CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
Sandstorm29
aftertwobowls
Cocks N Stuff
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
cockybreeyan
rioninusc
The Vent and Coachin (9223)
2015 schedule is bru (2969)
UF lets Durkin go (2389)
The U ends apparel d (962)
Marquavius Lewis (552)
Keeping it all in pe (503)
Wilds & Carson B (501)
Brad Lawing USC / Fl (303)
2015 - Jeremiah Dins (256)
S & F article on (234)
2015 - Ulric Jones
**USC Women vs. Savannah
Marquavius Lewis
The Vent and Coaching cha
2015 - Mark Fields
The U ends apparel deal w
2015 schedule is brutal
How Long Will The Rebuild
Restaurant musts in NYC
Bo Pelini headed to Young

Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 10200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree
Default How do you prep your bird?

This year I am doing cajun smoked turkey. Pretty simple, mixing up some butter and Tony Cachere's. Rubbing inside the skin and out. Charcoal smoker with a mix of apple wood and charred oak bourbon barrel.

This is my first year smoking a turkey. I'm thinking of letting it go at 250-275 for about 4 hours on the smoker, then roasting in the oven with a cover the rest of the way. This is best way I can think to make sure I don't dry the limbs of the turkey and still capture the smoke flavor.

Curious, how are CTers prepping their turkeys?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: How do you prep your bird?

The way we have done it the past couple of years is in an infrared cooker. It takes about 2.5 hours for it to cook and it comes out nice and juicy. As far as seasoning goes, I am not sure what will be used this year but I like the idea of the cajun spices you are using. A smoked turkey sounds delicious, let us know how it turns out.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
The way we have done it the past couple of years is in an infrared cooker. It takes about 2.5 hours for it to cook and it comes out nice and juicy. As far as seasoning goes, I am not sure what will be used this year but I like the idea of the cajun spices you are using. A smoked turkey sounds delicious, let us know how it turns out.
I've heard good things about those infrared cookers.

I usually brine my turkey and fry it. However, this year it is a small group some I'm doing stuffed quail instead of turkey.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 1000001001
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

We've been using a simple procedure that we saw Alton Brown do on FoodNetwork several years ago. Prep a piece of foil to go over the main body (not the wings) but leave it off initially. Cook at 500* (!!!!!) for 30 minutes, then back 'er down to 350*, put the foil on, and cook until the internal temp is 161* (guess that extra degree is important; we never dared ask). Comes out awesomely moist & juicy

OK actually Cocky might not approve, but still...
Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
I've heard good things about those infrared cookers.

I usually brine my turkey and fry it. However, this year it is a small group some I'm doing stuffed quail instead of turkey.
I guess my parents saw a demonstration at Costco and tried the turkey and loved it. My dad bought it and we have used it for two years now. It is very low maintenance to cook and clean up and has yielded good results for us.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
bgallup
Blue Chip

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 2nd place 
CockyCash: 6230
bgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPitbgallup rules the CockPit
Send a message via Yahoo to bgallup

I have used the infrared the last several years and love it. Same results as frying one without the messy clean up. Only downfall is the time it takes to cook one. I will brine mine this year for the first time. We also rub it down with Tony's Chachere's spice before cooking.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I don't have enough people any more to cook a big bird. When I do I brine, smoke at 230-240, then hot roast in the oven. Baste with butter during the roast to crispthe skin. Cover legs and such with foil as needed.

Haven't really decided yet for this year. I take one of the kids to brunch on Wednesday, Marie and I hit a brunch on Thursday, and I will cook the traditional meal on Friday. Being a day late does not bother me. Maybe a turkey breast. Maybe a duck. Maybe a pheasant, who knows. Maybe I'll just do a ham instead. Hopefully I will be able to spend some time late Wednesday and early Thursday helping cook at a shelter here.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote