CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
WeStillOwnUSC
Tolley
SwampFox
GamecockGuardsman
kingofnerf
ColaCock
doubledribble
TN game weather (1093)
Who is your favorite (864)
Marvel releases movi (398)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (386)
Aliens Are Real (361)
FSU vs. Louisville (301)
Virgin Spaceship Exp (239)
Need a ride tomorrow (168)
Brady Hoke Motivatio (148)
Talking Animals (107)
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Cavs vs. Bulls
Uniforms for Tenn
Tennessee - South Carolin
Lattimore to play after S
TN game weather
NCAAF: TENNESSEE @ SOUTH
NCAAF: ARKANSAS @ MISSISS
NCAAF: OKLAHOMA @ IOWA ST

Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
SCBLACKDOG
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
SCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his comb
Default Contingency Plans

Time for Tanner to start putting contingency plans in place to minimize the damage of the lack of recruiting the last two years. He should do the following:

1. Find/steal a top flight bad ass defensive coordinator like Kirby Smart that can properly evaluate and recruit, game plan, make adjustments, put together the right subordinate staff, etc. This will take big money as well as a "coach in waiting" agreement.
  2. Push recruiting to the next level by giving the HBC enormous recruiting budget and resources. Drive home this point and give him the support he needs to get it done.
  3. Keep pushing and speed up the facility improvements. Borrow whatever money is necessary to get at the front of this space race.
We have made great strides the last 5 years but I feel like we need some more urgency from the AD and BOT. With all this money flying around everybody is investing. Look at what A&M and MIZZ are doing with their facilities. UT and UK are making a push. I feel like we are mid pack in facilities and starting to fall back....
SCBLACKDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Harry Cock
Recruit

Male

Harry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Contingency Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBLACKDOG View Post
Time for Tanner to start putting contingency plans in place to minimize the damage of the lack of recruiting the last two years. He should do the following:

1. Find/steal a top flight bad ass defensive coordinator like Kirby Smart that can properly evaluate and recruit, game plan, make adjustments, put together the right subordinate staff, etc. This will take big money as well as a "coach in waiting" agreement.
  2. Push recruiting to the next level by giving the HBC enormous recruiting budget and resources. Drive home this point and give him the support he needs to get it done.
  3. Keep pushing and speed up the facility improvements. Borrow whatever money is necessary to get at the front of this space race.
We have made great strides the last 5 years but I feel like we need some more urgency from the AD and BOT. With all this money flying around everybody is investing. Look at what A&M and MIZZ are doing with their facilities. UT and UK are making a push. I feel like we are mid pack in facilities and starting to fall back....
we need to fork out som serious cash for a d coorinator
Harry Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

We have a nice recruiting class coming in, why would we fire Lorenzo now?

We will never be able outspend the big boys. Our facilities are steadily improving, but we'll never have a real advantage there. Spurrier is all we got over the competition.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Right now, if I was Ray Tanner, I would have cleared my calendar for the next two weeks, sat down and said, what are the things I need to do in order to shore up and take this program to next level. Because we have plateaued

That is exactly the glaring and obvious lesson of this catastrophe of a game. We have hit the ceiling
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
spareparts
Banned

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:

You see this like a business which is exactly the perspective that has been missing. Hyman knew this and it's obvious what we lost watching the events of the past 24 hours. Tanner is pretty savvy. It just depends on how much we can remain ahead of the curve.

I don't think we're going to blow up the program but we need major, major long term additions. 11-win seasons in the rear view mirror don't mean shit in the SEC. Not anymore.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
SCBLACKDOG
Recruit

Male

SCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his combSCBLACKDOG is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
We have a nice recruiting class coming in, why would we fire Lorenzo now?

We will never be able outspend the big boys. Our facilities are steadily improving, but we'll never have a real advantage there. Spurrier is all we got over the competition.
I should clarify this would done under the radar. The first step would be to make a wishlist and then start making moves mid season or so based on how our season is playing out.

Last night was a wake up call on the state of the gamecock union. We do not have time to waste based on the SEC competition level and the HBC being at the end of his career.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
spareparts
Banned

Male

Quote:
I should clarify this would done under the radar. The first step would be to make a wishlist and then start making moves mid season or so based on how our season is playing out.

Last night was a wake up call on the state of the gamecock union. We do not have time to waste based on the SEC competition level and the HBC being at the end of his career.
I am on board with this point of view
Old 08-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:

USC unlike a lot of the other schools in the SEC are upgrading all sports facilities from the tennis court, indoor and outdoor track, softball etc. USC could allocate those funds to upgrading the Brice and surrounding areas while ignoring the other sports. I like that the other sports are getting their upgrades but if USC wants to be a football power then football needs to come first.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Blackland
Blue Chip

Male

Blackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his comb

Why don't we just pay the players more like they do at Albarn and Bama?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
GSC2013
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudlyGSC2013 is crowing loudly

Remember, Georgia didn't blow things up after we beat them 35-7 two years ago. Heck, they ended up 4 yards from winning the SEC that year.

Missouri didn't blow things up after we blasted them in 2012. They won the East the next year.

Auburn didn't blow things up in 2012 when they went 0-8 in the SEC. They won the SEC the next year.

If we start 1-2 or 0-3, maybe worry.

We're all in shock. Just let the weekend pass, find a way to beat ECU, then reassess. No reason to take out a $50,000,000 loan from China to build a space moon stadium for recruits.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Right now, if I was Ray Tanner, I would have cleared my calendar for the next two weeks, sat down and said, what are the things I need to do in order to shore up and take this program to next level. Because we have plateaued

That is exactly the glaring and obvious lesson of this catastrophe of a game. We have hit the ceiling
Excellent post
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I have a plan. Hire A&M's Offensive Coordinator.

He is the next Malzahn of college football
Old 08-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
SCBLACKDOG
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
USC unlike a lot of the other schools in the SEC are upgrading all sports facilities from the tennis court, indoor and outdoor track, softball etc. USC could allocate those funds to upgrading the Brice and surrounding areas while ignoring the other sports. I like that the other sports are getting their upgrades but if USC wants to be a football power then football needs to come first.
You are exactly right. Treat the football program like a military budget in the time of war for the greater long term good for all sports.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
I have a plan. Hire A&M's Offensive Coordinator.

He is the next Malzahn of college football
We don't need to hire him to do what they are doing. It aint rocket surgery.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote