CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
auslander
sanford
MWard
b381l
Spurticus
ccured
WeStillOwnUSC
Acockolypse Now
The Yancey
Cockypantherfan
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1370)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (1001)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Texags (974)
Dawg DL man arrested (862)
Ace suspended 4 game (849)
Comporium (736)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (605)
Georgia DE Jonathan (593)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (474)
2015 - Zack Bailey
watching the Alabama vs T
Texags
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
ESPN Car wash Spurrier
Ace suspended 4 games
2015 - Albert Huggins
2014-2015 Men's Non Confe

View Poll Results: Hyman's Seafood - Love it, Hate it, or Never Been?
Love It 35 43.21%
Hate It 27 33.33%
Never Been 19 23.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #21
Chickenfan
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 500
Chickenfan has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Hyman's Seafood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
Hyman's Seafood in Charleston...

Love it, Hate it, or Never been?

http://www.hymanseafood.com/

Personally, I think it's overrated. Decent food but for Charleston there are tons of other seafood places that are much better, cheaper, and don't have super long lines.

GOD AWFUL. NO LOCALS EVER! ALL TOURISTS WHO DON"T KNOW ANY BETTER! AVOID,AVOID, AVOID
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
TheGuitarCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2872
TheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot material

I think it's alright. I usually hit it up if I have time for lunch. But the whole "overrated" thing is just cliche. It's like the Beacon here in Spartanburg, Damons in Cola, and Hymans in Charleston. People just like to say now that it is overrated when fact is-it may be-but it apparently is pretty good considering the business they do.
TheGuitarCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
Freehawk
Starter

Male

Freehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPit

It's a busy tourist place that concentrates on turning tables fast. The food is OK, though. I wouldn't make a special trip there.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #24
Freehawk
Starter

Male

Freehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPitFreehawk rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuitarCock View Post
I think it's alright. I usually hit it up if I have time for lunch. But the whole "overrated" thing is just cliche. It's like the Beacon here in Spartanburg, Damons in Cola, and Hymans in Charleston. People just like to say now that it is overrated when fact is-it may be-but it apparently is pretty good considering the business they do.
Speaking of which, since high school I wanted to eat at the Beacon. This year I finally got the chance to make the pilgrimage. I must say I was unimpressed in every way. I wish I could go back and find my high school friend (who moved to Florence from Spartanburg) and tell him so.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
Click
CWS National Champs!

Male

CockyCash: 503
Click is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot material

I like Hyman's pretty good. I've never had to wait long for a table, don't know why so many people are saying that. Its not overrated to me at all.

There's some other, well alot of, great places to eat in Charleston too though. Hyman's is just one of the places I love to eat at down there.
Click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #26
Click
CWS National Champs!

Male

CockyCash: 503
Click is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot materialClick is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehawk View Post
Speaking of which, since high school I wanted to eat at the Beacon. This year I finally got the chance to make the pilgrimage. I must say I was unimpressed in every way. I wish I could go back and find my high school friend (who moved to Florence from Spartanburg) and tell him so.
They're under new management from what I've heard and have gone down hill ever since. Use to be a good place to eat in Sparta, but I like Sugar & Spice better now.
Click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #27
uscnoklahoma
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 400
uscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPit

I ate at Hymans a few years ago and wasn't blown away...it wasn't anything special but it wasn't bad either.

This space has been censored
uscnoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #28
Marshall4usc
Blue Chip

Male

Marshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervousMarshall4usc is making other chickens nervous

Okay so I'm a local and ALL locals SHOULD know that if you want amazing seafood. Hanks is where it's at!
http://hanksseafoodrestaurant.com/

Also Anson's Crispy Flounder is untouchable!!
http://www.ansonrestaurant.com/

The boathouse is pretty good too but overpriced.

Marshall4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #29
NewberryCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1234866
NewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot materialNewberryCock is USC mascot material

Thought that Hymans was so-so at best. Shem Creek,Hank's, and my favorite Anson's were a good bit better.

NewberryCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #30
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Only been there a couple of times, but I really like it. I'm not really Charleston guy and have only spent a few evenings there, so I'm not sure of all the eating establishments.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #31
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

No Hyman for me. I have never been there. I just can't think about Hyman and that fish smell.

I am not fond of Shem Creek Bar and Grill either. Not bad food but over priced for the quality. I used to live in the neighborhood right across the creek and was a plank owner of the dock and pavillion you see when you look directly across the creek.

I love the boat house on IOP. I like waters edge but usually out by the cabana bar. I'll walk the pier when the fishing boats come in. I do like Vickeries too. Thier carribean style food is a very nice change.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #32
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuitarCock View Post
No, Damon's is horrible. Probably the worst in Columbia or the Midlands period.

Just because people frequent it, does NOT mean it doesn't suck...they may be just blind. It's kind of like how people like N'Sync or something...they have a hard time realizing it until they step away and listen to real music- even though N'Sync will sell.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #33
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Hyman's is ok.

Boat House is good.
I like Shem Creek

I used to always eat Italian @ Garibaldi's but I think they closed.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #34
TheGuitarCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2872
TheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot materialTheGuitarCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
No, Damon's is horrible. Probably the worst in Columbia or the Midlands period.

Just because people frequent it, does NOT mean it doesn't suck...they may be just blind. It's kind of like how people like N'Sync or something...they have a hard time realizing it until they step away and listen to real music- even though N'Sync will sell.
I will agree with you on Damons. It's a shame that it is so bad. I've been a few times to try and give it a second chance, and it's just as bad. It's in a prime location, and it has a good atmosphere. It's always slow and horrible when I go though. That place could be awesome with the right people and food.
TheGuitarCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #35
al hough
Walk On

Male

al hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his comb

The last time I was in Charleston I ate at "The Wreck" and really enjoyed it. I think that was in October of 2003.
al hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Clifford4HeismanGoBobcats

Male

CockyCash: 550
CaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot materialCaptainCrunch is USC mascot material

Hymans is good stuff
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #37
gvcock
Recruit

gvcock has hatched from the shell

Hymans is the best for sure.
gvcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #38
CWoodson24
4-Star

Male

CWoodson24 has feathers coming inCWoodson24 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
No Hyman for me. I have never been there. I just can't think about Hyman and that fish smell.

I am not fond of Shem Creek Bar and Grill either. Not bad food but over priced for the quality. I used to live in the neighborhood right across the creek and was a plank owner of the dock and pavillion you see when you look directly across the creek.

I love the boat house on IOP. I like waters edge but usually out by the cabana bar. I'll walk the pier when the fishing boats come in. I do like Vickeries too. Thier carribean style food is a very nice change.
My thoughts exactly about the places on the creek, and we lived across the creek from each other.
CWoodson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #39
Cockdaddy2001
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot materialCockdaddy2001 is USC mascot material

The Wreck was my favorite place in Charleston. I think they are under new management now....haven't been in a while.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #40
crazy*cock
Left Bench Warmer

Male

CockyCash: 1792
crazy*cock is developing his combcrazy*cock is developing his combcrazy*cock is developing his combcrazy*cock is developing his combcrazy*cock is developing his combcrazy*cock is developing his combcrazy*cock is developing his combcrazy*cock is developing his combcrazy*cock is developing his comb

Hyman's is the worst tourist trap in Charleston. If you wait in line for that place, clearly you have not tried any other restaurant in Charleston. I have had friends work their and they have never said one good thing about it. I will not even list a restuarant that is better because they are all better, even the fast food joints on spring street are better than that place.

Pat Forde, ESPN.com: If this were the Underachiever Top 40, I might have taken the Tigers first.
Mark Schlabach, ESPN.com: If these selections were based on annual preseason expectations, the Tigers would have been No. 1.
crazy*cock is offline   Reply With Quote