CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
USC_21
JerseyBird
JDJones
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Cockypantherfan
SanAntonioCock
aftertwobowls
kick_ball
kingofnerf
2014 Charleston Clas (2576)
**USC Women vs. Clem (2109)
ESPNís Marisa Martin (1903)
Sidney Rice is havin (1099)
10 years since " (1082)
Fan bias toward a sp (1072)
RG3 - Struggles Not (818)
Family, Faith, and G (769)
Have a problem and h (597)
Why the hesitance to (468)
Dylan's post-game sidelin
Getting Back on Track - C
Ref trying to help Florid
Up Next: Gildan Charlesto
2014 Charleston Classic *
USC women new #1?
2015 Commitment - Arden K
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 Commitment - Dexter
Why the hesitance to put

Old 08-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
jgh35
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
jgh35 has hatched from the shell
Default Defensive Backfield

A lot has been said about the defensive backfield being our weak spot this year and quite frankly I was one of them. However, the more I look at the depth chart the better I feel about it. Both safety spots have experienced guys who can play on the 2 deep depth chart. As far as corners are concerned I think Brison Williams will be great at one corner as he is a senior and knows the defense as well as anyone. He is also athletic and has the speed to play the position. At the other corner, we are starting a true freshman, but this is by choice. His backup is a guy with experience who played a good deal last year. If the coaches feel that Harris has developed enough and has shown he is the best choice to start ahead of a Soph, then he must be really good. About the only question mark I see is relating to the backup for Brison Williams. This will certainly be a freshman with no experience. We have some excellent athletes there, but there is no substitute for experience. Brison will certainly have to come out from time to time so we will see very soon how well the freshman can hold the position. I feel pretty good about this lineup now and think they will perform well.
jgh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material
Default Re: Defensive Backfield

the sky is falling perspective is every starter going into the a&m game has less than a year's starting experience at the position they'll be playing. its kinda similar to the 2010 secondary (back 4). we werent throwing true freshmen out there back then, but gilmore was the only guy who had started an entire year and he was only a true sophomore. devonte holloman played safety in our nickel package in 2009 and dj swearinger played corner his freshman season. we moved culliver to cornerback and auguste to safety going into that season. we had cc whitlock returning as arguably our best cover corner as well. pretty much everyone was inconsistent that season and we had tons of busted coverages.

someone might want to ban me for even making that comparison, but heres the positive outlook. that 2010 team only had two juniors and one senior in the secondary two deep that played. this 2014 bunch we have 3 safeties going into their 3rd year on campus, one senior and all but moody have starting experience. brison probably has a deeper understanding of the defense than anybody who played on that 2010 being that hes played in this system for 3 years with the last two as a starter.

i wouldnt worry too much about brison's backup right now. based on what we did last year and what coach brown said in his last media availability, id expect us to go with a 3 corner rotation with the 4th or 5th corner just being a spot snap guy if necessary. expect us to go with our base defense even in obvious passing situations. golightly gives us the versatility to do that and moore and tj holloman cover a ton of ground at lb.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I'll feel better about the secondary if one of the freshman or Rico McWilliams can lock down the other corner spot across from Brison permanently. I would rather see the revolving door at nickel.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I think Rico is going to play well and lock down the spot opposite Brison. Thus allowing Harris, Lammons, and Green to work in slowly and play some nickelback.

Another thing to consider is Ward likes to play a Safety as the nickelback a lot. I think you will see Gurley play the nickelback for now.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
InletCock1989
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

I think Al Harris will make SEC Freshman!
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

This will turn into a strength of our defense quickly I think.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #7
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Nothing to see here move along.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
jgh35
Walk On

Male

In regard to my original post - NEVER MIND! I take it back. These guys are as lost as Easter eggs. Embarrassing!!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh35 View Post
In regard to my original post - NEVER MIND! I take it back. These guys are as lost as Easter eggs. Embarrassing!!!!
That's the way to own it.

Many of us were fooled. Hopefully the find themselves soon.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Just don't give the "Ellis Johnson 10-yard Cushion" and our defenders will actually have a chance to make some plays.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

You guys are killing me with this 10 yard cushion crap.

Did you see what happened when we tried press? Our corners couldn't even get their hands on the recievers at the LOS!

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

We are going to have to gamble on defense some. Bend but don't break is not going to work much it seems until our d becomes good tacklers.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #13
jgh35
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
You guys are killing me with this 10 yard cushion crap.

Did you see what happened when we tried press? Our corners couldn't even get their hands on the recievers at the LOS!
That was poor execution by a freshman, not a scheme issue. Also, that was inside the redzone. No need to play off the receiver there. I don't see why a corner would ever line up 10 yards deep on the outside receiver, unless you are comfortably ahead and trying to prevent the long ball. Line up 5-6 yards off the ball on the receivers inside shoulder. That prevents the short slant route. You have the sideline to work with so you dont have to worry about anything outside.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
BeaufortCOCK
Walk On

Male

BeaufortCOCK is learning to peck

10 yd cushion was the result of our lack of pass rush imo. Make the first year QB execute the short passes to avoid being exposed by the down field passing game. With some tackling it might have had a chance.
BeaufortCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Last year we got pressure from our DL. Our linebackers could drop into coverage, though they stunk at it most of the year. Against A&M, the LB's are didn't cover much short stuff and missed a bunch of tackles. Somebody has to at least squeeze the passing lanes if we can't get pressure. Did we even tip one pass?
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote