CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Lonnie
Gamecocks321
doubledribble
GarnetSwarm1990
ReadR00ster
johnnyb
Cocks N Stuff
So Disappointed With (2174)
Rank the QBs under S (1532)
Back like cooked cra (1118)
Tennessee game (700)
Who start on the d l (669)
No Comments on the H (533)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (198)
Gameday parking in A (134)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Roll call for Auburn
So Disappointed With The
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Gamecock football Long Te
If the Head Ball Coach re
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #1
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material
Default So Disappointed With The Coaching Staff

First off, Mods don't delete this thread. I'm just a fan who's sharing his thoughts. Let a message board be a message board.

Anyways, I was just sitting here thinking, "How in the world are these schools like TCU, Baylor, and Kansas St playing so well when they don't recruit all that well?"

Here are five schools that are currently in the top 12 who are playing excellent football that don't recruit all that great along with their last three recruiting class rankings (Source Rivals).

Kansas St - (#47) (#66) (#59)
Baylor - (#35) (#31) (#45)
TCU - (#50) (#30) (#37)
Miss St - (#37) (#26) (#30)
Michigan St - (#22) (#40) (#41)

Now here's South Carolina's....

South Carolina - (#19) (#16) (#16)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you serious? Only one school out of that group in the last three years has finished with a top 25 recruiting class and that was Michigan St. All five of those schools are in the playoff hunt and one is currently the #1 team in the country. While we're sitting here at 4-3 and considered one of the worst teams in the SEC, despite finishing with a top 20 recruiting class the last three years. And it's not like the teams we've lost to were good teams. They were bad to average teams.

Is the coaching staff that bad at evaluating talent? Why can't we find diamonds in the rough like all these other schools? I'm not belittling the players we have now, but many are not playing as well as we thought they would considering how high some were coming out of high school.

Thoughts? I'll hang up and listen.
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #2
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: So Disappointed With The Coaching Staff

This crap again?

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #3
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDF DUST View Post
Welll.. they play weak teams and, our current defensive coaching staff are below average.
what? Miss State?

TCU just beat Oklahoma.

K state had Auburn beat but blew it.

All of those teams would beat us.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #4
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Really? How much difference do you think is between a 16th ranked team and a 26th or 30th?

I'll tell you. About that much.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #5
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDF DUST View Post
Welll.. they play weak teams and, our current defensive coaching staff are below average.
Miss St beat, at the time, a top 10 LSU team on the road, a top 10 A&M team, and beat a top 5 Auburn team

TCU beat a top 5 Oklahoma team and destroyed a top 15 Oklahoma St team

Baylor beat a top 10 TCU team

Kansas St nearly beat a top 5 Auburn team and beat the #11 ranked Sooners on the road

Michigan St is the only team without any signature wins.

These schools coaching staffs know how to evulate talent and coach up players. They make 2 and 3* recruits play like 4 and 5* recruits.
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM   #6
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
Really? How much difference do you think is between a 16th ranked team and a 26th or 30th?

I'll tell you. About that much.
I'm assuming you're talking about Miss St. It doesn't if you think there isn't much of a difference between a 16th ranked class and the 30th ranked class. They're sitting at 6-0, wins over two top 10 teams and one top 5 team, and currently the #1 team in the country with playoffs on their mind.

We're sitting here just hoping to get a bowl. Evidently, there is some difference.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #7
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 919723021
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
First off, Mods don't delete this thread. I'm just a fan who's sharing his thoughts. Let a message board be a message board.
Just a word of advice...... probable not the best way to start a thread.....

Just sayin.......

This year we have lost the close games, while we one most of them the past years........

Realistically, we are 3-4 players away from a top 20 team...... but I digress, I believe we have beat the living shit out of that dead horse!!!!
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #8
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Chris Clark had an EXCELLENT commentary last week that went very in depth into the factors that USC is having to deal with this year, specifically on the defensive line.

It was not a bunch of excuses- as he said within the same commentary that player can still play better, coaches can still coach better, but ultimately- we've had the perfect storm of players leaving early when they shouldnt have, injuries, recruits not making the grade, and reduced scholarship numbers that have just all come up and bit us in the same year.

Everyone wants to simply blame the coaches- but if you're talking about the defensive line, what exactly are you expecting Coach Deke to have done differently? He's only really had one recruiting cycle in his current position.

He's having to make do with two converted linebackers, one of which only very recently converted and has missed a LOT of PT due to injury (Harris, Cooper) and a slew of other factors that have hit in this one season.

The inability of our fanbase to be honest and objective in their evaluation of the talent we have on the defensive line this year is downright pathetic. To only look at recruiting ranking numbers is the approach of a simpleton. But, maybe thats what our fanbase is.
A. Pilgrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #9
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Anyways, I was just sitting here thinking, "How in the world are these schools like TCU, Baylor, and Kansas St playing so well when they don't recruit all that well?"

Here are five schools that are currently in the top 12 who are playing excellent football that don't recruit all that great along with their last three recruiting class rankings (Source Rivals).

TCU - (#50) (#30) (#37)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you serious? Only one school out of that group in the last three years has finished with a top 25 recruiting class and that was Michigan St. All five of those schools are in the playoff hunt and one is currently the #1 team in the country. While we're sitting here at 4-3 and considered one of the worst teams in the SEC, despite finishing with a top 20 recruiting class the last three years. And it's not like the teams we've lost to were good teams. They were bad to average teams.

Is the coaching staff that bad at evaluating talent? Why can't we find diamonds in the rough like all these other schools? I'm not belittling the players we have now, but many are not playing as well as we thought they would considering how high some were coming out of high school.

Here is some food for thought. None of the 5 teams you mentioned play in the SEC.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM   #10
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

miss st does

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #11
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
miss st does
Haha my eyes totally glanced over that one. Ok, but in seriousness when mentioning Miss St, they found a gem QB in Dak Prescott, who will probably win the Heisman, and their Defense is top notch. That is about all you need.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #12
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

I am too but will wait until after the season to see what the HBC does....if anything.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #13
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Here is some food for thought. None of the 5 teams you mentioned play in the SEC.
You do know Miss St means Mississippi St, right? But for argument sake's I'll take out Miss St and replace them with Arizona, who's ranked #15 right now and who beat #2 Oregon on the road. Arizona's recruiting classes for the last three years, #28, #37, & #46. Arizona's schedule isn't a cake walk.

People need to get off the mindset that only SEC teams play hard schedules. All of the teams I mentioned, excluding Miss St, play tough schedules but manage to win big games despite their mediocre recruiting classes. South Carolina would lose to everyone one of those schools. Baylor would have us beat by the 1st quarter.
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #14
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Haha my eyes totally glanced over that one. Ok, but in seriousness when mentioning Miss St, they found a gem QB in Dak Prescott, who will probably win the Heisman, and their Defense is top notch. That is about all you need.
But that's the point I'm trying to make, how do they keep finding those gem's? Some of their top play makers (Dak Prescott, Josh Robinson, Preston Smith) all were low 3* recruits coming out of high school.
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #15
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
But that's the point I'm trying to make, how do they keep finding those gem's? Some of their top play makers (Dak Prescott, Josh Robinson, Preston Smith) all were low 3* recruits coming out of high school.
Well we recruit regularly the 3*s, just have yet to find that gem. (Heisman wise) It took Miss St. forever to finally find theirs, not like they have been pulling in Clowneys, Lattimore's and Gilmore's for years.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #16
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Chris Clark had an EXCELLENT commentary last week that went very in depth into the factors that USC is having to deal with this year, specifically on the defensive line.

It was not a bunch of excuses- as he said within the same commentary that player can still play better, coaches can still coach better, but ultimately- we've had the perfect storm of players leaving early when they shouldnt have, injuries, recruits not making the grade, and reduced scholarship numbers that have just all come up and bit us in the same year.

Everyone wants to simply blame the coaches- but if you're talking about the defensive line, what exactly are you expecting Coach Deke to have done differently? He's only really had one recruiting cycle in his current position.

He's having to make do with two converted linebackers, one of which only very recently converted and has missed a LOT of PT due to injury (Harris, Cooper) and a slew of other factors that have hit in this one season.

The inability of our fanbase to be honest and objective in their evaluation of the talent we have on the defensive line this year is downright pathetic. To only look at recruiting ranking numbers is the approach of a simpleton. But, maybe thats what our fanbase is.
This, also look at where we finished in the final rankings compared to those schools the last 3 years. Just a perfect shit storm this year
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #17
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:

TCU - (#50) (#30) (#37)

How many college football teams are there nowadays?

How did those teams all do the last three or for years in terms of wins and losses versus great teams compared to how South Carolina's record during that stretch?

What were their rankings to end the season the last four years?

How many of their players are playing on nfl rosters versus our guys?

Lastly,
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #18
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Lastly how are teams with comparable recruiting rankings the past three or four cycles doing?

I think these are important additional question to consider
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #19
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Check this out about Miss St regarding their starters on both offense and defense compared to ours.

Offense:

4* Players on offense - 1
3* Players on offense - 7
2* Players on offense - 2

and one walk-on. (This is their starting rotation)

Defense:

4* Players on offense - 2
3* Players on offense - 9

Our starting rotation:

Offense:

4* Players on offense - 5
3* Players on offense - 4

Defense

4* Players on offense - 4
3* Players on offense - 6
2* Players on offense - 1
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #20
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Check this out about Miss St regarding their starters on both offense and defense compared to ours.

Offense:

4* Players on offense - 1
3* Players on offense - 7

and one walk-on. (This is their starting rotation)

Defense:

4* Players on offense - 2
3* Players on offense - 9

Our starting rotation:

Offense:

4* Players on offense - 5
3* Players on offense - 4

Defense

4* Players on offense - 4
3* Players on offense - 6
2* Players on offense - 1

They also only finished ranked in the top 25 once in the last three years...and that was 20th in 2011. USC finished 12th, 9th, and 4th in those years.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote