CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Support > Hall of Fame

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
The Yancey
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
Decommitment from Te (1137)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (876)
Cleveland Browns Hea (722)
Garcia and Clemsux T (702)
Four USC Basketball (370)
Need a dog kennel (310)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (242)
Bowl packages (206)
Former Gamecock root (200)
5 apps to turn your (200)
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Former Gamecock rooting f
The Vent and Coaching cha
QB Next Season?
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
looks like we have 2 OL r
The U ends apparel deal w
So, why is next year goin
Duck Bowl Depth Chart

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
smtrgmcock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1200
smtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his clawssmtrgmcock is sharpening his claws
Default USC catacombs

Anyone know anything or ever been down in the catacombs under USC?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material
Default Re: USC catacombs

I have a friend that said he's been in them, I guess I believe him. I've read some stuff, you know, three eyed guy stories and what not. I'd love to check them out one day.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
IHateOrange
I really hate clemson

Male

CockyCash: 490
IHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot materialIHateOrange is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to IHateOrange

where is this? I wanna go!

TATER HATER 4 LIFE!

Memo to Lane Kiffin: Seven Gamecocks were selected in the 2009 NFL Draft, delaying any possible careers at the gas station.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

This has been addressed on every Gamecock site that I have ever been a member of. The stories are true, these catacombs do exist. They are tunnels that link various venues of government and parts of the USC campus allowing undetected and protected transportation between them. I have read of them going back to the War Between The States. The 3-eyed man that hangs out at the Longstreet Theatre is supposed to reside there. It has played roles in various frat initiations in the past. There are various entry points...a good person to get talking about this is the poster known as teddykohncock. TKC isn't online nearly as much as he was 5 years ago, but, he surfaced this week online, so he is still out there. He has some really good stories about these that I would not do justice in retelling.

But, they are real...people walk above them every day on campus and throughout Cola without having any clue of their existence. Probe a little and you'll be amazed!!!
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Cool read if interested. I don't believe in Mr. 3rd Eye, but the tunnels are definately there. .

Quote:
The Third Eye Man
Quote:

The "Third Eye Man" was first spotted on November 12, 1949, on the campus of the University of South Carolina. According to school records, a strange man dressed in bright silver was sighted opening "a manhole cover on the corner of Sumter and Green Streets, directly opposite of the historic Longstreet Theatre." At 10:43 p.m., two male students watched as this man entered the sewer portal, and diligently pulled the manhole cover into its proper position. One of the students, Christopher Nichols (class of 1953), wrote for the Gamecock and immediately spread the news of this "Sewer man" -- as he was called in the article. After a few weeks, any interest in the "sewer man" died down.

Almost six months later, on April 7, 1950, this "sewer man" was spotted again. A university police officer on patrol came across two mutilated chickens behind Longstreet Theatre. Feathers and chicken parts were strewed all over the loading dock of Longstreet. Believing that this mess was left by fraternity students or some other pranksters, the officer walked back to his car to report the scene. After calling into the station, the officer returned to the loading dock only to discover a silver man huddled over the chicken pieces. Immediately, the officer turned his flashlight on this man who looked up at the cop. In the beam of the light, the officer could make out a very disturbing face, grotesque in color and shape, and in the middle of this man's forehead, a third eye! It wasn't a large eye, but nevertheless, there was a third eye starring back at the cop! The policeman retreated from the scene and called in back-ups. When other officers arrived on the scene, there was nothing left on the loading dock except a few scattered feathers and bones. Of course, the cop who witnessed this "third eye man" was in hysterics, and was never able to convince the other officers of what he saw.

In the late 1960's, the "catacombs" or underground tunnels at the University, were a favorite place for students. These tunnels connect most of the University. One night in early October, a group of fraternity guys decided to take three pledges down to the tunnels for a challenge. Entering the tunnels from the basement of Gambrell, the group of guys headed west towards the horseshoe. As they rounded the first corner, they were met by a "crippled looking man dressed all in silver" (according to police reports). This bizarre looking man charged at the students with a lead pipe, and suddenly the frat boys realized that this was no prank. One of the pledges, Matthew Tabor, was knocked to the ground by the creature, and suffered "minor cuts and minor shock." Two of the older boys immediately went to the police department, and that evening, the first "third eye man-hunt" took place. After hours of searching the tunnels, the police came up with nothing. However, they did take precautions by sealing off most of the entrances to the catacombs, and by declaring the tunnels off-limit to any person, student, or faculty member.

According to one of the maintenance men who still works at the University today, "we don't use the tunnels unless it is absolutely necessary." There have been several sightings in the late 80's and early 90's, though most were dismissed by the University Police force. Those who are adventurous enough to climb down into the tunnels risk being suspended from school. Students WILL find a way into the catacombs from time to time, but there is always the possibility that they will come face-to-face with the ominous third eye man.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
palmettogirlusc
Resident Fashion Expert

Female

Avatar: Award given for the best avatar - Given for: having the best avatar of 2005 
CockyCash: 99987
palmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot material

one of my friends said he went down there this year...i think it was last semester....i told him i hated him b/c i wanted to go. however he said it was pretty cool down there.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Mecklenburg Cock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 400
Mecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPit

I don't know if the thread still exist but I believe Gamecock History posted a few stories he had about the tunnels. It's been a few years and at one point I had the stories saved on my computer, but when it crashed I had to replace the computer and lost the story.

Thinking of which, it's be cool to see The History Channel's "Cities of the Underworld" show do a segment on Columbia's tunnels.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
TaterHater1984
The Original Tater Hater

Male

CockyCash: 100000
TaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to TaterHater1984

I've wanted to go down there so bad. Kindof afraid of getting into trouble though. haha.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

CockyCash: 10000322
GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GotSpurrier82

They do exist. When I went to orientation, the "Welcome Committee" got drunk the night before and went down there, and they got in huge trouble.

On another ghost note, Wade Hampton and his horse supposedly appear somewhere on Bull Street late at night. I didn't know that until after I moved but I'd like to check that out too.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
TaterHater1984
The Original Tater Hater

Male

TaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettogirlusc
one of my friends said he went down there this year...i think it was last semester....i told him i hated him b/c i wanted to go. however he said it was pretty cool down there.
How did he get down there? I know about the Gambrell entrace like stated above. I don't know of any others though.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecklenburg Cock
I don't know if the thread still exist but I believe Gamecock History posted a few stories he had about the tunnels. It's been a few years and at one point I had the stories saved on my computer, but when it crashed I had to replace the computer and lost the story.

Thinking of which, it's be cool to see The History Channel's "Cities of the Underworld" show do a segment on Columbia's tunnels.
Hee hee. I sent them a comment about it. E-mail address if you want to tell them about it also: thc.viewerrelations@aetv.com
Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
palmettogirlusc
Resident Fashion Expert

Female

Avatar: Award given for the best avatar - Given for: having the best avatar of 2005 
palmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot materialpalmettogirlusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterHater1984
How did he get down there? I know about the Gambrell entrace like stated above. I don't know of any others though.
there are vents that you can get down there through all over campus.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
TaterHater1984
The Original Tater Hater

Male

Yeah, forgot about that. There's one on the walkway to Capstone and Columbia right in front of Gambrell. Too out in the open though. haha.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSpurrier82
They do exist. When I went to orientation, the "Welcome Committee" got drunk the night before and went down there, and they got in huge trouble.

On another ghost note, Wade Hampton and his horse supposedly appear somewhere on Bull Street late at night. I didn't know that until after I moved but I'd like to check that out too.
We should go on a ghost hunt sometime...

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
palmettogirlusc
Resident Fashion Expert

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins
see thats something me and my roommate would LOVE to do. we're kinda obsessed with ghost hunters.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #16
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material

Quote:
see thats something me and my roommate would LOVE to do. we're kinda obsessed with ghost hunters.
makin' a trip to the upstate any time soon?

- Rick H-

Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
palmettogirlusc
Resident Fashion Expert

Female

haha i'm headin up on the 14th. she's not following tho.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
haha i'm headin up on the 14th. she's not following tho.
teehee...joking. Seriously, there are supposed to be a bunch of ghosts around here; Willie Earl, the pilot on 101 (?), Pickens County city hall, just off the top of my head.

- Rick H-

Old 04-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #19
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins
Let's do it! I haven't done that since I was 19. Good times.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #20
Dr. Cock
Banned

Male

Dr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot materialDr. Cock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Cock

Never been down there, but I'd totally be up for it. It would be a lot of fun. I will say I went to the old "Columbia Down Under" area (Some of you older posters may be able to shed some more light about it) beneath the Arcade Building about 2 years ago. Back in the 1970's, it use to house a bunch of bars and restraunts, but now it's abandoned and the only people that are rumored to be there are herion addicts. I didn't see anyone, but the place was really cool. There was a eerie aura being down there, however. Here are some pics I dug up:

Closed Thread