CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
b381l
Acockolypse Now
WeStillOwnUSC
uscjeremynca
El Cid Ranger
Spurticus
auslander
GarnetSwarm1990
sporkgod50
PSU drops a prospect (2128)
Mizzou WR suspended (1049)
Blake McClain (802)
Best Offensive " (778)
What ever happened t (722)
Clemson, Auburn home (538)
Fall Camp. (475)
The Believer - Spurr (351)
Clowney's Madden Rat (211)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (201)
2016 - Mecole Hardman
2015 - Zack Bailey
Ranking the SEC Stadium A
2016 - B.J. Emmons
2017 - Jaden Hunter
Best Offensive "Trip
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
What ever happened to Phi
Re-Airing South Carolina
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #41
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

CockyCash: 1025572
feisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to feisty
Default Re: Football 101

I got some of my answers on, of all places Wikipedia. Now I know and understand who has what assignment for what play and what to watch for. Still didn't find the cajun though

feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #42
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

feisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot materialfeisty is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-girl View Post
I'm with feistyminx...

How about we start with a play (maybe one linked to youtube) and explain why the coverage was chosen and why it did or didn't work.

Thanks for you time with this....
Oooo great idea!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #43
mpilot0705
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 498700
mpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Quote:
Originally Posted by feistyminx View Post
See that is what I mean, specific plays so I can have a clue what they are doing instead of just knowing the such and such did this and the such and such did that is the last play. I don't know what specific plays are used alot.
Here is something I have been holding on too......I attached a PDF document that shows what the playbook looked like in 2000 at Florida. Check it out. If you look at it and know what all the players have to learn for every play it makes you realize what they are talking about when players do not get the offense....imagine having to know this thing in and out...

http://d.scribd.com/docs/p04pfdi7smspu7rtfy2.pdf
It takes a minute to load because it is around 4.5 mb....The best way I found to load it was actually to load it up by opening adobe reader then file>open>http://d.scribd.com/docs/p04pfdi7smspu7rtfy2.pdf

Quote:
This is a great thread... SOS said in the Kentucky post game press conf that he mentioned the cajun play to the refs before the game.

Is this normal for a coach to talk about specific plays with the refs?

Why this particular play?
A lot of times before games refs will meet with coaches and ask them about any plays they should be looking out for so that they know it is coming and do not stop play, wrongly penalize, or kill the momentum for throwing a flag for illegal procedure, ineligible receiver, etc.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #44
Gamecock Scott
Blue Chip

Male

2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 3rd Place 
CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPitGamecock Scott rules the CockPit

Quote:
This is a great thread... SOS said in the Kentucky post game press conf that he mentioned the cajun play to the refs before the game.

Is this normal for a coach to talk about specific plays with the refs?

Why this particular play?

To answer your question: Yes, it is normal for the coach to cover a particular play or formation with the officials before the game.

The officials normally take the field 30 minutes prior to kickoff. They meet with each head coach on the field to cover certain things. A coach may tell the officials about a play he is planning on running that may be a bit out of the ordinary. The head coach may have also noticed that the opposing team lines up in an illegal formation at times and may ask the officials to keep an eye out for that.
Gamecock Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #45
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

CockyCash: 79300000
c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

Wow - that is a lot of information. So how does that translate to the wrist band most QBs wear?

What I make with my hands I give with my heart

RIP #11, Forever To Thee
c-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #46
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wow - that is a lot of information. So how does that translate to the wrist band most QBs wear?

those dont really have plays on them...

there actually little TV screens and the coaches in the boxes have a live feed and they tell the QB the play... its pretty advanced stuff
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #47
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

What she said^

Last edited by feisty; 11-20-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: I'm and idiot
Old 11-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #48
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

It's difficult to get into specifics on every single play and tell you what such-and-such a player does, because some plays are designed for a specific purpose, and some are designed to get the defense to line up in a certain position, and then the offense has "options" during the play.

If the defense is in a zone, then you might have a two wide out set to one side of the field and both receivers run a specific route in order to pull the defenders out of a certain area, then you delay another receiver into that vacated area (usually a Tight End or a Running Back) on a delay type route.
Then there may be a play where a Coach sees a Defender constantly lining up on the WR's outside shoulder to defened the sidelines routes. . . in this case, the coach may call a very specific route like a quick slant to the inside of the field. . .this is a play basicall run between two people (the QB and the WR) everyone else just finds someone and hits them. On these type plays, there's no option. The receiver will run three or four steps straight downfield, and then slant to the inside toward the goalpost. . . .the QB throws the ball to a certain spot before the WR slants in, and the timing has to be so, that the ball and receiver meet in that spot at the same time. . . obviously, these specific plays take lots and lots of practice.

There's also plays like this for those who are blocking. If there's a trap play called, then certain linemen have specific men on the defensive line to block a certain way, so that the RB will have a lane (or open area to run through), other times when there is (say) a Sceen pass called, then there's really no one in particular that the linemen are supposed to block, they just head downfield once the back takes the pass, and then they hit the first guy they find downfield who isn't being blocked already.

Don't know if this clears up anything for you, but I'm thinking you were asking a question as to Who Blocks who on each play, or who covers who on each play
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #49
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post

there actually little TV screens and the coaches in the boxes have a live feed and they tell the QB the play... its pretty advanced stuff
Is that true...

Last edited by feisty; 11-20-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: I'm gulible
Old 11-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #50
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
Is that true? That is really cool.

....yes....
Old 11-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #51
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

Quote:

You bad, bad boy for posting that!

RIP #11, Forever To Thee
Old 11-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #52
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Quote:
You bad, bad boy for posting that!

whaaaaat? thats how i was told it works
Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #53
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
It's difficult to get into specifics on every single play and tell you what such-and-such a player does, because some plays are designed for a specific purpose, and some are designed to get the defense to line up in a certain position, and then the offense has "options" during the play.

If the defense is in a zone, then you might have a two wide out set to one side of the field and both receivers run a specific route in order to pull the defenders out of a certain area, then you delay another receiver into that vacated area (usually a Tight End or a Running Back) on a delay type route.
Then there may be a play where a Coach sees a Defender constantly lining up on the WR's outside shoulder to defened the sidelines routes. . . in this case, the coach may call a very specific route like a quick slant to the inside of the field. . .this is a play basicall run between two people (the QB and the WR) everyone else just finds someone and hits them. On these type plays, there's no option. The receiver will run three or four steps straight downfield, and then slant to the inside toward the goalpost. . . .the QB throws the ball to a certain spot before the WR slants in, and the timing has to be so, that the ball and receiver meet in that spot at the same time. . . obviously, these specific plays take lots and lots of practice.

There's also plays like this for those who are blocking. If there's a trap play called, then certain linemen have specific men on the defensive line to block a certain way, so that the RB will have a lane (or open area to run through), other times when there is (say) a Sceen pass called, then there's really no one in particular that the linemen are supposed to block, they just head downfield once the back takes the pass, and then they hit the first guy they find downfield who isn't being blocked already.

Don't know if this clears up anything for you, but I'm thinking you were asking a question as to Who Blocks who on each play, or who covers who on each play
Yes, that is what I was asking and I can see it now. TY

Spurticus, all knowing all answering.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #54
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

So if you are running a delay route wouldn't a LB or even a safety (since he will have the bigger view looking back at the line) pick that up pretty quick?

RIP #11, Forever To Thee
Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #55
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

Quote:
whaaaaat? thats how i was told it works
Aaaaah you're mean. Shouldn't tease me that way.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #56
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Actually, the wristbands do have play sheets on them, but they don't have the drawn out plays.
They have the name of the play and a number on them. The coaches will send in or signal in a number like a baseball coach, using signals only the QB and Skill position players know. Time to time the QB will need to look at the wrist band to see what play each number represents.

They never carry the full playbood on those bands either. There are a handfull of plays scripted each week and practiced in order to take advantage of what our opponents do on Defense. There is usually 2 or 3 plays for 1st and Long - 2 or 3 for 1st and short, 2 or 3 for 2nd and Long, 2-3 for second and short ect. . . .these coincide with those playsheets you always see the coaches holding in pictures.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #57
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Quote:
Aaaaah you're mean. Shouldn't tease me that way.

im sorry, but you were just so adorable
Old 11-20-2008, 12:57 AM   #58
feisty
Gamecock Fighting

Female

Quote:
im sorry, but you were just so adorable
Ya kill me

Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #59
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Quote:
Ya kill me

its what i do.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #60
DCGamecock5
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 126000149
DCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot materialDCGamecock5 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The wrist band has audibles on it whe I played our audbles were animals so like shotgun was called tiger...a run to the right was badger and the whole is a number to the right side its odd numbers 1 3 5 7.

So in my case it read

Tiger-Badger-5

The qb then knows to hand it off to the right and the running back knows which hole to try. Its hard but this is a basic version of what the wristbands are like.

Quote:
So if you are running a delay route wouldn't a LB or even a safety (since he will have the bigger view looking back at the line) pick that up pretty quick?
If you run it over and over yes but chances are unless the guy he is covering runs a delay he wont pay it much attention.
DCGamecock5 is offline   Reply With Quote