CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyDevil
MDrock
cockytoo001
b381l
OriginalGamecock
qcgamecock
ShutTheSuccop
3MTA3
cocky0
I Bleed Garnet
Preseason top 25 pol (1904)
Most important posit (1082)
UFC 190: Ronda Rouse (530)
Tennessee signee mus (464)
Gamecock Tweeters (376)
Toure Boyd (312)
Drive cross-country (299)
How many seasons was (260)
Skai Moore wants to KO Ma
5 stars
Work around the stadium
Toure Boyd
Preseason top 25 polls re
Most important position i
Gamecock Tweeters
Spurrier/Media Golf Outin
2016 - Kyle Davis
Premier League 2015-2016

Old 10-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000001000008651
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Anyone have a recipe I can steal for

Great potato soup. Preferably like a baked potato soup. I ate at Wild Wing Cafe for years, and loved their potato soup. I have tried everything and cannot get anything decently close to it. Would appreciate any recipes. Some I found are absolutely horrible after being refridgerated, others are just plain thick as glue the next day. Just looking for a great potato soup recipe, with the use of bacon, cheese and sour cream. Maybe not in the recipe itself, but you get the idea.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
johnnyb
Banneded

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Anyone have a recipe I can steal for

Not really potato soup, but I have made something recently that IMO turned out well

Ingredients
1.5 lbs of boneless/skinless chicken, I brown it in a pan before putting in the crock (I've been using breasts because they were in the freezer, but dark meat would prob be better, more flavor)

.5-.75 lb of thick sliced bacon, cooked not quite crispy

6-8 med-lg white potatos, peeled and sliced or diced (doesnt really matter as they will end up cooking apart as long as they are cut small enough)

2 cans of campbells cream of chicken soup (could likely substitute cream of mushroom for one can to change it up a little)

1-2 large Carrots sliced thin

1 med mild onion (sliced and cooked in the left over bacon grease)

4 bullion cubes

pinch of salt

black pepper to taste

after preparing the ingredients as above, put all ingredients into crock pot on low, add enough water so all ingredients are covered and forget about it for 6 hours or so, then go back and stir it until all potatos are broken up and cooked apart.

works wonderfully with a thick crusty italian or french bread to sop in it

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.

Last edited by johnnyb; 10-30-2014 at 03:50 AM..
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Not really potato soup, but I have made something recently that IMO turned out well

Ingredients
1.5 lbs of boneless/skinless chicken, I brown it in a pan before putting in the crock (I've been using breasts because they were in the freezer, but dark meat would prob be better, more flavor)

6-8 med-lg white potatos, peeled and sliced or diced (doesnt really matter as they will end up cooking apart as long as they are cut small enough)

2 cans of campbells cream of chicken soup (could likely substitute cream of mushroom for one can to change it up a little)

4 bullion cubes

after preparing the ingredients as above, put all ingredients into crock pot on low and forget about it for 6 hours or so, then go back and stir it until all potatos are broken up and cooked apart.

Are those cubes chicken or beef?
Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #4
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

And I am officially starving. I will have to try this tomorrow, just want to know which bullion cubes to use.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
johnnyb
Banneded

Male

johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

sorry just saw your question, the first time I used chicken, the second I used 2 of each, it only changes the flavor mildly, I have been using about 3 lbs of chicken, which is way too much, which is why I am saying half of that, also the reason I am suggesting dark meat instead of white like I have been using is the breast meat tends to get a little dry and flavorless.

I also added a little salt and pepper to taste to the pot

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I had some small purple potatoes last month that I used in a potato and corn chowder. Turned ut great. I added bacon to it as well. You can use any kind of taters. Just google "corn, potato, bacon chowder" and you will find a dozen or so recipes.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
wildtexcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 1000600
wildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot materialwildtexcock is USC mascot material

Well, her is my recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Soup:

6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1 large onion, chopped
1 qt chicken broth
3 cloves garlic,minced
1/4 cup butter
2-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
3 Tbsp chopped chives
1 cup sour cream
8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
cheese for sprinkling

Combine the first 7 ingredients in large crock pot, cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (until potatoes are tender).

Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened. Stir in cream, cheese, and chives.

Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.

*I like to eat my soup from bread bowls from Panera Bread.*
wildtexcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
jrussjr
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 2323490
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtexcock View Post
Well, her is my recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Soup:

6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes

1 large onion, chopped

1 qt chicken broth

3 cloves garlic,minced

1/4 cup butter

2-1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar

3 Tbsp chopped chives

1 cup sour cream

8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

cheese for sprinkling

Combine the first 7 ingredients in large crock pot, cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (until potatoes are tender).

Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened. Stir in cream, cheese, and chives.

Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.

*I like to eat my soup from bread bowls from Panera Bread.*

Tex, you got me hungry for some taters n it's only just after 9am! Gonna try this over the weekend! Thanks for posting and thanks to 1137 for creating this thread!! Now I gotta go get a biscuit n coffee!

GO COCKS!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post

Ingredients

4 bullion cubes

pinch of salt

black pepper to taste

after preparing the ingredients as above, put all ingredients into crock pot on low, add enough water so all ingredients are covered and forget about it for 6 hours or so, then go back and stir it until all potatos are broken up and cooked apart.

I tried your recipe this evening for dinner, the family loved it!!!! I substituted one can of the cream of chicken for mushroom though, it was delicious. As for the bread, I tried a crusted thick cheesy garlic bread, it did the job.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
johnnyb
Banneded

Male

Glad you enjoyed it