CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
cockfight21
Ericvol2096
ChickenButt
gadeneer1986
Cockypantherfan
gamecockgal
10-2 (2399)
Build a New Stadium (1555)
Four UK Players Susp (1502)
Connor Shaw's fault. (888)
Cleaned up version: (874)
Nosovitch (689)
This program has no (583)
400 pasing yards (554)
Defer Or Not? (533)
Remaining schedules (457)
QB Recruiting Strategy
Maty Mauk tries to take o
What fish do you eat
Four UK Players Suspended
Build a New Stadium
Cleaned up version: SEC E
2015 - Darian Roseboro
Thoughts on Shawn Elliott
400 pasing yards
KY Suspends 4 Players for

Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #21
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 3rd Place 
CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPit
Default Re: Football 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSpurrier82 View Post
Rushing yards? How do you rush? When I think rush, I think in a hurry. LOL.

Rushing yards are the yards gained from running the ball. Example: Garcia rushed the ball 18 times Saturday night for 86 yards. This means that he ran the ball 18 times and gain a total of 86 yards on those runs.
Gamecock Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #22
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

CockyCash: 10000322
GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GotSpurrier82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Scott View Post
Rushing yards are the yards gained from running the ball. Example: Garcia rushed the ball 18 times Saturday night for 86 yards. This means that he ran the ball 18 times and gain a total of 86 yards on those runs.
Ah-ha. Thank you very much.

Keep these questions coming! You might ask one someone else is too embarrased to ask and will help them out.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
TheJasn
Blue Falcon

Male

CockyCash: 333
TheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spurs

ok, so what is the deal with needing 7 men on the line of scrimmage, why does it matter if there are only 6 or whatever?

Army Soldier

TheJasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #24
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJasn View Post
ok, so what is the deal with needing 7 men on the line of scrimmage, why does it matter if there are only 6 or whatever?
That is just the rule. 7 on four off. Two of the folks on the line are eligible recievers and all off the line are eligible.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #25
Gamecock_girl_west
1st Team All-SEC

Female

Gamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot material

How come.... If a punter punts the ball through the uprights it does not count as a field goal? Is it the placement thing? Always wondered that.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #26
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_girl_west View Post
How come.... If a punter punts the ball through the uprights it does not count as a field goal? Is it the placement thing? Always wondered that.
You answered your own question. Ball has to be kicked off the ground. Now the hold is not necessary. A couple of years ago Flutie did what is called a dropkick field goal.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
Drunkeneskimofo
is awesome.

Male

Drunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Drunkeneskimofo

What is the difference between the A-11 and Emory and Henry formation and which were we using against Arkansas this weekend?

Clemson University... you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Drunkeneskimofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #28
TheJasn
Blue Falcon

Male

CockyCash: 333
TheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spursTheJasn has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkeneskimofo View Post
What is the difference between the A-11 and Emory and Henry formation and which were we using against Arkansas this weekend?
E/H: center and one tight end on either side with a tackle and tight end split out wide and a receiver behind the OT and TE on each side.

A-11: center with one tight end on either side with three receivers split wide on either side

With the A-11 everyone has the ability to be an eligible receiver on any given play. I dont think that is the case with the E/H.

Also, I have a question about the E/H. This may be stupid but I am gonna be ignorant for a second, does the QB have to be under center or can he be in the shotgun?

Army Soldier

TheJasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #29
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

CockyCash: 1025572
feisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to feisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
and blitz is when a linebacker, corner, or safety (sometimes all) main goal is to sack the QB ... they're trying to blitz the QB before he can throw the ball ...
That happened a lot at LSU. We had so many WR's open but the QB was sacked before he blinked. They just mowed over our offense.

feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #30
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 3rd Place 
Gamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJasn View Post
E/H: center and one tight end on either side with a tackle and tight end split out wide and a receiver behind the OT and TE on each side.

A-11: center with one tight end on either side with three receivers split wide on either side

With the A-11 everyone has the ability to be an eligible receiver on any given play. I dont think that is the case with the E/H.

Also, I have a question about the E/H. This may be stupid but I am gonna be ignorant for a second, does the QB have to be under center or can he be in the shotgun?
The A-11 can use any player on the offense as a receiver due to the fact that all players have elible receiver numbers. As the offense comes up to the line, there must be 7 on the line with the player on the 2 ends of the line eligible to receive a pass along with the backs in the backfield. In fact, the center could be eligible if noone was on the line on one side of him. The QB must be at least 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage for the formation to be legal. If he is in a normal shotgun formation (5 yards back), the formation is illegal.

The E&H is only a formation that is meant to make the defense REALLY think about who they need to cover.

ClemTech ran the E&H the first couple of years of Tammy's tenure.
Gamecock Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #31
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Good point scott.

I agree that the A-11 would not be a legal formation in College Football. There are specific rules for number assignments to the position you play at this level of play.
The basic rules still apply no matter what formation you run, You HAVE to have 7 men on the line of scrimmage, and only the two players outside the Tackle on the line, are eligable to receive a pass. . . . Now, you can run an unballanced line to confuse the defense, and line up two tackles to one side. This would then make the opposite Tackle eligable to receive a pass as long as none of the other receivers lined up outside him are on the line of scrimmage. (aka the TD from Garcia to Saunders in the Kentucky game, and the one the refs took away from us in the LSU game from Smelley to Sauders).

In the Emory and Henry, the two wide men (inside position in the three man formations on both sides) are actually tackles, and are not eligable to receive passes in that exact formation. . . . I think however, you'll see some variations of this (maybe this week) where the three men on one side are all on the line of scrimmage, and that would make all three lined up on the opposite side Eligable receivers. Or some combination of that, that would make th Guard (one of the three inside guys) eligable.

It can be done with a little manipulation, and enginuity. . . and Spurrier has that in TONS.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #32
Spurlock75
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 500
Spurlock75 has feathers coming inSpurlock75 has feathers coming inSpurlock75 has feathers coming in

Spurticus you are wonderful. I have a couple questions for you - 1) What exactly is a Nose Guard?, and 2) What exactly is a Safety? I know that they talk about them but I guess what I'm asking is what do they do that is specific to their positions only??
Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #33
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurlock75 View Post
Spurticus you are wonderful. I have a couple questions for you - 1) What exactly is a Nose Guard?, and 2) What exactly is a Safety? I know that they talk about them but I guess what I'm asking is what do they do that is specific to their positions only??
Thanks
A nose Guard is just what you call a Defensive Tackle when he slides over, and plays directly in front of the Center. Most teams play a four man front, and the Defensive Tackles most of the time will play across from each of the offensive guards. . . . Now in a three man front, or a five man front, there's usually a nose guard on the center normally.

A safety is the defensive backs that are usually the faster guys on in the backfield. They are responsible for the deep areas in a zone defense, and one of them is usually the guy who takes the deep threat receiver man to man, and the other safety will be the player deepest in the backfield (Free Safety). . . He is usually the last line of pass defense, and his prime responsibilty is not to let any receiver going deep get behind him. . . . he's more like a center fielder in baseball. He reads the pass routes and if no one is going deep, he helps the Corners and or Cover safety double up the deepest receiver.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 AM   #34
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurlock75 View Post
Thanks

These two pictures will help you out some:
The red dots are all the defensive players. . . the "Front" is used to refer to the first line on the defense. The Tackles, and the Ends. This formation is a standard 4 man front. The second line on defense are the Linebackers. . .usually 3 or 4 according to the type of defense you're running. and the last line of defenders are the Backfield. These are your cornerbacks and safetys.
This fist picture is a standard 4-3 defense, meaning you have 4 front line, and three linebackers. You could run this same formation, and slide either one of the tackles over in front of the Center on Offense, and he'd be considered a "Nose Guard" or sometimes they call them "Nose Tackles"

This next picture is a 3-4 formation. Now you have a Nose Guard and two ends on the front, and four linebackers.

The Safetys you asked about are the players indicated with the "S" in the backfield. They sometime come up to the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped, but most of the time, they'll be the players lined up the deepest in the defensive formation.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #35
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

feisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot material

Ummm, I'm deleting my original post because I sound like an idiot.

Last edited by feisty; 11-20-2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: I sound very stupid
Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #36
DCGamecock5
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 126000149
DCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyminx View Post
OK, I have a kinda long winded question. If there are 11 players on both sides and someone like a speed receiver runs his route (sp?) downfield, and maybe a back does another route, then we have an even scrimmage (is that right)? What spreads are used to block the D. And who does it ...the backs?

Thank you in advance.
You're going to have to reword it. Are you asking if all recievers run a route who will pick up if the defense decides instead of covering one guy they will blitz one more player that the offense has blocking?

If thats what you're asking the RB will throw a slow down block which just knocks the guy off his blitz giving the QB more time. I hope this helps or if you think you can word it a little better I could try again.
DCGamecock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #37
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

CockyCash: 79300000
c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

This is a great thread... SOS said in the Kentucky post game press conf that he mentioned the cajun play to the refs before the game.

Is this normal for a coach to talk about specific plays with the refs?

Why this particular play?

What I make with my hands I give with my heart

RIP #11, Forever To Thee
c-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #38
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

I just want to understand who blocks and what are some of the formations used in different plays.

Last edited by feisty; 11-20-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #39
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-girl View Post
This is a great thread... SOS said in the Kentucky post game press conf that he mentioned the cajun play to the refs before the game.

Is this normal for a coach to talk about specific plays with the refs?

Why this particular play?
See that is what I mean, specific plays so I can have a clue what they are doing instead of just knowing the such and such did this and the such and such did that is the last play. I don't know what specific plays are used alot.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #40
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

CockyCash: 79300000
c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyminx View Post
See that is what I mean, specific plays so I can have a clue what they are doing instead of just knowing the such and such did this and the such and such did that is the last play. I don't know what specific plays are used alot.
I'm with feistyminx...

How about we start with a play (maybe one linked to youtube) and explain why the coverage was chosen and why it did or didn't work.

Thanks for you time with this....

What I make with my hands I give with my heart

RIP #11, Forever To Thee
c-girl is offline   Reply With Quote