CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
Regalcock
Polls (3225)
Gameday in Columbia (2835)
Gameday Sign Ideas (2463)
Clem5on fans are bes (1471)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1418)
Why Weren't We Bette (1314)
SEC East Race as of (1123)
ST coach fired this (933)
Hardest Schedule (923)
Let's talk about Mat (919)
Why Weren't We Better Pre
ST coach fired this week
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Gameday in Columbia
Clem5on fans are beside t
D line pressure
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014
Polls
iPhone 6/6plus and Apple
James Thompson - 6'9"

Old 08-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
U_South_Cack
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
U_South_Cack has hatched from the shell
Default Play for next year

We have deficiencies that are very apparent and we just aren't primed to have a good year. This is a talent issue, not a scheme issue. So here's my proposal.

1. Start Mitch. Throw him in the fire. Let him play and live with his mistakes. He's the future.
2. Our dline this year will not start next year with sawyer, wideman, blackshear, key, etc coming in. They're not d1 calibre.
3. Our secondary will be much improved next year and we will have a pass rush to compliment them. We have to live with their mistakes this year.

Thoughts? Also, I would play Williams until Davis decides he wants to play.
U_South_Cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Play for next year

Sliiiiiiiiight overreaction.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

LOL its one freaking game into the season. You can't be serious with this BS.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U_South_Cack View Post
We have deficiencies that are very apparent and we just aren't primed to have a good year. This is a talent issue, not a scheme issue. So here's my proposal.

1. Start Mitch. Throw him in the fire. Let him play and live with his mistakes. He's the future.
2. Our dline this year will not start next year with sawyer, wideman, blackshear, key, etc coming in. They're not d1 calibre.
3. Our secondary will be much improved next year and we will have a pass rush to compliment them. We have to live with their mistakes this year.

Thoughts? Also, I would play Williams until Davis decides he wants to play.
I said the same thing to my dad while walking out of the stadium last night. I wouldn't start Mitch but would go ahead and let him get some meaningful reps. We desperately need Lewis and Blackshear at DE right now. I don't see that defense getting that much better as the year goes on. They are nowhere close to being competitive.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Not ready to pull the trigger on that one yet, but thinking about that game makes my trigger finger pretty itchy.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
U_South_Cack
Walk On

Male

Dylan is a 50% passer at best. He doesn't have the nfl arm everyone thinks he has. He floats half his passes. Has terrible footwork. He didn't lose us the game, but he didn't do us any favors. Mitch can probably be a 50-55% passer this season, and become a 60-65% guy next season. I grew up in Georgia. In 06' uga started 5th year senior joe terishinski. After uga got shellacked by Tennessee, richt benched him and started the more talented but raw stafford. They went 9-5, then 11-2. Next year we can be a lot better. We don't want a qb learning on the job next year when we have all the pieces to compete lined up.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
NAGamecockFan
Philippians 4:13

Male

NAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spursNAGamecockFan has earned his spurs

Quote:
Dylan is a 50% passer at best. He doesn't have the nfl arm everyone thinks he has. He floats half his passes. Has terrible footwork. He didn't lose us the game, but he didn't do us any favors. Mitch can probably be a 50-55% passer this season, and become a 60-65% guy next season. I grew up in Georgia. In 06' uga started 5th year senior joe terishinski. After uga got shellacked by Tennessee, richt benched him and started the more talented but raw stafford. They went 9-5, then 11-2. Next year we can be a lot better. We don't want a qb learning on the job next year when we have all the pieces to compete lined up.
I completely agree with you dude.
NAGamecockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

CockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
In general, we always have this seniority rule on our team. QB, RB whatever. There was never a serious QB competition, other teams work out the top two and wait before naming a starter.
I know Thompson is the presumed front-runner, but you can't tell me Mitch couldn't have at least gotten some reps last night.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Gamecock Brent
Faithful Gamecock Fan

Male

CockyCash: 1579701
Gamecock Brent has feathers coming inGamecock Brent has feathers coming inGamecock Brent has feathers coming in

It's only one loss!

I PULL FOR TWO TEAMS.....
SOUTH CAROLINA AND WHOEVER PLAYS CLEMSON!
Gamecock Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
U_South_Cack
Walk On

Male

I just want people to understand that I'm not typing this out of desperation or over exaggerating. We're going to have 5* calibre guys on the line next year. We're going to have a 2 deep of jr/sr lbs. we're going to have a 2deep at db where the guys are seasoned, bigger, faster and more skilled. Davis and Roland may have to come back if they continue to play the way they have. We will have deebo, cooper, Adams, etc as receiving threats additionally. We can be really great next year. Sometimes to win later, you have to take a loss now.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
1) There's no guarantee Sawyer is here next year.

2) There's no guarantee Wideman is here next year.

3) What does Key currently weigh? 220 or so? If people are griping because our DE's are currently undersized and can't generate a rush, what good will a 220 lb DE do as a true freshman? He's going to have to have time to build bulk.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Connor Mitch can't even beat out Perry Orth and you want him to play? Really?

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

CockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
I just want people to understand that I'm not typing this out of desperation or over exaggerating. We're going to have 5* calibre guys on the line next year. We're going to have a 2 deep of jr/sr lbs. we're going to have a 2deep at db where the guys are seasoned, bigger, faster and more skilled. Davis and Roland may have to come back if they continue to play the way they have. We will have deebo, cooper, Adams, etc as receiving threats additionally. We can be really great next year. Sometimes to win later, you have to take a loss now.
You make valid points, I think the general frustration is that this is an ongoing theme.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
U_South_Cack
Walk On

Male

We just have to be patient. Every team goes through down years. This is going to be one. Uga, auburn, bama, Florida, Tennessee, lsu all go through them. It's our turn. I think we bounce back sooner rather than later.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Connor Mitch can't even beat out Perry Orth and you want him to play? Really?
Serious question, how long do we wait to get him reps? Heaven forbid DT continues to look uncomfortable, or worse injured? Then just throw Mitch into the fire, at that point?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyGuy View Post
Serious question, how long do we wait to get him reps? Heaven forbid DT continues to look uncomfortable, or worse injured? Then just throw Mitch into the fire, at that point?
He. has. yet. to. beat. out. a. walk-on.

Its not even a foregone conclusion that he is the 1st off the bench.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #17
U_South_Cack
Walk On

Male

Our fans need to come to grips with the fact that we just aren't that talented this season defensively.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

this may be the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard i bet you no coach or player on that team is thinking this ever
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #19
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Our fans need to come to grips with the fact that we just aren't that talented this season defensively.
What does this have to do with benching Dylan?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #20
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Aww the day after a loss on CT. It is not the end of the world, or the season yet.