CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
A. Pilgrim
Gamecocks1137
gadeneer1986
Order 66
gamecockgal
DTGCOCKS#32
eightohhthree
markp_vip
B-G
ESPN reporter adding (4755)
How we won the UGA g (1701)
In light of our matc (1672)
Just read this. (1452)
uniforms saturday (1179)
Neat statistic bruhh (989)
If we keep winning a (803)
Vandy Fans (798)
Clemson requires sex (559)
Women of the SEC Ran (421)
ESPN reporter adding to t
CockyTalk Football Pickem
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Winston
Terry Googer - new Wildca
Kansas to invest $75 mill
Greg Hardy deactivated by
uniforms saturday
How we won the UGA game:
Terrible Officiating.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Exclamation Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M

Thursday was a tough pill to swallow. It was a pill that Gamecock fans used to be used to, but past decade/4 years has spoiled us into believing we weren't that team anymore. In College Football, on any given Saturday, a team can get a butt whooping ... we got a butt whooping.

Through all the frustrations and disappointments, there were still a few good showings Thursday night. Unfortunately, I don't feel that any of them deserve any recognition. Win or lose, I always try to find a shinning star, but unless I pick 1 catch or tackle on 1 play, it'd really be pointless.

Instead, I'll comment on a few observations that I made while at the game. I haven't watched a replay or even seen the coach's show (dvr didn't record for some reason), so if I'm off on something ... get over it.

Offensive line got punched in the mouth, and really didn't man up after it. We had some pretty good pass blocking, but the run blocking was not very good. What was supposed to be our strong point for the season looks very questionable. We won't win a lot of games if we can't open any more holes than we did. From what I recall, we had 1 run over 10 yards ... if there were more, there wasn't many more.

Thompson was a question mark for me all off-season. Even in his best games, he will float a pass here and there that could be extremely costly. There were a few passes that were wide open receivers that landed 10 yards behind them. I know I was always on Shaw because I didn't feel like he took enough chances in the passing game, but when he threw the ball he was on point.

The defense was flat out terrible, we all know that. I'm a fan of the game, I never was big enough to play any after Pee Wee, so I really don't know the in depth x's and o's ... HOWEVER, I do know that you can't bring 3 guys against 5-6 (if HB stays in to block) AND leave your DBs nearly 10 yards off the receivers. I've looked and looked, but can't seem to find the numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that 75% of their passes were screens/quick slants, and the same percentage if not more of their passing yards were yards after the catch. Nothing against Kenny Hill, but I (literally) could have completed those passes and had a great game against our Defense. We made it easy for him. If you're not going to pressure the QB, you have to pressure the receivers. I mean you can't let the QB sit back there for 4-5 seconds and let the receivers go wherever they want. I know our DBs are young and still learning, I'm not mad that they gave up a bazillion yards. I'm mad that our coaching staff made ZERO adjustments. There's not a single thing that I can look at and say "he changed this up for the 2nd half." A&M surely didn't change anything and they continued to march straight down the field. We should have AT LEAST pulled the DBs up and said "ok, beat us over the top." Hats off to A&M, they took what we gave them ... we gave them the easiest game they'll play all year.

Special Teams is still an absolute joke. On one kick off we had 3 guys RUNNING BACKWARDS to try to catch up with the coverage team. It looked like A&M had 14 guys on the field and 3 of them were wearing garnet. We don't have to return every kickoff for a TD, but we can't even get to the 20 ... which leads me to ... LEAVE THE BALL IN THE ENDZONE. If you catch the ball 1 inch inside the endzone ... take a knee. Since they brought the touchback out to the 25, I'd be willing to bet that we've returned less than 25% to the 25. Take a dang knee and give our Offense a fighting chance. Getting tackled on a 15 doesn't do anybody any good.

Ok, moving to a little more positive note. The receivers had a pretty good game. Would have put us in a really good position and given us a ton of momentum going into the locker room if Jones could have pulled in that pass late in the 2nd quarter. Other than that, the whole receiving core (tight ends included) played really good games. If Thompson got it anywhere near them, they caught it most the time. You could clearly see the frustration of Busta on a few plays that Thompson would sail the ball or that he'd make a cut and get open and not be seen.

A lot to work on if we're going to get this ship back pointed towards Atlanta. I think we have the coaches and players to do that, but a lot of work.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Latti2001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spursLatti2001 has earned his spurs
Default Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M

Did anyone notice what appeared to be Thompson blaming Busta for the over throws? Busta looked ticked off, and it looked like Thompson was pointing fingers. If so, I'm disappointed in the leadership.
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

So was there a person(s) who stood out to deserve the toast?
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

nick jones should get it

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

CockyCash: 200
PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material

I think that Dylan is a fine young man.

Last edited by PyroPepper; 09-02-2014 at 05:01 PM.
PyroPepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I thought that our kicking was better than in past years.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I would give it to Brandon Wilds. He averaged 5.0 per carry, and made some courageous runs with very little blocking. He showed a lot of heart. My runner up is Adams. For the same reason ... heart.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
drumboy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
drumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spurs

Spurrier gave Thompson and Jones game balls and called them the Players of the Game. Maybe you didn't see the hits Thompson was taking. He was hit hard several times. There has to be better pass protection to improve his decision making and passing. I would imagine it's hard to look spectacular when you're running for your life. He had 366 yards, 4 TDs, and 1 interception. Had the defense played, those are winning numbers. Had the O line blocked for the running game, Thompson wouldn't have had to pass all the time. To put it in perspective, Thompson put up the fourth highest offensive numbers in the SEC last week. He threw enough yards in that game to tie USC's 9th all time historical record.

Jones dropped a TD pass that would have given us more momentum. Jones himself said the drop was his fault. I agree that Jones did well, and I thought Brandon Wilds looked good when he had the chance.

Several passes were a little high but went right through the receivers' hands. It's SEC ball. They should have had those passes.

It's a little early to throw Thompson under the bus when he actually kept us alive. Some of you are OK with Jones dropping a TD pass, but want to crucify Thompson for his mistakes (and he did make some). We've won plenty of games with uglier offense than was played Thursday night. We did that because our defense was spectacular. The QB hasn't had to carry the whole load for the past three years.

Our players did not attack each other. I don't know what you thought you saw, and I'm sure there was some frustration, but nobody called anyone else out. Thompson, particularly, would not have done that to a teammate. Watch his interview after the game. He didn't blame anyone but himself.

Last edited by drumboy; 09-02-2014 at 01:30 PM.
drumboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
moving to a little more positive note. The receivers had a pretty good game. Would have put us in a really good position and given us a ton of momentum going into the locker room if Jones could have pulled in that pass late in the 2nd quarter. Other than that, the whole receiving core (tight ends included) played really good games.
I disagree. I saw multiple dropped passes and piss poor blocking downfield. I think they were below average.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
ABATTBQ11
Recruit

Male

ABATTBQ11 is learning to peckABATTBQ11 is learning to peck
Thumbs up Re: Cack's Toast of the Game: Texas A&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I would give it to Brandon Wilds. He averaged 5.0 per carry, and made some courageous runs with very little blocking. He showed a lot of heart. My runner up is Adams. For the same reason ... heart.
Wilds did really well. I was impressed with him.
ABATTBQ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latti2001 View Post
Did anyone notice what appeared to be Thompson blaming Busta for the over throws? Busta looked ticked off, and it looked like Thompson was pointing fingers. If so, I'm disappointed in the leadership.
I saw one throw where it seemed that DT thought he should've been further out, in which case the throw should've been on point. No telling who was right and who was wrong, since I don't have the playbook in front of me. You can't put it on DT or on RA imo without the full story.

Good wrap up of a bad situation Cack. At this point we've just gotta hope we get better. Regarding QB, it seems DT is still head and shoulders above Orth and Mitch for whatever reason. If we see one of those two, we're either ahead by a lot or something really bad happened to DT.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
roosterdave
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 553
roosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

I thought I saw that, but who knows what was being said. In any case, How do you over throw a 6-6 tight end. The guy can reach 10 ft in the air without jumping.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
USC843
Recruit

Male

USC843 has feathers coming inUSC843 has feathers coming in

Mich will be the starter by the end of the year. Bank on it.
USC843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

I thought Tyler Hull had a heck of a game.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
drumboy
Walk On

Male

drumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spursdrumboy has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC843 View Post
Mich will be the starter by the end of the year. Bank on it.
Now this is interesting. Think this through. If Thompson is no longer the starter, there's absolutely no reason for him to stay on the team. He's already graduated, and being backup to Connor Mitch would do nothing for his career. He could get a job and get on with his life instead of working himself to death for nothing, because at this point, the scholarship is not an incentive for him to stay. So - you'd rather have an unproven freshman QB who's never thrown a snap of SEC football backed up by an inexperienced walk-on.

I'm actually smiling. That's the funniest thing I've read since the game. For better or worse, unless he's injured, Thompson will almost certainly remain the starter.
drumboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
ABATTBQ11
Recruit

Male

ABATTBQ11 is learning to peckABATTBQ11 is learning to peck

Quote:
ABATTBQ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #17
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABATTBQ11 View Post
uuhh this was last year... and those are away jerseys...
Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #18
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
uuhh this was last year... and those are away jerseys...
AND it wasn't Thompson being upset at all. He and Marcus both said it was simply Thompson being fired up after a good play.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I'd give the toast to Byrd. Or may be to the fans, because we need a drink after that game.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
Wagz
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Wagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervousWagz is making other chickens nervous

I said the same thing over and over and over, if you can't pressure the QB, you better pressure the receivers, I'd they beat you over the top, so be it. Don't let them dink and dunk you all night....not one adjustment was ever made. Corners were lining up 10-12 yards off the receiver
Wagz is offline   Reply With Quote