CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
b381l
Gamecockswag
cocksmith1or11
Regalcock
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
The Yancey
Travelin
The Comeback & T (613)
Simple "yes&quo (558)
ESPN Game Day Commen (511)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (434)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (395)
TeMarcus Blanton (327)
An A to Z of Noah We (297)
Phil Steele just pre (184)
Wallpaper & Back (180)
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Why I think we beat Aubur
Who start on the d line t
Simple "yes" or
TeMarcus Blanton
Phil Steele just predicte
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Garcia: Change the Rules
2016 - Avery McCall

Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
garnetheart32
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
garnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his comb
Default Is anybody still optimistic?

All I read is negativity. The simple fact is we were outmatched by a team we knew little about and greatly underestimated. We know less about ourselves now than we did before. If your putting money on us I'd go under on anything. But as a fanbase can we have a little bit of dignity please and not blame this coach or that player or whoever your blaming for this loss. We could bounce back from this in tremendous fashion or fall flat on our faces. Let's play a few more games before we play the blame game though shall we. Step away from the ledge gamecock nation put your torches and pitchforks away and sit back down in front of your TV set.
garnetheart32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
jacksajester
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 541
jacksajester is learning to peckjacksajester is learning to peck
Default Re: Is anybody still optimistic?

hell no I'm not optimistic. Did you watch that steaming pile of shit we call a defense last night? I will still watch and pull for them, but we're staring a bad season in the face unless the defense pulls a complete 180. That was the worst defensive performance I have seen since WV hung 70 on Clemson.
jacksajester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

Being outmatched would be one thing. But our D was historically bad. I don't take away from A&M's QB but, honestly, any half decent QB could have had a field day with how our D covered. He played well, but our D was really, really, really, really, really, really bad.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

It took all of one play for them to figure out our D.
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

I blame it on the lack of a "Don't underestimate Texas A&M" thread.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

College football is a really fun, bizarre sport because you never know what can happen. Just like no one predicted A&M/Kenny Hill to do this, we can still go on and have a nice season. Maybe we got our WTF loss out of our systems early this year. Maybe we'll be like 2012 Georgia and rack up 10 straight wins after an embarrassing conference blowout. Maybe neither of those things will be true and we'll "just" win eight or nine games (or yes, seven or less).

I dunno. But it's definitely way too early to throw in the towel and declare this a losing season. At least give it a few more weeks before making that kind of prediction.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
USC843
Recruit

Male

USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

Until Blackshear and Key get on that line im not gonna be optimistic.
USC843 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

The expectations for this season was to win the east. We put ourselves in a big hole last night. We also play another tempo offense next week with a very solid quarterback and good offensive line (from what I hear, at least.) Our defense is scared to death to hit anyone. Our pass rush is non existent. People are saying TAMU has the best offense we'll play all season, but Auburn has three 6'3"+ wide receivers and a unique talent at quarterback.

There's not much to be optimistic about IMO.

BUT, five players who I think actually wanted it last night were:
Pharoh Cooper
Busta
Nick Jones
Wilds
Jarrell

That was refreshing to see a few guys actually try.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Not the slightest bit of optimism from me. How could anyone be after that performance?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Last night sucked, but a big win over ECU will do wonders for optimism. Then again, if the D shits their pants against ECU and we lose, Gamecock Nation will erupt.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

I really hope this was just an abberration. I hope it was just a schematic mismatch issue and we match up better with everyone else on our schedule. I'm looking for any possible signs of optimism. We have athletes, maybe theirs were just more prepared. Sumlin is a really good coach. They were on point. Going to be interesting to follow them in their other big games.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
garnetheart32
Recruit

Male

garnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his comb

Look at it this way. We put up 28 our defense played like dog shite against probably the most prolific offense we see all year. We can only get better. I know for a fact we will see improvement on defense( I don't know how much). If we improve on defense establish a ground game and match or better our points output each week. We have a chance to battle it out and trade blows each week to get a win. All I'm asking is for a week or two of optimism before we jump the gun
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
chucknorrisrx
Walk On

Male

chucknorrisrx has hatched from the shell

I'm still trying to be optimistic. I think like some other people said we had our sights set high for the east. Yes we've put ourself in a hole but look where we've come from. Spurrier has done a lot for the Gamecocks and I think he's going to try an help right the defense. Forever to thee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chucknorrisrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Trying to be optimistic, but it's tough right now. The defense is going to have to improve greatly for me to keep hope of winning the East
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

I think we need a little time to get this humiliation out of our system first. I still believe that we can right the ship and have a great season, but I'm realistic enough to realize that fixing that many problems doesn't happen overnight. I'm just going to try and take it a week at a time. Let's just beat the Pirates!
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
garnetheart32
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I think we need a little time to get this humiliation out of our system first. I still believe that we can right the ship and have a great season, but I'm realistic enough to realize that fixing that many problems doesn't happen overnight. I'm just going to try and take it a week at a time. Let's just beat the Pirates!
I'm trying to walk that fine line right now between optimism and realistic. Really a good way to go through life if you ask me.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Nope. Absolutely no pass rush and inability to cover the receivers leads to a disaster, like last night. Hell, I think ECU comes in and gets a W next weekend.

When you plant shit-seeds. You get shit-weeds.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
auslander
Beach bum

Male

CockyCash: 710
auslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot material

Yes. I woke up a Gamecock. Tough crushing loss but learn from it an come back swinging. It's a GREAT day to be a Gamecock! Garnet and Black for life win or not!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
Lankey62
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1718
Lankey62 is sharpening his clawsLankey62 is sharpening his clawsLankey62 is sharpening his clawsLankey62 is sharpening his claws

I'm not optimistic that we can win the east this year. Our west schedule is too daunting to realistically consider that a possibility. I believe that we will have a decent 8 or 9 win season in what will turn out to be a rebuilding year. I hope that I'm wrong, but I do not put much hope in doing anything significant this season.
Lankey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #20
Garnet Spur
Recruit

Male

Garnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervousGarnet Spur is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetheart32 View Post
If we improve on defense establish a ground game

From what I saw last night the Defense can't help but improve if they make 1 tackle that will be an improvement. And to establish a Ground Game our O line has to come out of the locker room on running plays they did ok on pass plays , but my granddaughter is tougher than our O Line was last night.
Bottom line our team has got to get tough and hit somebody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!