's just that song that we have to hear at every godforsaken opportunity.

I miss the days when WB played a fun mix of current music as well as classics like Sweet Caroline and You Shook Me All Night Long. Now we just have Sandstorm to look forward to, a repetitive song to begin with, over and over.

Sandstorm is a great post-TD song. I'm fine with that. But Sandstorm post-TD and Thunderstruck pre-kickoff would at least break things up a bit.

Thoughts?
Hoodrow Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
Gamecockgolfer9
Walk On

Male

Gamecockgolfer9 is learning to peckGamecockgolfer9 is learning to peck
Default Re: Tired of Sandstorm?

No.

We don't hear it at "every god forsaken opportunity"

We hear it before kick offs which, other than the opening kickoff, only happens after a score.

Scoring is good. If they played it in timeouts, etc then I would agree. But they don't.

It is played after scores and at either the opening or half-time kick off.
Gamecockgolfer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #3
StormOfTalons
Blue Chip

Male

StormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPitStormOfTalons rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodrow Wilson View Post

I understand that we were one of the first to really use it to the point of nausea, but I just think it's sort of a weak "tradition" that makes us look silly.

Sandstorm is a pretty cliche stadium song. If they still made those Jock Jam cd's, Sandstorm would be on it. This is why it's just kind of ridiculous to have signs and shirts saying "SANDSTORM!". We may as well advertise the use of "We Will Rock You."

Furthermore, it has been overplayed to the point of losing its effectiveness. Back in the day, Sandstorm was a treat that the crowd looked forward to. Now it's just that song that we have to hear at every godforsaken opportunity.

I miss the days when WB played a fun mix of current music as well as classics like Sweet Caroline and You Shook Me All Night Long. Now we just have Sandstorm to look forward to, a repetitive song to begin with, over and over.

Sandstorm is a great post-TD song. I'm fine with that. But Sandstorm post-TD and Thunderstruck pre-kickoff would at least break things up a bit.

Thoughts?
Might want to get your facts straight before deciding to approach this subject again.

As the other poster mentioned, Sandstorm is not played nearly as much as you seem to think.

And, there is other music played as well -- some of it rock and some of it rap.

I get the feeling you either posted this same topic on GCC or have been over there and seen it as a thread based on the same complaint was started over there not too long ago.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Short answer, "No."

Plus, it drives our opponents and their fans completely nuts.

What I have never understood is why anyone thinks that Sweet Caroline is a song suitable for a football stadium. That song is barely man enough for baseball. Reminds me of when they, the powers that be...at the time, tried cramming Carolina Girls down our throats during the pre-4th quarter time out. At least that was about our palmetto fillies...
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
Evilchicken3
Recruit

Male

Evilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodrow Wilson View Post

Thoughts?
I was mildly interested in this thread until you suggested Sweet Caroline. I'm cringing for you.
Evilchicken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
18IsTheMan
4-Star

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

I think it could be played a little more selectively, based on the feel of the game. For instance, against ECU when we had to settle for a FG after getting the interception. That didn't feel like a Sandstorm moment.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

I know Sweet Caroline gets people doing the Bum, Bum, Bum part but isn't that more cliche than sandstorm?
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
BeaufortCOCK
Walk On

Male

BeaufortCOCK is learning to peck

Homework assignment for OP. You don't have to make it all 10 hours, 6 or 7 will cure you.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

It energizes the student section. We need that. I have also heard opposing coaches refer to it. That is a good thing. We just completed an 18 game home win streak and the Williams Brice environment is a huge part of that.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
Ahmad
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 256
Ahmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudlyAhmad is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
I think it could be played a little more selectively, based on the feel of the game. For instance, against ECU when we had to settle for a FG after getting the interception. That didn't feel like a Sandstorm moment.
I totally agree with you.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Yes
Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
BeaufortCOCK
Walk On

Male

BeaufortCOCK is learning to peck

I agree with the selective playing. Whoever's in charge should use it when he needs to get the crowd going and pick the place up or push it over the edge. The less you play it, the more impact you get when its played.

Do they still play 2001 in the 3rd quarter break?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufortCOCK View Post
I agree with the selective playing. Whoever's in charge should use it when he needs to get the crowd going and pick the place up or push it over the edge. The less you play it, the more impact you get when its played.

Do they still play 2001 in the 3rd quarter break?
Agreed. Less is more.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
evan_aggie
Recruit

Male

evan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his clawsevan_aggie is sharpening his claws

Quote:

You are correct that it is a weak "tradition", having been adopted in 2006. However, it does pump up your fans quite a bit before kick-off and gets everyone waving their hand towels. From that perspective, it seems to be fairly effective.

Our guys seem to like it too.

https://t.co/NGxKUgHAhR
evan_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

I agree with more selective.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #16
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockgolfer9 View Post
No.

We don't hear it at "every god forsaken opportunity"

We hear it before kick offs which, other than the opening kickoff, only happens after a score.

Scoring is good. If they played it in timeouts, etc then I would agree. But they don't.

It is played after scores and at either the opening or half-time kick off.
Well said!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Absolutely.

What I've never understood is- the university should have an abundance of pop-culture savvy individuals at their disposal. You know...college kids. How can our athletics department be so inept when it comes to creative ways to get the crowd pumped up? Why do we have to rely on such a small selection of music to get the crowd into it?

I was at the ECU game, and while sandstorm wasnt played as much as it was in a typical game last year (it was out of control last year) I do agree with the previous posted who said a "disappointing" drive that ended with a field goal didnt feel like a "sandstorm moment"
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #18
MrED
Walk On

Male

MrED is sharpening his clawsMrED is sharpening his clawsMrED is sharpening his clawsMrED is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
^^^^THIS

They should never play Sandstorm more than once during the game. Reserve it for pregame and maybe once during a huge momentum changing score.
MrED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
kidrobinski
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski is sharpening his clawskidrobinski is sharpening his clawskidrobinski is sharpening his clawskidrobinski is sharpening his claws

Yes.

I'll go along with the more selectively.

This saturday, I don't care about any of the hokey crap, not even 2001. Just the football team. Get out there and play like you have been coached, play like you are capable, play like the team you are. Its time for pride, not gimmicks.
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #20
carolinafanusc
Recruit

Male

carolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his combcarolinafanusc is developing his comb

Carolina fans are just tired of everything aren't we? It's amazing how a loss has fans nitpicking the band, the sound system, the grass, the paint on the field, Spurriers choice of gameday clothing. Amazing
carolinafanusc is offline   Reply With Quote