CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
KaneisAble
doubledribble
PageUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
thumpin big
b381l
TheUSCMike
kingofnerf
Busta out indefinite (1882)
SOS says his next st (1593)
Our Road Upset Wins (1474)
CBSSports SEC predic (755)
No easy road for our (625)
Roll call for Auburn (542)
Our Defense? (522)
University of Buffal (480)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (269)
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
2015 Commitment - Davon D
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Why is everyone anticipat
Holiday desserts
To ANYONE complaining abo
Our Defense?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default SOS: No QB controversy

Not sure how there could be a controversy since we haven't seen anything from any of the backups, but SOS made no bones about who our best QB is: "If he (Dylan) throws five straight interceptions, he is going to stay in the game."

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/stor...-usc/15776191/

The flip side of this, however: how bad are our backups???
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: SOS: No QB controversy

I don't think it is necessarily how bad our backups are...more of a case they may not be ready to run the offense.

Mitch and Orth are just in their second years of the program...Scarnecchia isn't near ready and Nosovitch I still don't think will be here after this season.

But yeah, not sure how this question even came up.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
Not sure how there could be a controversy since we haven't seen anything from any of the backups, but SOS made no bones about who our best QB is: "If he (Dylan) throws five straight interceptions, he is going to stay in the game."

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/stor...-usc/15776191/

The flip side of this, however: how bad are our backups???
First, I would almost be willing to bet Spurrier would backpedal faster than Deion Sanders if Thompson were to throw 5 straight interceptions, depending on the circumstances surrounding how the picks happened. Second, if 5 consecutive interceptions were to come from Thompson because of something Thompson did (barring fluke plays like all of them coming by deflecting off the intended receivers' hands) and Spurrier did leave him in, it would be the first time I would ever sincerely believe Spurrier should be fired, because that would demonstrate Spurrier would have clearly gone insane. That said, it does kind of make you wonder what's going on with the backups to cause Spurrier even to say such a thing.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

I think it is confidence for the starter, I'm sure SOS hears and occasionally reads the idiotic opinions of a portion of our fan base that IMO is still caught up in the Shaw v Thompson from last year and just do not like Thompson, so out of habit from last year they continue to bash our starter despite his play and call for another QB.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
l^l^lBGCock
4-Star

Male

l^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
First, I would almost be willing to bet Spurrier would backpedal faster than Deion Sanders if Thompson were to throw 5 straight interceptions, depending on the circumstances surrounding how the picks happened. Second, if 5 consecutive interceptions were to come from Thompson because of something Thompson did (barring fluke plays like all of them coming by deflecting off the intended receivers' hands) and Spurrier did leave him in, it would be the first time I would ever sincerely believe Spurrier should be fired, because that would demonstrate Spurrier would have clearly gone insane. That said, it does kind of make you wonder what's going on with the backups to cause Spurrier even to say such a thing.
I doubt anything. It's just youth and not enough time in the system.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

Hopefully, we will not have to find out.
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Halltj2
Gamecock

Male

Halltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot materialHalltj2 is USC mascot material

Probably planning to get some playing time for the backups this weekend and didn't want to hear it Sunday.
Halltj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 28459
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltj2 View Post
Probably planning to get some playing time for the backups this weekend and didn't want to hear it Sunday.
BINGO!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10258
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Bc at that point Thompson would just be handing the ball off to either Wilds or Davis.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
If Dylan threw 5 straight int. Pharaoh would be in the wildcat.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
If Dylan threw 5 straight int. Pharaoh would be in the wildcat.
I absolutely agree. No matter the reason, 5 straight interceptions would mean something was terribly wrong in the passing game, so why not run the wildcat right down the other team's throat?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
G&B
purple nurple

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Tangent...

Since Nosovitch is "athletic and we need to find a way to get him on the field" was an SOS comment when the transfer talk was buzzing about.

yet, he hasn't sniffed the field. I'll bet he transfers out...unless HBC told him he was in the penalty box for a few games due to his insolence.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
cockyguitar
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudlycockyguitar is crowing loudly

I think Spurrier was basically saying Dylan isn't going to throw 5 INTs. In other words, Dylan is the QB and will be the QB.
cockyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
"If he (Dylan) throws five straight interceptions, he is going to stay in the game."

Well heres another quote from Spurrier "If a player isn't playing very well, as a coach you have an obligation to the rest of the team to put the next guy in there and see how he'll perform"

I'm honestly surprised to hear Spurrier say that. If Thompson throws 3+ INTS in a game and Spurrier doesn't give the next guy a chance.. we're all going to be wondering what's going on in his head because it wouldn't make a lick of sense. I do think Spurrier respects that Thompson waited his turn for so long, kept a positive attitude and improved as a QB. For that maybe he's giving him a little cushion. After all Thompson is packing pretty much his whole career into this one season.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
Tangent...

Since Nosovitch is "athletic and we need to find a way to get him on the field" was an SOS comment when the transfer talk was buzzing about.

yet, he hasn't sniffed the field. I'll bet he transfers out...unless HBC told him he was in the penalty box for a few games due to his insolence.
We really haven't had a game where a backup qb could play yet, unless you want to count the A&M game from about halfway through the third, though I'm not sure when the staff threw in the towel on that one.

Nosovitch is definitely athletic, but we have a lot of athletic bodies at positions he could play. Hard to see where he might contribute a lot. The tight end thing puzzle me, because I'm pretty sure Anderson and Adams are faster, probably Crosby, maybe August too. Drew Owens is probably pretty close to his 40 time as well.

And all those guys are a lot bigger than he is. Not to mention working at the position full time.

Can't see a spot for him at wr or rb either. Probably a lot of schools outside the SEC and he would have a chance at playing time at those positions, but not here.

Then too, qb is his best position. At least qb in an offense that incorporates the qb running heavily, and not the minor amount we use it.

I think he would have been better served to transfer in my opinion. He won't get on the field, and I can't see him beating out the other guys we have at some other positions. So since he won't be helping us on the field, it seems a no brainer for him to transfer.

Maybe he will have his degree this fall, and he can use that graduate student rule to go somewhere where they could use his talents. Boston College, Wisconsin even.

But if he stays here, he won't see the field much and in another year posters on this board will say "I will be surprised if Nosovitch comes back for another year," or "his scholarship may not be renewed."

Whereas if he played in another offense he might have some wonderful memories for the rest of his life.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltj2 View Post
Bingo. Winner. Points on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
"If a player isn't playing very well, as a coach you have an obligation to the rest of the team to put the next guy in there and see how he'll perform"
You have to focus more on the point that SOS is making at the time and not the hyperbole he is using to make it. Point is, DT is the guy this season. But we all know his history with QBs and the quote above (that was my first thought too, thanks for posting it so I could quote it and not have to type it).

My thoughts are that SOS is hoping to get some backups, some young'uns, some PT this weekend and doesn't want to be bothered with speculation crap post game.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

If any of our QB's throws 5 INT's it becomes a Spurrier problem because he's calling plays. It becomes an even bigger Spurrier problem if he doesn't give the next guy a chance. I think he was exaggerating a bit, but it shows the confidence he has in Thompson no doubt.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #18
Gamecock Billy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 600
Gamecock Billy is sharpening his clawsGamecock Billy is sharpening his clawsGamecock Billy is sharpening his clawsGamecock Billy is sharpening his clawsGamecock Billy is sharpening his claws
Send a message via Yahoo to Gamecock Billy

I think u guys are missing the point.
Or your just going out of the way to avoid it.
Connor Mitch hasn't lived up to the hype !
It's early but imho he will be closer to a bust than a stud !
Hope I'm wrong but time will tell !
Gamecock Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Billy View Post
I think u guys are missing the point.
Or your just going out of the way to avoid it.
Connor Mitch hasn't lived up to the hype !
It's early but imho he will be closer to a bust than a stud !
Hope I'm wrong but time will tell !
Serously? Connor Mitch has never played a snap in a college game yet, so how can you judge if he is a bust or not?

On top of that, anyone hear what Busta Anderson had to say about last year? He referred to it like the tight ends were ignored, not sure exactly what he meant with what he said, but he didn't sound too pleased when referring to last year.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #20
Gamecock Billy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 600
Gamecock Billy is sharpening his clawsGamecock Billy is sharpening his clawsGamecock Billy is sharpening his clawsGamecock Billy is sharpening his clawsGamecock Billy is sharpening his claws
Send a message via Yahoo to Gamecock Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Serously? Connor Mitch has never played a snap in a college game yet, so how can you judge if he is a bust or not?
I understand its way to early to throw the word bust out but,
You had guys posting here like this guy is going to be the second coming of Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.
He has a weak arm and is a system QB
I'll be pulling for him as hard as anyone but film doesn't lie !
Gamecock Billy is offline   Reply With Quote