CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
Gamecocks1137
El Cid Ranger
kingofnerf
Captain9Dragons
ReadR00ster
The Yancey
2000grad
gadeneer1986
Fight, win, kick a-- (1076)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (916)
CFN prediction for a (853)
Why I'm hopeful abou (782)
The Gator Bowl wants (766)
USC will upset Aubur (648)
A simple defensive l (630)
What happened to thi (599)
Ranking Top HC jobs (452)
In-state QB talent (405)
BA ranks recruiting class
A simple defensive line &
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Thoughts on the basketbal
Ranking the SEC Football
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Media tabs South Carolina
Cann tipping plays?
Name a Gamecock

Old 08-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #21
1SCFanInPAUntilNow
Franchise Playa

Male

CockyCash: 9283831
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material
Default Re: SOS is pissed

I don't get the hate for the offense. Down 10 right away changes the game plan. Spurrier saw how bad the D was he knew he had to be aggressive. I thought the O played good under the circumstances. There is a lot of room for improvement but this loss isn't on the O.
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #22
USC843
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Pony View Post
Do whatever it takes to get Lawing back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS. We are REALLY missing him right now.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #23
Chucktown Vol
Walk On

Male

Chucktown Vol has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SCFanInPAUntilNow View Post
I don't get the hate for the offense. Down 10 right away changes the game plan. Spurrier saw how bad the D was he knew he had to be aggressive. I thought the O played good under the circumstances. There is a lot of room for improvement but this loss isn't on the O.
Good to see someone in this thread with some sense.
Chucktown Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #24
onamission
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1300
onamission has hatched from the shell

We need someone to coach the dline.
onamission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #25
tsb44
4-Star

Male

tsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPittsb44 rules the CockPit

I've never...I repeat never understood running the zone when you're in the 3-4... It serves no purpose except to get your ass whooped.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #26
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SCFanInPAUntilNow View Post
Because you don't freak out down by 10 and turn to "catch up" mode and abandon the run. A run game controls the clock and gives room for the field to open up for the pass. The team who controls the clock wins the game. Usually, that is from running the ball...but like we saw tonight, it can also be accomplished by a short passing game (screens, curls, quick outs, slants, etc). They established, we didn't...we tried to play catch up and veered from the gameplan I am sure SOS had in place.

Unfortunately, as the game progressed the defense shit the bed continually and we got deeper into a hole where no matter what...run or pass, we needed big gains and first downs.

Not only that, but the passing game never really got under control. Never had a rhythm and we didn't set a tempo with passing the ball around. Thompson was really erratic (high throws in the short game, underthrows in long game).

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #27
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #28
zcoop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 404
zcoop has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
As I said in another thread, Spurrier doesn't need to let the offensive guys off the hook. They left a lot to be desired, too. Yes, they were much better than the defense, but there were several things the offense mucked up.

It says a lot when you realize the total points the offense put on the board didn't even match what A&M put up in the first half.

Yeah, I know someone will say, "We got behind early and had to change the game plan." Ya know what? I don't care, because when it's all said and done, the offense has one job just like the defense. And while the offense did its job better than the defense, BOTH units failed. It is still a team sport, right?
True, the D wasn't worth a crap but the O stunk as well. A&M's D is not a good as we made them look. We won't be able to long-pass our way to wins this year.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:59 PM   #29
TAFC 5 1981
Blue Chip

Male

TAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot materialTAFC 5 1981 is USC mascot material

He doesn't hold anything back.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 AM   #30
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Listening to spurrier it sounds like we will be an ok team this year , nothing spectacular
Old 08-29-2014, 12:10 AM   #31
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
True, the D wasn't worth a crap but the O stunk as well. A&M's D is not a good as we made them look. We won't be able to long-pass our way to wins this year.
The offense did enough to win that football game. Keep in mind the offense never had a chance to execute any sort of game plan because the team got down so quickly. Spurrier even said they had to throw the second half so they didnt even bother playing mike davis.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #32
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

We were very vanilla tonight guys and gals. I saw Carolina make aTm look like a top10 team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #33
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolinc View Post
We were very vanilla tonight guys and gals. I saw Carolina make aTm look like a top10 team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No we made them look like national champs
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #34
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
The offense did enough to win that football game. Keep in mind the offense never had a chance to execute any sort of game plan because the team got down so quickly. Spurrier even said they had to throw the second half so they didnt even bother playing mike davis.
Eh...we had 2 long TD passes on busted coverage. Other than that, we punted on our other 3 drives and 2 of them were luckily extended by questionable PI calls.

We weren't exactly moving the ball well while our defense was crapping out.

The only time the offense was in a rhythm during the game was for about 3 plays before the 2nd half...other than that, they were pretty terrible too.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #35
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Because you don't freak out down by 10 and turn to "catch up" mode and abandon the run. A run game controls the clock and gives room for the field to open up for the pass. The team who controls the clock wins the game. Usually, that is from running the ball...but like we saw tonight, it can also be accomplished by a short passing game (screens, curls, quick outs, slants, etc). They established, we didn't...we tried to play catch up and veered from the gameplan I am sure SOS had in place.

Unfortunately, as the game progressed the defense shit the bed continually and we got deeper into a hole where no matter what...run or pass, we needed big gains and first downs.

Not only that, but the passing game never really got under control. Never had a rhythm and we didn't set a tempo with passing the ball around. Thompson was really erratic (high throws in the short game, underthrows in long game).
it is hard for the offense to get into any kind of rhythm when the defense only gets 2 stops all game.

And yes Dylan wasn't great tonight, but he threw a lot of balls where the receivers had a chance to make a play and didn't...and I am not just talking about the balls that were dropped. To win a game like that at some point your receivers have to come up with a big play...our receivers didn't do that enough tonight.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #36
Blackland
Blue Chip

Male

Blackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his comb

Well I am pissed at SOS. Are you really telling me that SOS didn't know we have no defense? He is the HBC, the buck stops with him. He should take the blame.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #37
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

The offense did not do enough to win the game tonight. That's a joke if you believe that.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #38
Superadiabatic
Blue Chip

Male

Superadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his comb

Well, the offense was by no means great at this point but they appear to be repairable at this point. If DT can improve his accuracy, the receivers can stop dropping so many, and we can get a running game going then the O is fine.

It was hard to say the defense on the field tonight is fixable. Maybe they'll improve week by week and be decent by the end of the season but they looked just plain terrible tonight. It wasn't just the poor secondary play, we didn't any real pressure with the front four and ... most importantly ... they looked to be in general disarray from the first series. It's as though they didn't know what they were doing out there.

If the defense gets just 3 more stops, this game would have been competitive with the offense's performance. Not a win, but not an embarrassment, either.

HBC can and should pick at the offense to a certain extent. But 75 percent of our problems are defensive at this point. They gave up more than a third a of a mile of total yards.

Early and often.

Superadiabatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #39
highstick
Recruit

Male

highstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurshighstick has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCockinDecatur View Post
Yup, he does have every right to be.

We got whooped but the offense kept us as close to staying in that game as possible.

The defense is the worst I can remember ever seeing it and I've been watching Gamecock football for 3 decades.

I'm not blaming the players as much as I am the D coaching staff.

There's no way there would be that many missed arm tackles if those boys were coached correctly.
\\

Sure did remind me of some of those years not so long ago when I wondered why they kept trying to tackle air. I thought we were beyond that...Evidently not...
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #40
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Eh...we had 2 long TD passes on busted coverage. Other than that, we punted on our other 3 drives and 2 of them were luckily extended by questionable PI calls.

We weren't exactly moving the ball well while our defense was crapping out.

The only time the offense was in a rhythm during the game was for about 3 plays before the 2nd half...other than that, they were pretty terrible too.
I didn't see any questionable PI calls. If anything I saw a couple of calls that were missed, in particular one incompletion where the safety just came up and hit the WR just after he made his break (and beat the CB).
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote