CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingofnerf
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
Gamecocks1137
Sandstorm29
Absfract
MWard
SwampFox
COCKYWOOD
Jim Lahey
Wilds & Carson B (2357)
Marquavius Lewis (2019)
So, why is next year (1927)
How Long Will The Re (1270)
Restaurant musts in (963)
Why do so many of yo (761)
Shot in the arm for (698)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (642)
Custom Jersey (279)
Abu Bowl Ready (188)
2015 Signee - Ulric Jones
So, why is next year goin
Why do so many of you guy
2015 - Mark Fields
Marquavius Lewis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Custom Jersey
UF lets Durkin go
2015 Commitment - Dante S
5 Gourmet Foods That Used

Old 09-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material
Default Why didn't Wes Green play against A&M?

Lim Jahey! Pleased to meet you, bud!
Jim Lahey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why didn't Wes Green play against A&M?

Wanted to redshirt but is playing against ECU, according to TBS. Which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt against that offense. It's that bad.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
garnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPit

excuse me WHO SAID he wanted to RS? the player or the coaching staff? don't believe he makes that decision.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn View Post
excuse me WHO SAID he wanted to RS? the player or the coaching staff? don't believe he makes that decision.
Sometimes the player does input. David Williams was approached last year and told the coaches he wanted to keep the red shirt
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
A player can make the decision of what he WANTS to do, pretty much any minute of any day in the week....he probably thinks there's too much depth at CB at the moment. Not saying the depth is experienced, proven depth, but in terms of youth. He came into the program with 3 other CBs and probably wants to get some separation in order to have better field opportunities...

I imagine Jamari's injury pretty much wrote the book on any of the freshmen CBs red-shirting...but it could still happen if any of the other CBs step up and establish themselves. Green has the first 4 games of the season to play and then can still redshirt this season if he suffers an "injury".....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

We need him. I know DJ Smith is suppose to RS, which sucks. Need the depth.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

garnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPit

I can want to be the president , doesn't mean I have the say so. My point is BG215 stated that TBS said he didn't want to play against A&M b/c of the offense they run. I find that statement DAMN hard to believe and buy. If you are a DIV1 football player you either wanna' play football or not. Input or not from player I don't think the player can selectively determine when he will be ok to lose his RS for what specific game without the blessings from the position coach and HBC.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I can want to be the president , doesn't mean I have the say so. My point is BG215 stated that TBS said he didn't want to play against A&M b/c of the offense they run. I find that statement DAMN hard to believe and buy. If you are a DIV1 football player you either wanna' play football or not. Input or not from player I don't think the player can selectively determine when he will be ok to lose his RS for what specific game without the blessings from the position coach and HBC.
Where in the HELL did I say that?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

He never said anything about a&m.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

"which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt against that offense. It's that bad". SO all that info was a direct quote from TBS? So TBS was discussing a&M offense or ECU offense which is a similar set?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
"which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt against that offense. That's bad". SO all that info was a direct quote from TBS?
No, that was MY quote. How you came to the conclusion that he didn't want to play against A&M because of their offense is something I would really really like to know.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

the OP asked about W. Green playing against A&M, the response you sent from reading TBS stated WG wanted to rs but will apparently be available to play against ECU. Your comment stated he wanted to RS instead of playing against that offense . We have played one offense so far this year and ECU runs an air raid /spread offensive style, much in the vain of A&M. Guess I was confused by your comment if not quoted from TBS. Either way you feel that's a bad idea. Apology for assuming the discussion info you sent was your quote about the TBS info regarding ECU and NOT A&M . Not the same offenses but quite similar . either way looks like RS is off W. Green
Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
No, that was MY quote. How you came to the conclusion that he didn't want to play against A&M because of their offense is something I would really really like to know.
The part about "wanting to red shirt against that offense" can be understood as "he saw the offense and decided to red shirt". That was my initial interpretation of your statement...I figured someone needed their assets cut ;).

Makes more sense of course that he wanted to red shirt for the season but we needed him to play. Simple misinterpretation is all...
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
"which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt against that offense. It's that bad". SO all that info was a direct quote from TBS? So TBS was discussing a&M offense or ECU offense which is a similar set?

I took it to mean:

"which means we're playing a guy who wanted to redshirt [break] against that offense (ECU's offense). It's that bad"

He didn't say that Green didn't want to play against TAMU's offense....he said that we're possibly going to play a green (no pun intended) CB - who wanted to redshirt - against a potent ECU offense. The reasons why Green wants to RS may have absolutely nothing to do with either TAMU's or ECU's offense. At least that's how I took it.....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

He's the highest rated, 4 star CB we signed last year and he wants to redshirt? During his recruitment, were we not telling him we need him to come in and play from day one?

Lim Jahey! Pleased to meet you, bud!
Jim Lahey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #16
USC843
Recruit

Male

USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

I dont really understand wanting to redshirt. That means he fully plans on being here for 5 years. That rarely happens, especially for someone who has talent like him.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #17
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
He's the highest rated, 4 star CB we signed last year and he wants to redshirt? During his recruitment, were we not telling him we need him to come in and play from day one?
Could have had something to do with getting in later than expected. Just speculation on my part though.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #18
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
here's the quote from TM:

"Many South Carolina fans have wondered why cornerback Wesley Green didn't dress for the season opener against Texas A&M. According to sources Green had expressed a desire to redshirt this season and the staff was trying to accommodate him. However, in light of how the secondary performed, Green is expected to play this weekend and the rest of the season."

Green has a ton of talent but hadn't picked up the defense as quickly as he would have liked.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 AM   #19
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

admirable of the staff to give it a shot but we need all hands on deck in the secondary right now

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #20
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

SO the 2 guys we were most stoked about DJ Smith and Wes Green both were going to RS? I just don't get it they should not have let Wes attempt to we need him badly and we did before that disaster of a game who thought we would be fine? I do admit it is admirable for the coaches that they tried to please him and give him what he wants but we just aren't deep enough for a decision like that.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote