CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GamecockSuperFan
cocks are us
Ericvol2096
robgusc76
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
A. Pilgrim
jellafever
johnnyb
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2350)
Jimbo Fisher Blames (998)
Ole Miss Fan's Milk- (879)
Herbstreit on " (859)
Little know stat (We (829)
SEC QB's in the Red (821)
Gamecockology Helms (792)
2013 Georgia vs. 201 (663)
Gif Sharing Time!!!! (459)
Where do you like to (379)
Where do you like to sit
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING
Little know stat (Week 10
Herbstreit on "SEC B
Sports no longer fun?
Tennessee - South Carolin
SEC QB's in the Red Zone
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default The Bridge (TV Series)

Has anyone else given this show a try?

If not, I highly recommend you give it a look. Diane Kruger, Ted Levine, and Matthew Lillard are the recognizable stars on the show but there are very solid performances from some lesser know actors. Also - one of the writers worked on Homeland.

In a summertime of crap dramas (Newsroom, True Blood, The Killing) this is a refreshing addition and a must watch.

Thoughts from anyone who has watched the 1st 3 episodes?
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Wingman
Gamecock baseball fan

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPit
Default Re: The Bridge (TV Series)

Good show!

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
bertoholic
THAT Damn Good

Male

CockyCash: 14152650
bertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot material

I tried it and couldn't get into it for some reason. It just never held my attention.

If you don't know now you know....
bertoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Mr. Wednesday
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudlyMr. Wednesday is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Has anyone else given this show a try?

If not, I highly recommend you give it a look. Diane Kruger, Ted Levine, and Matthew Lillard are the recognizable stars on the show but there are very solid performances from some lesser know actors. Also - one of the writers worked on Homeland.

In a summertime of crap dramas (Newsroom, True Blood, The Killing) this is a refreshing addition and a must watch.

Thoughts from anyone who has watched the 1st 3 episodes?
Season 1 of the Killing was good, season 2...not so much.
But season 3 has been VERY good. Many of the 'critics' agree.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Season 1 of the Killing was good, season 2...not so much.
But season 3 has been VERY good. Many of the 'critics' agree.
Yeah I see that Sepinwall is liking it this season. He gave Kittermsn rave reviews for the most recent episode. I watched 1st 2 seasons but am done. Too gray and blah for me.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

I've also added Orange is the new Black to my viewing schedule. It's really good and will pass the time til breaking bad.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i like it so far. the female detective is an odd character. i wonder if shes supposed to have some sort of condition, or she just has no social skills. seems to be at least one awkward she has to be an alien or robot moment per episode.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i like it so far. the female detective is an odd character. i wonder if shes supposed to have some sort of condition, or she just has no social skills. seems to be at least one awkward she has to be an alien or robot moment per episode.
She has aspergers.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Having lived in El Paso for a short spell, I really want to check this one out.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

what channel does it come on?

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
what channel does it come on?
Fx

Wednesday at 10.

It's on demand as well
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Very good series and getting better each episode. Ted Levine is great in it.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

I watched one episode and it was slow going, has it gotten a lot better? What would you compare it to?
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Yeah, since this thread was started, I've watched the first four episodes on line and caught the fifth on FX last Wednesday. Definitely worth the time invested in watching. In a former life, my employer at the time had a site in El Paso and also Juarez, and I traveled a good bit to El Paso -- and I remember one year in February reading in the El Paso newspaper, that Juarez already had 280 missing girls for the calendar year. So this issue has been going on for a long time.

I know in one of the posts above, gamecockphan diagnosed Sonja Cross as having Aspergers. Was that actually mentioned in one of the episodes, or is that just a guess based upon her social awkwardness -- definitely seems to be a clinical issue, just wondering is Aspergers had been confirmed?
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
I watched one episode and it was slow going, has it gotten a lot better? What would you compare it to?
I think that it has been compared a lot to The Following on Fox, primarily because the subject matter is similar, revolving around a serial killer. I haven't watched the Following, so I can't confirm. The first thing that came to my mind was Damages with Glenn Close, because like Damages, it really is one primary story covered over however many episodes are in it's season. But it is definitely a lot more gritty than Damages, and there are some very interesting characters in the show.
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
I think that it has been compared a lot to The Following on Fox, primarily because the subject matter is similar, revolving around a serial killer. I haven't watched the Following, so I can't confirm. The first thing that came to my mind was Damages with Glenn Close, because like Damages, it really is one primary story covered over however many episodes are in it's season. But it is definitely a lot more gritty than Damages, and there are some very interesting characters in the show.

While I have not watched The Following, I have read and heard TV critics say this about the Bridge and Hanibal since both are about serial killers. Only difference is that it seems from the reviewers that The Following is a really bad show while Hanibal and The Bridge are awesome. The Bridge has Seven quality to it. The killer is trying to make a statement and is taunting the police while doing his killing.

I just watched the most recent show and it is definitely getting more and more interesting as things are uncovered and begin to unfold.

That was a very tense scene last night whe Marco visited Linder's apartment. I alomst expected the pimp to wake up and attack Linder while he was speaking to Marco through the cracked door.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

I really enjoy episodes like last night where the world of the show becomes more interconected.

We find out that Hank was the investigator on Sonya's sister's case and that Hank is the reason that Dobbs now baiscally has the mental capacity of a 4 yr old.

We also discover that Marco and Galvan's fathers started the drug business together but that Marco decided to take a different path. We also find out that Marco was the investigator on the body house where Galvan's brother was discovered.

Lastly, There is the interaction b/t Galvan, Charlotte, and Ray. Galvan is using the tunnel for his own purposes - running drugs, but things are about to get interesting since Ray is now try open up his own oppoeration but has unknowingly brought the ATF into the situation.

Thoughts from anyone else?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

yeah she definitely has aspergers like gamecockphan mentioned, diane kruger and the producers have said as much. i think their plan is to make it important part of her character, but not beat the audience over the head every episode that "she's weird" ala monk though obviously the tone of the two shows are much different.

i initially thought linder's personality was just an act, but its become clear over the last 2 or 3 episodes that its not. i thought the killer upped the stakes at the end of the episode, didnt seem like it was necessary other than to screw with sonya and the police.

i cant imagine the scene with gus texting "zina" isnt relevant. i dont recall her being introduced before though i may have forgotten.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
yeah she definitely has aspergers like gamecockphan mentioned, diane kruger and the producers have said as much. i think their plan is to make it important part of her character, but not beat the audience over the head every episode that "she's weird" ala monk though obviously the tone of the two shows are much different.

i initially thought linder's personality was just an act, but its become clear over the last 2 or 3 episodes that its not. i thought the killer upped the stakes at the end of the episode, didnt seem like it was necessary other than to screw with sonya and the police.

i cant imagine the scene with gus texting "zina" isnt relevant. i dont recall her being introduced before though i may have forgotten.
I was wonder who zina was as well. I'm sure it will have some type of significance later on.

I read a review to day that made a good point and might be why I likethe show so much...

The show has a central storyline about the killer which keeps the netowrk executives happy that there is a mystery to be solved. However the real story is about the lives of the characters who inhabit Juarez and El Paso. I find the personal stuff more interesting than the police work. In this way, the show is smiliar to The Wire, that it is a story about a city or in this case 2 cities.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Well I certainly did not see that twist coming.

While I liked the steps they took to piece the killer’s identity together, it seems a little forced or rushed.

It also kind of threw me off how the motive switched from a somewhat political statement to a personal vendetta against Marco. Maybe the show will reveal more info as to why Gedman, the shrink, the judge, etc had to die. Are we to assume that Tate is killing all of the girls in Juarez as well? Is Tate a revenge killer who has gone off the deep end and started killing girls just for fun?

Interested to see what happens next, but for now the show has taken a strange turn in plot and reasoning that might ruin it for me in the end.

Anyone else with me on the new turn of events?