CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
GregoryHouse
zcoop
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
Badazcock
roosterdude21
Team Garcia
Blackland
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (23719)
ESPN Game Day Commen (1905)
Simple "yes&quo (1404)
Phil Steele just pre (1105)
Garcia: Change the R (669)
TeMarcus Blanton (658)
Anybody just have th (371)
Miss St vs. Kentucky (315)
Where in Seattle (225)
Instrumental Music ( (213)
Extremely Proud
Defense question
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
We actually didnt lose
Eat Crow
Nick Marshall
what I think ab ward
Good fight but
Anybody just have that &q
UFC 179: Jose Aldo vs Cha

Old 08-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
CackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot material
Default Funny Spurrier Quotes

When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question, "is Ray Goff still the head coach there?"

Insulted Florida State University as Free Shoes University (after a shoe store gave Florida State players free shoes).

Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee "You can't spell Citrus without UT" and former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning "I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP"

in reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC. Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying; "But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!"

Often referred to Georgia Head Coach Ray Goff as Ray Goof;

Imitated Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, sticking his finger into a camera and saying; "How y'all like my Kenny Rogers impression?"

When talking about recruiting at South Carolina, Spurrier mentioned that he signed a player from the state of Alabama, offering a comparison to his recruiting when at Florida, said; "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama"; But then he immediately added the punch: "Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours." (in reference to the University of Alabama recruiting violations in the early 2000s)

Responded to a question of;Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?; at a South Carolina alumni meeting with ; "The same way Vanderbilt did."

He is friggin hilarious.

CackDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

CackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot material
Default Re: Funny Spurrier Quotes

Not a Spurrierism but think it is a good Clem quote

Clemson recruit Ray Forsythe, who was ineligible as a freshman because of academic requirements: "I play football. I'm not trying to be a professor. The tests don't seem to make sense to me, measuring your brain on stuff I haven't been through in school."

Old 08-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

Lincoln Kennedy, Oakland Raiders tackle, on his decision not to vote: "I was going to write myself in, but I was afraid I'd get shot." (1996)

Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.' " (1991)

Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D: "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject." (1987)

Sorry I know these are off topic but thought they were funny as hell

Old 08-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Still think it was hiliarious when asked about Bobby Petrino, he said "yeah he enjoyed his NFL career as much as I did. At least I made it through an entire year."
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
atrain3067
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 825000
atrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to atrain3067

Probably been posted on here several times, but here is one of Spurrier's former players at UF telling some good stories.

Former UF Linebacker James Bates on Spurrier

Old 08-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain3067 View Post
Probably been posted on here several times, but here is one of Spurrier's former players at UF telling some good stories.

Former UF Linebacker James Bates on Spurrier

Love that video

Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

“I think they dislike Florida, to tell you the truth, a lot more than me .... A few fans might want to yell some insults at me which is fine. I've heard it all before. Hurl insults, just don't hurl bottles, and I'll be fine.”

Old 08-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

After being here, I can really appreciate how the Carolina people love football and love their team, ... They've paid their dues. I'm hoping they get a return real soon.”

Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

The very first scrimmage he held in 2005, (When The Streaker showed up), in a post practice interview, someone asked him what he thought about the "disruption" during practice. . . .Spurrier said "Yeah, we had a little excitment there. A streaker ran through. Looked fast too, But It's always been my opinion that women make the best streakers"

Old 08-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

When Spurrier went to the Redskins, he was asked if he thought it would be tougher than coaching college ball. He said "yes, because they're no Vanderbilts in the NFL".

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

1991 Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
atrain3067
Household Name

Male

atrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
The very first scrimmage he held in 2005, (When The Streaker showed up), in a post practice interview, someone asked him what he thought about the "disruption" during practice. . . .Spurrier said "Yeah, we had a little excitment there. A streaker ran through. Looked fast too, But It's always been my opinion that women make the best streakers"

Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #13
CockySpurrier85
Blue Chip

Male

CockySpurrier85 has earned his spursCockySpurrier85 has earned his spursCockySpurrier85 has earned his spursCockySpurrier85 has earned his spursCockySpurrier85 has earned his spursCockySpurrier85 has earned his spursCockySpurrier85 has earned his spurs
Send a message via AIM to CockySpurrier85

HAHA..I love this thread and I hope we give Spurrier a good reason to make some more jabs at the opponent this year.
CockySpurrier85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

"I'm not saying anybody broke any rules; I'm just saying there was a feeling of, well, those kids are driving awfully nice cars. How's it happen?" -- Steve Spurrier, in a 1995 Sports Illustrated article, one year after telling boosters that FSU stood for "Free Shoes University."

Old 08-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

"(Wuerffel) is a New Testament guy. You slap him upside the helmet, and he'll turn the other cheek and say, "Forgive them, Lord, for they know not what they do.' I'm a little more Old Testament. If you spear our guy in the earhole, I think we're supposed to be able to spear your guy in the earhole."
-- Spurrier, in alleging FSU was hitting quarterback Danny Wuerffel, days before defeating the Seminoles in the Sugar Bowl to win a national championship

"Their pass defense was No. 1 in the nation coming in, but it won't be going out."
-- Spurrier, after handing Mississippi State a 52-0 loss in September

"I wonder if (Bowden) instructs this type of action. I've had enough, and sometimes someone has to speak out. Everyone in college football knows this kind of crap should not happen. And it happens over and over when we play these guys ... We've got all the video on it. I'm not making this stuff up. So we'll let the proper people, hopefully, make the call on this. But we've sort of had enough down here." -- Spurrier, alleging that FSU's Darnell Dockett purposefully twisted the knee of tailback Earnest Graham in UF's 37-13 victory against Florida State and Bobby Bowden in November

Old 08-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #16
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

"This is our annual team picture."
-- Spurrier, talking to a photographer as his team posed in the Georgia Dome in December 1995 after winning the third of four consecutive SEC championships

"Only a mission finished to its end yields true glory. All of us Gators are now in our glory days." -- Spurrier, quoting Sir Walter Raleigh (well, the first part, anyway) at a pep rally attended by 65,000 fans in January 1997 to celebrate the Gators' national title.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

We've kind of turned Ohio State into Runner-up U., haven't we?" said Spurrier, a Gator alumnus.

http://dooley.gainesville.com/default.asp?item=553836

Old 08-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

Some of these are allready on here

Spurrierisms:

Spurrier brought his team back out onto North Carolina turf to take a picture of the scoreboard with his gloating Duke Blue Devils in the foreground. Mack Brown took it to the media saying that Spurrier had shown a real lack of class by doing that on someone else’s home field. Spurrier’s response when asked, “Why? I’ve got a better record on that field than he does”.

It’s not quite stand-up comedy. But the Spurrier way is to turn an ordinary question into an unexpected quip -- often on a subject unrelated to the original question.

ON CLEMSON: When asked about Kentucky, a rival in the SEC Eastern Division: “We thought we had done something good beating Clemson. And then Kentucky beat ‘em, and Clemson was a good team. At one point in the year they were a dang good team. I don’t know exactly what happened to them.”

ON FORMER NBA REFEREE FIXING GAMES: “I’ve probably been accused of saying something like that a couple of times. We’ll all have to be careful now.

ON THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HIMSELF AND NICK SABAN I didn't go to Alabama, I came to South Carolina, where they had never won a division or the SEC. ... He got a lot more money than I got, too.

ON RECEIVING EARLY COMMITMENTS FROM HIGH SCHOOL RECRUITS “It’s like a girlfriend. If she’s your girlfriend in the summer, she may not be your girlfriend in February.

ON MONITORING PLAYERS “Football players are busy (with) study halls and tutoring. Well, anyway, at South Carolina they are. I don’t know about all these other schools.”

After losing to Vandy in 07 with an offensive line that allowed 7 sacks and 5 false starts, Spurrier was asked what he was going to do now. "Well, we can't trade 'em. So I guess we have to coach 'em."

During the 2008 SEC Media days Spurrier was asked how he felt about coming up short on linebackers he had gone after: "It's sort a like going after girls. You do the best you can. You know that. (pointing at the journalists) You'd be surprised. Some of these guys actually have good-looking' wives."

While playing for the hapless 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Spurrier recalls a speech from Coach McKay:
"He was emphasizing that games were lost in the trenches by failing to block and tackle on the front lines. And as he was talking he noticed a lineman asleep in the back. He called his name, woke him up and asked, 'Where are most games lost?' And the lineman says, 'Right here in Tampa, sir!'"

Story from an airport passenger: “Spurrier was in town for the anniversary of his ACC championship at Duke and after the game he came straight to the airport. He ended up taking the bar stool next to me, ordered a beer and asked "What’s happened so far today?" At this point, my brain registered that the “Visored One” himself was trying to catch up on the scores, so we gave him a quick rundown. Auburn vs. Alabama was the main game on TV at the moment, and we spent the next two hours listening to him break down each of the plays on a level that I had never even considered. I learned more about football in that two hour period than I have in any other setting. Spurrier was basically what you'd expect - down to earth, friendly, and funny as hell. He signed some random autographs for people and was poking fun at the waitress for asking for his ID to drink. All in all, one of the more entertaining brushes with fame one can have. He refused to talk about where he was headed next, though at that point it was pretty obvious (South Carolina).”

When columnist Ron Morris of The State asked Spurrier if he had been asked for his input on an investigation, Spurrier let it loose, saying that he wasn't an investigator and probably would never be one. "I'm also not going to be at a fraternity house breaking up fights either.”

After handing Florida a loss in his first year at South Carolina: "They don't own our asses anymore," said Spurrier after the Crow Heard Around the World, South Carolina's 30-22 upset of UF. In the post game press conference, UF coach Urban Meyer declined to make an opening statement for the first time all season.

During the 07 loss to South Carolina, Georgia fans booed their players, then Spurrier as he was heading into the tunnel at halftime. He acknowledged them by waving. He later commented, “I’m getting an ovation. I didn’t realize I was that important to them.” Georgia’s QB, Stafford was buried in the third quarter on a fourth-and-2 play, a delayed play-action in which he played out the fake too long and got smacked by a blitzing Gamecock. Spurrier: “They tried that sleeper play. They tried that two years ago. It was funny. I think they might file that play.”

South Carolina had lost its top seven tacklers from 2005’s team, led by early NFL entrant Ko Simpson, who had 103 stops from his safety position. "Hopefully our safeties aren’t making all the tackles, " Spurrier said "I’m not sure our linebackers and linemen knew they were eligible to tackle."

In 1966, the Gators were in a tight game with Auburn. In the final minutes, Spurrier led the offense down the field into position for a field goal to win the game. Spurrier - a quarterback, not a kicker - told coach Ray Graves that he would kick the 40-yard field goal himself. Unbelievably, Spurrier's arrogance paid off and he nailed the game-winning kick against the Tigers.

Asked to comment on the game: "The fans were wonderful, outstanding. I know they went a long time without a beer, but I think they enjoyed it.", Steve Spurrier

In 05 Florida had been pulling for Auburn to beat Georgia to reach the SEC Championship, but after South Carolina beat Florida, Spurrier said “The headline in the Florida paper should read, ’Guess who's pulling for Auburn now’.” (After beating Florida, an Auburn win over Georgia meant South Carolina was mathematically alive for the SEC East title. If the Gators had won they would have gone to Atlanta.)

Q: What's the difference between God and Steve Spurrier?
A: God doesn't think he's Steve Spurrier.
Sportswriter Buddy Martin, an old friend of Spurrier's who co-wrote his autobiography, tells that story. He tells another, too. Martin used to play dollar poker with Spurrier, and once, in a game many years ago, Martin lost all his money in a few quick hands. "Loan me twenty, and I'll pay you back," he said. Spurrier said, "No."
"Why not?" Martin said, incredulously.
"Because the purpose of the game is to get you out," Spurrier said

After a blowout win over Kentucky in 1996: "These sort of games don't prove very much. All it proves is we're better then Kentucky."

When asked if he was surprised at a dismal crowd at Vanderbilt in 1998: "Surprised? It's Vandy. There must have been something good on TV."

When asked by reporters why he went for a last second passing touchdown in Athens against Georgia while the Gators had a huge lead: "Because no visiting team has ever scored 50 points in this stadium and we wanted to be the first."

After Florida blew out LSU in 1996 after only scoring only 28 points against the Tigers in 1995 and knowing that LSU's defensive coordinator sent the 1995 game tape to the Nebraska Cornhuskers before the Fiesta Bowl disaster the year earlier: "Hopefully LSU's defensive coordinator won't be giving clinics on stopping the Gators next year."

After Kentucky tried several onside kicks in Florida's 1997 win: "If I had a defense like Hal Mumme has, I would be trying them on every kickoff."

Spurrier quote on the media: "They’re like poison. You swallow the stuff and it'll kill you."

On why so many coaches move around in the SEC: “My dad was a preacher. He never lasted 10, 12 years anywhere. So every few years we’d move, guess they'd already heard all of his sermons."

On Tennessee's 1998 success: "If you play close games, you're not going to win them all. Miracles will not continue forever. Somebody asked me if Tennessee could go 13-0 again and I said, 'If some miracles keep happening for them, sure.' But you can't rely on miracles."

When asked about how he felt being in "Big Orange" country by Tennessee reporters, Spurrier replied: "I thought this was Vanderbilt country."

After the 1996 game against Arkansas when Florida won 47-7, when jogging off the field a angry Arkansas fan shouted, "Run it up some more! You've go no class Spurrier!" Spurrier shouted back: "We love it when you accuse us of that."

At halftime Spurrier was asked if the new Tenn. Stadium was the loudest place he had ever played in. He said, "It was really loud, possibly louder than the swamp, then the game started.”

Gator QB Doug Johnson threw 5 TD's one game (in a blowout) and then he threw an interception in the 3rd Quarter. The game wasn't in doubt, so we all thought, no bid deal. However, when he came off the field Spurrier grabbed Doug and said apologetically. "I'm sorry Doug, it's my fault.... I recruited you."

Coach Spurrier, was asked in 1993 why he wouldn't play Notre Dame. "Well," he replied, "I've been beaten by the Father and the Son, and I'm not taking any chances on the Holy Ghost!"

At a South Carolina alumni meeting responded to a question of "Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?" with "The same way Vanderbilt did."

Questioning perceived late hits by Florida State Seminoles defenders on his quarterback. “Danny Wuerffel is a New Testament guy. You slap him upside the helmet, and he'll turn the other cheek.... I'm a little more Old Testament. If you spear our guy in the ear hole, I think we're supposed to be able to spear your guy in the ear hole."

On Georgia's recruiting after a 45-13 win in 1991 over the Bulldogs: "Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don't understand that. What happens to them?"

A fat sloppy young reporter approached Spurrier after a practice and told him “My mother dated you way back when.”
Not knowing who the boy was, Spurrier stepped back and looked at the boy, then stated.
"I didn't go out with your momma."

When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question, "is Ray Goff still the head coach there?"

When Coach Spurrier was asked to comment on a streaker who ran onto the field. "In my experience I've learned women are better streakers."

Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee "You can't spell Citrus without UT" (In reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC).

Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying "But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!"

"This is our annual team picture." -- Spurrier, talking to a photographer as his team posed in the Georgia Dome in Dec 95 after winning the third of four consecutive SEC championships.

A reporter asked Spurrier who Josh Korn the punter was. SOS responded - I'm not sure, but I think he's Jimmy Crack's brother.

"Their pass defense was No. 1 in the nation coming in, but it won't be going out." -- Spurrier, after handing Mississippi State a 52-0 loss.

"I'm not saying anybody broke any rules; I'm just saying there was a feeling of, well, those kids are driving awfully nice cars. How's it happen?" -- Steve Spurrier, in a 1995 Sports Illustrated article, one year after telling boosters that FSU stood for "Free Shoes University."

A few years ago, after a dreadful Florida scrimmage, Steve Spurrier picked up the phone and called Gators beat reporter Chris Harry at home. Harry and his wife were out, but the baby-sitter answered.
Spurrier: "Chris Harry there?"
Baby-sitter: "No. Can I take a message?"
Spurrier: "Nah, that's okay."
Baby-sitter: "Is this Coach Spurrier?"
Spurrier: "Who's this?"
Baby-sitter: "This is Christine. I'm Jeff Mitchell's girlfriend." (Mitchell was on the Gators Offensive Line.)
Spurrier: "Jeff Mitchell's girlfriend? Jeff Mitchell jumped offside today!"

On Sept. 2, 2000. Florida was set to face off against the hapless Ball State Cardinals. Ball State entered the game riding a 17-game losing streak. This was a program so desperate for talent it once recruited Jason Whitlock. First play of the game Spurrier called an onside kick. Yet it’s hard to get upset about that call, because in a profession filled with frauds and hypocrites, Spurrier never pretended to be something he wasn’t.

As if redemption against the FSU team who gave Danny Wuerffel a boot party in their only loss of the season wasn’t enough…early in the fourth quarter, with Florida up by 18 points, Florida busts a huge hole on a shotgun trap, springing Terry Jackson for a TD and extending the lead to 25 against the vaunted jailhouse D of FSU. The camera goes to Football’s Lucifer on the sidelines, who is smiling and pin wheeling his pointed hand that on the spot determined the international gesture for “run it up

On the BCS: "You know what? Why don't we use the BCS to determine who wins the (SEC) East and West Divisions and then play the championship game?"

Former Duke QB said that in a practice at Duke, Spurrier had him practicing a certain elaborate route that QB Brown simply could not hit on time. “I don’t think it’s working, coach.” Spurrier went under center and proceeded to hit the throw several times in a row. Brown stood dumbfounded. Spurrier threw the last ball, turned to Brown and announced, “I must be a better quarterback than you.”

Louisville Courier-Journal columnist Pat Forde says of the scoreboard-spinning Spurrier: "Rang up 73 on Bill Curry, who once chose not to retain Spurrier as an assistant at Georgia Tech. Rang up 50+ three times on Hal Mumme, for being more interested in big stats than wins.

Winging three birds with one insult, Spurrier once said, "Half our players don't know who coaches Georgia, Tennessee or Vanderbilt."

Always thinking, in 1994 Spurrier improvised on an old gimmick play from the Emory & Henry College's 1950s offense resulting in the winning touchdown for the 1994 SEC championship game.

In an oddly gapped spread formation, (looked like 11 guys who got lost on the way to the huddle) against a defense that had no idea what to do next, Florida passed for a first down. On the same drive, Florida executed a faked-injury play, a long-lateral-and-pass play, a quarterback rollout on fourth-and-one, and a game-winning pass from 2 yards out--every play a gamble, every play built on the one preceding it, a kaleidoscopic display of offense that, had it been done in the NFL, would have punched Spurrier's ticket to Canton.

I’ll admit it, I’m a Spurrier guy. Always have been. So even though he’s now at South Carolina, I don’t hate the man. How could I? He was funny. He angered rival fans. And he won. This week, Florida plays Spurrier’s Gamecocks. It’s the only time many of us pull against him. For the other 364 days of the year, I wish Spurrier nothing but the best. And in honor of Stevie Wonder’s many contributions, I present you 66 reasons to dig the 1966 Heisman Trophy winner, Mr. Steve Spurrier.
1. In his very first game as Gators coach, he injected life into a campus demoralized by the recent student murders. Florida scored on its opening drive, and rolled to a 50-7 win over Okie State.
2. He didn’t make excuses after landing at Florida (see Ron Zook). Instead, he credited the former coaching staff for providing him with solid players.
3. After the 1990 team was placed on probation, an angry Spurrier remarked, ''I'm concerned about this bunch of kids here right now. In America you should pay one sentence for one crime; I don't believe you should have to pay for it again six years later. It's like someone drove a stake through everybody's heart.''
4. Of Spurrier’s return to Gator Country, quarterback Brian Fox said, “It’s sort of like God's come to town.”
5. He became the only coach in the century to win 100 games in his first 10 years at a school.
6. He typically put a Gator player first on his Heisman Trophy ballot.
7. He coined the term “The Swamp.”
8. His 1991 team gave Florida it’s first official SEC title.
9. He put 62 on the Vols in 1995.
10. He joined the legendary Paul "Bear" Bryant as the only coaches in SEC history to win as many as four straight league championships.
11. He referred to the Noles as Free Shoes University.
12. He never forgot the 1990 team; Although it didn’t win the SEC title, it did have the SEC’s best record.
13. He never lost to Peyton Manning.
14. He became the only coach in SEC history to lead a school to nine consecutive January bowl game appearances.
15. He changed the dynamic of college football by introducting the “Fun ‘N Gun.”
16. The man won at Duke for crying out loud.
17. After FSU won its first national title, Spurrier had this to say about the Noles to the Polk County Gator Club: “We’ve always heard rumors about them. Always suspected. They’ve beaten us four out of five years in recruiting. Heck, maybe they’re the greatest recruiters in the world. But maybe there are other reasons that those guys go there. Those guys always say they feel ‘more comfortable’ going to FSU. Well, maybe we’re starting to realize what that ‘more comfortable’ means.’’
18. When the 1992 Gator team couldn’t run the ball, Spurrier called them the “Three yards and a cloud of dust Gators.”
19. He kept the insufferable Bob Griese from winning the Heisman.
20. He didn’t care that Danny Wuerffel had an awkward throwing motion.
21. How could you not love a man once called “the Evil Genius” by an Atlanta Journal-Constitution columnist?
22. He once turned Bama in for cheating.
23. He QBd the winless Tampa Bay Bucs of 1976.
24. He alternated quarterbacks after every play, which helped the Gators beat No. 1-ranked FSU at home in 1997.
25. Poking fun of FSU, he once said, “It used to be I was the most hated Gator in Tallahassee. Now it’s the investi-gator.’’
26. He always puts Duke on his preseason top 25 ballot as a way to thank the school for giving him his first big break.
27. His brand of Bandit Ball actually made the now-defunct USFL watchable.
28. Former Auburn coach Shug Jordan, with his thick Southern drawl, had trouble pronouncing “Spurrier.” When he tried, it sounded as if he were saying “Superior.” The nickname stuck and helped during his Heisman campaign.
29. After FSU beat No. 1 UF in the 1996 regular-season finale in Tally, he made a stink about all the late hits Wuerffel took. To prove his point, he showed replays to some members of the media. The move was clearly a psych job – to both FSU and to the Gators, who defeated Bama the next week to set up a showdown with the ‘Noles in the Sugar Bowl.
30. In the 1997 Sugar Bowl, he clobbered FSU as Florida claimed its first national title. Then, Spurrier celebrated for a bit on Bourbon Street.
31. He made life miserable for Ray Goff – and every other Dawg for that matter. He lost to Georgia just once while with the Gators.
32. As a player, he didn’t just beat Auburn with his arm, he beat the Tigers with his foot.
33. After the infamous “Choke at Doak” in 1994, a game in which the Gators blew a 31-3 fourth-quarter lead, Spurrier quipped, “At least we didn’t lose.”
34. A week after the tie in Tally, his team ended Bama’s national championship bid with an upset at the SEC Championship Game.
35. Tired of Georgia claiming to be the underdog every single year, Spurrier said, “I don't take any particular shot at Georgia, but the poor-mouthing is getting old every year. I don't blame Ray for doing it because he learned under the best in Vince Dooley. And the thing is, it usually worked.”
36.He was actually a darn good punter.
37. When he won, he picked his team apart. When he lost, he gave the other team credit.
38. From 1906 to 1989, only seven Florida teams won as many as nine games in one season. The Gators claimed at least that many victories in all 12 seasons under Spurrier.
39. His wife, the former Jerri Starr.
40. Emory & Henry.
41. His 122 victories at Florida from 1990-2001 ranked as the best win total for a coach in his first 12 years at a school in major college history.
42. He became only the third gridder at a southern school to win the Heisman in its 32-year history.
43. He set six offensive records in the 1966 Sugar Bowl, and became the only player from the losing team to be voted the game's Most Outstanding Player.
44. Instead of waiting to be fired by the Redskins, he quit, thus saving the team millions.
45. Bobby Bowden once said of Steve, “He says things a lot of us think, but don’t have guts enough to say.”
46. After a 1994 loss at home to Auburn, he pulled a fast one on several members of the media the following Tuesday. First, he asked them to place their recorders on a table at the front of the room, presumably so they could tape his speech. Then, he had the writers turn them off. What followed was an impassioned speech in which Spurrier was brought to tears.
47. His Gator teams appeared in the weekly polls 202 of a possible 203 weeks, including each of his last 202 as coach.
48. At the start of his Heisman Trophy press conference, a youthful Spurrier revealed that his voice was already hoarse from talking to the New York writers. "Not because I had to talk loud," Spurrier said. "But it was a matter of talking distinctly. The New Yorkers couldn't understand my southern drawl."
49. When an Orlando-based sports writer wrote something Spurrier disagreed with, he quit answering his questions at press conferences. In fact, he stopped acknowledging him altogether.
50. Former coach Pepper Rodgers was quoted as saying “Embarrassment is part of the game to him.”
51. He became the only Heisman winner to coach another Heisman winner when Wuerffel received the honor in 1996.
52. The visor toss. All of them.
53. He never passed on an opportunity to thank his former coach, Ray Graves.
54. In 1995, his Gators set the record for most points scored by an opponent in Athens. They won 52-17.55. During his call-in show, he wasn’t afraid to ask a fan if they had watched the same game he had.
56. His Gator offense became the only unit in modern collegiate history to score at least 500 points (including bowl games) for four straight years (1993-96). Yale also achieved that distinction from 1886-89 and Michigan from 1901-04.
57. During the team’s 1996 national championship run, he scored 35 against Tennessee, 42 against Arkansas, 56 against LSU, 51 against Auburn, 47 against Georgia, 52 against South Carolina, 45 against Alabama and 52 against the Noles.
58. He gave Gator Country “Doering’s got a touchdown.”
59. He didn’t leave – even though many newspapers reported he would – for the Bucs after the 1995 season, which ended with a humiliating loss to Nebraska in the national title game.
60. He demoted Zook.
61. After he won the Heisman, Spurrier was asked if he could help the struggling New York Giants. To that, he said, “From what I've seen, the Giants need more than a quarterback.”
62. When former player Alex Brown once asked him what it was like to win the Heisman Trophy, he responded, “Alex, it's nice, but it's not nearly as nice as winning the national championship back in 1996."
63. After telling Gator fans about a fire that destroyed a bunch of books at Auburn, he said the real tragedy was that most hadn’t been colored yet.
64. His six outright SEC titles (`91, `93, `94, `95, `96, 2000) ranked as the second best total in SEC history, trailing only "Bear" Bryant's 11.
65. In his final game at Florida, he beat Maryland 56-23 in the Orange Bowl.
66. When he arrived at Florida, the Gators, as noted writer Dan Jenkins once said, had the arrogance of Notre Dame and the tradition of Wake Forest. When Spurrier departed, Florida had a better program than Notre Dame.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #19
atrain3067
Household Name

Male

Quote:
49. When an Orlando-based sports writer wrote something Spurrier disagreed with, he quit answering his questions at press conferences. In fact, he stopped acknowledging him altogether.
Look out Ron Morris!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #20
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

From Wednesday's practice:

"Our guys are pumped up, fired up about going to class, sitting up front, dressing appropriately and trying to be outstanding student-athletes here at Carolina."

Yup, they will be sitting up at the front.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote