CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
rioninusc
QCB
KaneisAble
PageUSC
Regalcock
Master Bedroom
ReadR00ster
markp_vip
taylorssc
kick_ball
Our Defense? (2093)
Fight, win, kick a-- (888)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (793)
CFN prediction for a (716)
MMA: Holeve (Down Sy (486)
What happened to thi (433)
A simple defensive l (404)
Why I'm hopeful abou (402)
This is War (399)
Ranking Top HC jobs (385)
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
The Gator Bowl wants us!
calling all Gamecocks fro
2016 - Issac Nauta
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
A simple defensive line &
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
Our Defense?
In-state QB talent

Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talons
Default Why is everyone anticipating a blowout?

I know the defense is bad, but it can't play much worse than the defense did last year against Georgia. The Dawgs only punted once and didn't turn the ball over at all. Let me repeat: We stop them once the entire game. It was still a competitive game late into the 4th, with USC losing 41-30.

Why can't that happen this year? Our offense is on pace to set a scoring record this season. We should be able to match them score for score for most of the game. If it's a close game late in the 4th, all the pressure will be on Auburn. Who knows what can happen then?

Edit to add: I completely forgot the successful onside kick last season, so Georgia actually had an addition possession.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Outland
Walk On

Male

Outland has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Why is everyone anticipating a blowout?

Well, I dunno. Auburn is 26th in total defense, so they won't be a pushover. UGA is 16th and put up scores on them though.
Outland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
lake-cityCOCK89
Starter

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

I've said this all year, when our guys put their best effort together in all 3 phases of the game we will be a good team. The first 50 minutes of mizzou and some Georgia game offense and we'll be able to play with anybody.

Will we get it? Who knows. I think we're slowly getting better but it's not as fast as anybody would like.

A key Saturday is for us to start fast. Would be super if we could score first. I said it for the Georgia game, if we scored first it was game on.

Auburn is going to get their yards and all that. We need to play sound and not make stupid mistakes and we should be able to hang in there and have a shot.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Probably something to do with how each team has played against various levels of competition. Auburn has played well, we have played like dung...hence the blowout prediction. Add that we have never beaten Auburn and they play very well at home is just additional fuel to the speculative fire.

streaks are meant to be broken...let's just hope the streak is not in our underware after this one...
Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
ChickenButt
Recruit

Male

ChickenButt has hatched from the shell

I definitely think we have the offense to win this game if they don't shoot themselves in the foot -- no dropped passes, etc. But I'm afraid the margin of error will be razor-thin because our defense will struggle to stop them at all.

Georgia's got a great running game and we managed to stop them enough to win, so it's possible (though harder w/o Surratt). But the offense has to do their part, stay on the field and put points on the board. A couple of three-and-outs and it could get ugly real quick.
ChickenButt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I expect us to get handled.

If we keep it to 14 I may claim a moral victory...
Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

We have the talent to win this game in upset fashion, no doubt.

The problem is the likelihood we execute is very low if you look at our season thus far. All around.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
We have the talent to win this game in upset fashion, no doubt.

The problem is the likelihood we execute is very low if you look at our season thus far. All around.
I'm on board with you.

Don't forget how bad we've played in our 2 away games so far. Vandy and UK. That wasn't just a coincidence. We aren't a good road team and I don't anticipate that to magically change.

We're playing an offense that historically shreds our defense and against a team that seems to always have that mental edge over us (we never beat AU).

We have the talent to put up points but I anticipate we're looking at a 41-24 kind of final score at the end of the day.

I'm not even so much worried about their running game as I am their big experienced receivers which will be a matchup nightmare for our young inexperienced corners.
Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM   #9
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I'm on board with you.

Don't forget how bad we've played in our 2 away games so far. Vandy and UK. That wasn't just a coincidence. We aren't a good road team and I don't anticipate that to magically change.

We're playing an offense that historically shreds our defense and against a team that seems to always have that mental edge over us (we never beat AU).

We have the talent to put up points but I anticipate we're looking at a 41-24 kind of final score at the end of the day.

I'm not even so much worried about their running game as I am their big experienced receivers which will be a matchup nightmare for our young inexperienced corners.
You summed it up well.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 AM   #10
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
I know the defense is bad, but it can't play much worse than the defense did last year against Georgia. The Dawgs only punted once and didn't turn the ball over at all. Let me repeat: We stop them once the entire game. It was still a competitive game late into the 4th, with USC losing 41-30.

Why can't that happen this year? Our offense is on pace to set a scoring record this season. We should be able to match them score for score for most of the game. If it's a close game late in the 4th, all the pressure will be on Auburn. Who knows what can happen then?

Edit to add: I completely forgot the successful onside kick last season, so Georgia actually had an addition possession.
Our defense is 15 times worse than any time last year. And this Auburn team is a lot better than any team we played last year. When we lost to UGA last year we had Clowney and Shaw and our CBs. We couldn't stop a power running Georgia team because our LBs were too green and had no chance and they kept being exploited. This year is not just one group on defense being a weakness. The entire dang defense is bad in every area. We can't Stop Kentucky in a dang Wildcat formation. We are getting gashed by Furman. It's not the same.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM   #11
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenButt View Post
I definitely think we have the offense to win this game if they don't shoot themselves in the foot -- no dropped passes, etc. But I'm afraid the margin of error will be razor-thin because our defense will struggle to stop them at all.

Georgia's got a great running game and we managed to stop them enough to win, so it's possible (though harder w/o Surratt). But the offense has to do their part, stay on the field and put points on the board. A couple of three-and-outs and it could get ugly real quick.
It's not going to be the same. We knew Georgia was going to try to pound us in the running game and run right at us, so we stacked the box. We didn't stop them, but we slowed them down a little and gave our offense a chance. They should have thrown the ball more because we really weren't playing much pass defense. That's not going to work against Auburn. They have QB that is too fast for our defense. They run a lot of misdirection. They have WR that are monsters that none our guys can handle.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM   #12
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 17972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

This team is so special. And the only team that can beat South Carolina this Saturday night...is South Carolina.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:19 AM   #13
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post

Agree. Just revisit UK's wildcat shredding our slow and unconditioned DL...going to be a long day.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM   #14
Wkrice91
Blue Chip

Male

Wkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Agree. Just revisit UK's wildcat shredding our slow and unconditioned DL...going to be a long day.

Yeah...but the only reason we couldn't stop KY is because Lorenzo Ward was on the side lines, and not in the press box....
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM   #15
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

The only way this game is competitive is if we can run the ball successfully. We need 10-12 play TOUCHDOWN drives where we eat ALOT of clock. Keep their offense and our defense off the field as much as possible. That is our only chance.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #16
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

When I watched UK kill us with the Wildcat, my first thought was " damn, imagine what Auburn will do to us"

I think we will score, but I have little faith we will stop them.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM   #17
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkrice91 View Post
Yeah...but the only reason we couldn't stop KY is because Lorenzo Ward was on the side lines, and not in the press box....
Please tell me you are kidding.....
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #18
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
When I watched UK kill us with the Wildcat, my first thought was " damn, imagine what Auburn will do to us"

I think we will score, but I have little faith we will stop them.
If we go all heart on our tackling like we did against UGA and Auburn struggles to pass the ball, then we'll be in it late.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM   #19
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

Carolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina-Beez has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Our defense is 15 times worse than any time last year. And this Auburn team is a lot better than any team we played last year. When we lost to UGA last year we had Clowney and Shaw and our CBs. We couldn't stop a power running Georgia team because our LBs were too green and had no chance and they kept being exploited. This year is not just one group on defense being a weakness. The entire dang defense is bad in every area. We can't Stop Kentucky in a dang Wildcat formation. We are getting gashed by Furman. It's not the same.
We only stopped UGA once last season, so it would be impossible for our defense to play 15 times worse against Auburn. If that game was undecided in the 4th quarter, I see no reason this Saturday's game can't be competitive.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM   #20
ChickenButt
Recruit

Male

ChickenButt has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post

I thought we were past "moral victories". There's no such thing for a team that expects to be competing for championships.
ChickenButt is online now   Reply With Quote