CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
SMOTFS86
Cockypantherfan
gamecockphan
taylorssc
U-Dub Gamecock
CoverTwo
l^l^lBGCock
b381l
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4058)
USC/clemson spread (1758)
In case no one saw.. (1413)
Bowl projections (1135)
Odell Becham Catch (697)
Why has there been 4 (675)
A little late to the (670)
Tiger Burn (508)
2010 Clemson-Carolin (363)
Texas A&M Defens (359)
Texans getting frustrated
Why has there been 40 yea
Odell Becham Catch
No excuse for the D this
Bowl projections
Charlotte Hornet Basketba
The Defense
Props to Volleyball!
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Spurrier Dabo Meme

View Poll Results: How much longer will Spurrier stay
After this season 6 9.68%
2 seasons 9 14.52%
3 seasons 9 14.52%
3+ seasons 38 61.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #21
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Playing Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
At least 3, Spurrier told Mitch he would be here until he graduated.
This was my argument but think of this scenario. We start losing games to the teams I mentioned (UGA, UT, Florida, Auburn) and start seeing more of Connor Mitch in games. The following season goes just as poorly with Mitch at QB (5 losses or so) Then what?
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #22
18IsTheMan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs

We lost one game to an outstanding team. I don't think that's enough to drive SOS to retirement,
18IsTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #23
kingofnerf
Blue Chip

Male

kingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurskingofnerf has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
Spurrier knows this is a rebuilding year.
+1

Disappointment is proportional to the level of expectations when things don't work out.

No one picked Auburn to be in the NC game last year.

Mizzou, A&M, Clemson, and Alabama are all playing with new QBs starting in the place of successful veterans this season.

You watched the HBC film but didn't see, heard it but didn't listen.

HBC takes things that other coaches would freak out about with a grain of salt that comes from years of coaching. He cares but he just doesn't let it eat him up.

Who would have picked us to compete for the NC in 1984 after the dismal season before it?

We will do better than people expect this season because of HBC's knowledge of the game and even temperament.

We should vent our frustrations, but we should also get away from the "somebody tracked dirt on the white carpet" mentality and have a little faith in the coaches and team.

HBC will be here for as long as he can handle it.
kingofnerf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #24
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

I think hbc is here until he leaves
Old 09-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #25
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
We lost one game to an outstanding team. I don't think that's enough to drive SOS to retirement,
1 game isn't what we're talking about.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #26
2010Redbirds
You best believe

Male

CockyCash: 9976675
2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs

devils advocate sucks.. lets play hungry hungry hippo...
Old 09-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #27
Clowneygotcha
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Clowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot materialClowneygotcha is USC mascot material

Russian Roulette is my game. Lets see, Carolina wins this weekend, or doesn't. I'll hold the gun.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #28
Cocked & Locked
Banned

Male

Cocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock View Post
Everyone on here seems to know someone who know's Coach. Even if you friend is an acquaintance do you really think Spurrier just goes around to every person he talks to and tells them how long he will stay? I believe the only people who might know is his immediate family and thats if Spurrier has a set time frame. I believe its exactly what he has said here and every other Coaching job, he wants to leave on his own terms and if we have two or so bad years in a row he will leave on his own.
I actually do know the family fairly well and Jerri will tell you that Steve has not given her a time frame of when he plans on retiring. She says he's happy doing what he's doing and she's happy that he's happy and having her family (except 1 daughter) in Cola.
Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #29
Dietz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
Dietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot material

This MAY be a down year, however, I feel we are in a period of our best football, the best this program has known. It's difficult to reel in Lattimores and Clowneys every year, but a team can compete with a large quantity of really good players as much as it can one great player in the midst of many average ones. Next years class seems to have A LOT of really good players in it. I think we will be back and stronger than ever. This years just getting started, and I am still optimistic....maybe a touch delusional, but still optimistic!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #30
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock View Post
Everyone on here seems to know someone who know's Coach. Even if you friend is an acquaintance do you really think Spurrier just goes around to every person he talks to and tells them how long he will stay? I believe the only people who might know is his immediate family and thats if Spurrier has a set time frame. I believe its exactly what he has said here and every other Coaching job, he wants to leave on his own terms and if we have two or so bad years in a row he will leave on his own.
I said " He seems to think Spurrier will only coach here 1-2 more years. "
Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #31
Cocked & Locked
Banned

Male

Cocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudlyCocked & Locked is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
I said " He seems to think Spurrier will only coach here 1-2 more years. "
You know I'm not sure that HBC even knows how long he will coach. He has always said he would stop when it's not fun anymore or when he feels like playing more golf. Right now he loves how his coaching career has been going here.
Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #32
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

I think he wants to leave on a high note. He's too competitive to walk away after failing to meet expectations.

And, just so we are clear, SOS's expectations are just as high -- if not higher -- than ours. He was pi**ed after last week and you could see a renewed determination. I think that will translate into a better on-the-field product this week.

Whether or not that will be enough for a win this week is another matter. But I do think this team will get better as the season progresses.

ďOf course, itís a bit of a jump, isnít it? I mean, erÖ chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You donít think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
cocknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #33
cockysousa
Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
cockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudlycockysousa is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
He coached at Florida for 12 seasons. For some reason, I don't think he'll go longer than that here.
But who's to say he wouldn't have stayed at Florida longer if he hadn't won 5 SEC Championships and a National Championship. He left to go coach in the NFL (theoretically for a "better job"). He and his wife will decide, when it's the best time for them, for him to retire. Anything anybody guesses is just that: a guess.