CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
CockyLifer
JerseyBird
The Yancey
kingoftheroost
SMOTFS86
Gamecocks1137
B-G
catdaddy66
**USC vs. Coker GAME (2228)
Bruce!!! (1421)
2014 Subway Classic: (1226)
Cocky at the Duck Co (286)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (219)
aTm demolishes Kyle (201)
movers, furniture do (190)
Streaming nfl games (173)
Deer Hunting 2014 (171)
Happy Winter Solstic (125)
2015 Commitment - Quandes
aTm demolishes Kyle Field
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
Cocky at the Duck Command
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Former Gamecock rooting f
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Bruce!!!
***2014 Carolina Panthers

Old 08-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #21
AggieSportsGuy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
AggieSportsGuy has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Predict the Season (After Game 1)

I'm basing this off what I saw from y'all last night, plus the natural growth of your team that will happen over the year. I think y'all are a good team.

Texas A&M - L
East Carolina - W
Georgia - L, and honestly I think it will be close.
@ Vanderbilt - W, handily
Missouri - W, I think Mizzou won't be that great.
@Kentucky - W
Furman - W
@Auburn - L, but I also think Auburn won't be as good as last year so it will be decently close
Tennessee - W, They suck
@Florida - W, I don't buy UF
South Alabama - W
@Clemson - W, I think by this time in the year y'all will hit your stride.

Good luck this season. I know it can be hard, but don't ride the emotional waves of college football. I like taking it one game at a time and seeing the growth of teams over the year, and that's what I'm going to do with A&M as well. You can't deny what y'all have done the past three years, and then just throw it out the window. Y'all will still have a good season.
AggieSportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Let's just concentrate and take it one week at a time. I'm sure these weekly predictions will change if we look like world beaters and say we spanked ECU by 40+ points, like the ranked team we are. Also, if we lose to ECU, the other way around.

But as it stands right now, I have faith in our coaching staff. Hell, I'm surprised we're not complaining about special teams! That's weird.
ECU is going to do the same things offensively that A&M did. We won't be able to stop them. Defense is a dumpster fire.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #23
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Also I think it's possible we get our asses handed to us by ECU. I never thought that was possible but we need to be realistic with the defense that was on the field last night.
Man I hope not. That would piss me off more then this loss. I read ECU only returns 9 starters, which is the least in the nation. Yeah they got a good QB and WR, but their defense is pretty bad. I think we'll win by 10 or so.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
ECU is going to do the same things offensively that A&M did. We won't be able to stop them. Defense is a dumpster fire.
Agree. Can someone more talented than me please PS Lorenzo Ward trying to put this out with a squirt gun?

Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
Could go either way against ECU and Mizzou, but we beat UGA, UT and win AT FL? Interesting take.
It's based on the hope that we figure out D in the time before UGa in order to be good enough against their new QB who (again, here's the hope) hopefully won't be as good as A&M's was.

ECU has the same type of O as A&M from what I've heard, and I remember Mizzou running something similar. Not sure of their personnel, but I think their QB is legit. With ECU it's the fact that we have them a week from tomorrow that contributes to the chances of a L. Winning against UGA and FL is based on our lone strength on D right now lining up with their running attack, that's all. UGA being at home also helps, as does Muschamp being at FL.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #26
Evilchicken3
Banned

Male

Evilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spurs

ECU is going to clobber us! I think we improve dramatically for the UGA game, but I really think we start 0-3. Guys, don't kid yourselves...the D is that bad. The eyes did not lie!
Evilchicken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #27
garnetheart32
Recruit

Male

garnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his comb

I'd like to do this list after ecu and seeing what this team is like after adjustments but I say realistically we lose to Georgia Missouri Florida and auburn. 8-5 with a victory in some no nothing bowl game. My heart is saying 9 win reg season though. With Florida and Missouri being the additional wins.
garnetheart32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #28
SCBLACKDOG
Recruit

Male

SCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his comb

5 and 7. Going to take 3 years to rebuild if we get 2 to 3 years of top five recruiting results and Spurrier sticks it out.

Texas A&M - L
East Carolina - W, by 10 or so.
Georgia - L, Ugly Loss by 24 or so.
@ Vanderbilt - W, by 21 or so.
Missouri - L, by 4 or so.
@Kentucky - L, by 6 or so.
Furman - W, by 14 or so.
@Auburn - L, ugly loss by 24 or so.
Tennessee - W, by 2 or so.
@Florida - L, by 17 or so.
South Alabama - W
@Clemson - L, by 11 or so. This is going to get somebody fired on the defensive side.
SCBLACKDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #29
garnetheart32
Recruit

Male

garnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his combgarnetheart32 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenButt View Post
Lose to Auburn, beat everyone else, win the SECCG, SEC Champs baby!!!

I mean it, and I'll keep believing it until it doesn't happen.
Im a little bit jealous that I don't have that attitude towards us right now.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #30
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Gotta' watch another game or two first. We've looked really rough early in the season a few times before. We were just playing inferior teams so we squeaked by with a W.
LegalCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #31
garnetheart32
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCock91 View Post
If we can fix the defense, I think we only lose to Auburn, maybe Florida.
Unfortunately, I think Rome is burning. Our defense really is only fixable to a certain extent right now. We can fix the tackling. Improve scheme assignments(where corners line up),other than that we are screwed. Our line can't put pressure on a drunk Missouri frat girl corners couldn't cover Betty White if they tried. And nobody is big fast or agile enough to play with the big boys without setting records(not good ones either)
Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #32
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Man I hope not. That would piss me off more then this loss. I read ECU only returns 9 starters, which is the least in the nation. Yeah they got a good QB and WR, but their defense is pretty bad. I think we'll win by 10 or so.
ECU is going to give us fits and we can't expect the defense to look any better. My early prediction is ECU wins and we ultimately start 0-3.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #33
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

I made the following post back on June 2 and was criticized for it:

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread....30#post4174430

I stand by the prediction I made in June, which is copied below:

I'm a pessimist, but I see us taking a sizable step back this year. I'm not sold on Dylan as an SEC-caliber QB and I think we'll struggle mightily given some inexperience and personnel deficiencies on defense, particularly at DE

Here are my Carolina and SEC predictions for the upcoming year:

South Carolina 2014 Schedule
Texas A&M Loss
East Carolina Win
Georgia Loss
at Vanderbilt Win
Missouri Win
at Kentucky Win
Furman Win
at Auburn Loss
Tennessee Win
at Florida Loss
South Alabama Win
at Clemson Loss
7-5 (4-4 SEC)

Overall SEC Predictions

SEC East
Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
Florida 8-4 (5-3)
USC 7-5 (4-4)
Missouri 7-5 (3-5)
Tennessee 6-6 (3-5)
Vanderbilt 5-7 (1-7)
Kentucky 3-9 (0-8)

SEC West
Alabama 11-1 (7-1)
Auburn 11-1 (7-1)
LSU 10-2 (6-2)
Texas A&M 9-3 (5-3)
Miss State 8-4 (4-4)
Ole Miss 7-5 (3-5)
Arkansas 4-8 (1-7)

Alabama over UGA in the SEC Championship

As I said earlier, I'm a pessimist. While I do think we'll go 7-5, I also recognize that prediction is near the "worst-case scenario" for the Gamecocks, barring a horrific rash of injuries or unforeseen circumstances. I hope I'm wrong and the Gamecocks far exceed my expectations, I'll be at all the home games and I'm going to try and make all the road games

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #34
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

"Adjustments" are things you make at halftime (which we failed to do)

"Overhauls" are things that occur over the course of seasons

This team doesn't need "adjustments". We got taken to the woodshed in a historic manner by a program that has exploded in literally two seasons.

We're in sorry shape to be talking about (legitimately, and not out of anger) firing the DC and questioning the overall ability of a senior QB

That is a very bad sign
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #35
garnetheart32
Recruit

Male

A senior Qb who waited his turn and wasn't good enough to play when he was a soph or freshman. And I was specifically talking about things that are in our control that can be fixed with the defense. Tackling specifically should be leaps and bounds better next week if they focus on that in practice. When fundamentals are that bad week one they are easy to improve upon by week two.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #36
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetheart32 View Post
When fundamentals are that bad week one they are easy to improve upon by week two.
Maybe they don't have solid fundamentals in the first place. Our team is simply not very good. Couple that with the fact that coaches had no game plan = nosedive.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #37
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Texas A&M Loss
East Carolina Toss Up
Georgia Loss
at Vanderbilt Win
Missouri Toss Up
at Kentucky Win
Furman Win
at Auburn Loss
Tennessee Win
at Florida Loss
South Alabama Win
at Clemson Loss

7-5 or 6-6
Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #38
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts;4242125[B
]"Adjustments" are things you make at halftime (which we failed to do)[/b]

"Overhauls" are things that occur over the course of seasons

This team doesn't need "adjustments". We got taken to the woodshed in a historic manner by a program that has exploded in literally two seasons.

We're in sorry shape to be talking about (legitimately, and not out of anger) firing the DC and questioning the overall ability of a senior QB

That is a very bad sign
That's the most discouraging thing right there. How many times do you need to get burnt on a WR screen before you stop giving them a 10 yard cushion? Way too many of their plays were going for 8+ yards before anyone even made contact with them.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #39
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

ECU, UGA, Auburn and Tennessee will be your toughest defensive matchups this season as they will all have really high flying O's.

Those would be the games I would be worried about the most as a SC fan with the defense being a mess.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #40
Blackland
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Blackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his comb

6-5 or 7-4 if we get lucky.
Blackland is offline   Reply With Quote