CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
18IsTheMan
Spurrier_Superior_On
Clowneygotcha
gadeneer1986
GoldenSpur7
GH
cockyguitar
trapper82
eatlighting
SouthCGC
My Observations Abou (1971)
Kevin Sumlin Thought (1740)
Looking ahead to UGA (1725)
Step back from the l (1250)
Gurley lined up to t (1163)
Who else wants to se (811)
How far do we fall.. (803)
Shon Carson at KR (728)
Shaq Roland (728)
Kelcy and Victor Ham (725)
Who else wants to see Con
My Observations About USC
who is the hot woman in t
UFC 177: TJ Dillishaw vs
David Williams??
Tanner McEvoy to start fo
Dylan in the shotgun?
Predict the Season (After
Kelcy and Victor Hampton
Connor Shaw Browns

Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
09Gamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons
Default Who Serves The Best Steak In Columbia?

Where can I find the best steak in Columbia? I'm not used to eating $50+ meals on a student's budget, but I'm graduating in a few weeks, and I'm going out for dinner with family afterwards to celebrate. I figured this would be a good place to to get some suggestions.

I was thinking Ruth's Chris since I've been to the one in my hometown a few times and have had great food each time. However, if there is a better local place, I wouldn't mind going there. Somewhere like Dianne's on Devine maybe? Anyway, let me know where I should make a reservation!
09Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
MBGCockOld
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 81420865
MBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot material
Default Re: Who Serves The Best Steak In Columbia?

My grill!!!! If i lived in columbia.
MBGCockOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
ertman420
The E-Gang's Obsession

Male

CockyCash: 301
ertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot materialertman420 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ertman420

Ruth's Chris is pretty good, and expensive too. My buddy James works there so sit in his section if you go, and TIP HIM WELL.

Diane's is pretty good, too - and again, it's expensive. They do have a crab- or lobster-stuffed filet that's pretty good (it's been awhile so I can't remember which it is).

Really though, unless you want to spend $100, just go to Longhorn. The one in the vista is pretty good, although I used to work there and got fired for some BS that I didn't even do. Basically, I fell victim to extreme managerial incompetence. The cooks are good there, though, and the servers too - and the steaks really are pretty good.

Anyways, that's my two cents...

ertman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Drunkeneskimofo
is awesome.

Male

CockyCash: 200
Drunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Drunkeneskimofo

I think the longhorn in the vista sucks actually. I think Ruth's Chris is overrated. I've had 1 or 2 decent steaks at Texas Roadhouse but I've also had some crappy ones there.

Never had a great steak in Columbia.

Best 3 steaks I've ever had were all at Emeril Lagasse's Del Monico in Las Vegas. My dad does a pretty good job on the grill as well.

Clemson University... you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Drunkeneskimofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

not outback
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Marshall4usc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Marshall4usc is developing his combMarshall4usc is developing his combMarshall4usc is developing his combMarshall4usc is developing his combMarshall4usc is developing his combMarshall4usc is developing his combMarshall4usc is developing his combMarshall4usc is developing his combMarshall4usc is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertman420 View Post
Ruth's Chris is pretty good, and expensive too. My buddy James works there so sit in his section if you go, and TIP HIM WELL.

Diane's is pretty good, too - and again, it's expensive. They do have a crab- or lobster-stuffed filet that's pretty good (it's been awhile so I can't remember which it is).

Really though, unless you want to spend $100, just go to Longhorn. The one in the vista is pretty good, although I used to work there and got fired for some BS that I didn't even do. Basically, I fell victim to extreme managerial incompetence. The cooks are good there, though, and the servers too - and the steaks really are pretty good.

Anyways, that's my two cents...
I'm gonna have to agree with this. Ruth's Chris followed by Diane's....both really good but expensive

Marshall4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
CockPitUsc01
THE PRODIGY

Male

CockPitUsc01 has earned his spursCockPitUsc01 has earned his spursCockPitUsc01 has earned his spursCockPitUsc01 has earned his spursCockPitUsc01 has earned his spursCockPitUsc01 has earned his spurs
Send a message via Yahoo to CockPitUsc01

Texas Roadhouse you get a steak and ribs and 2 sides for $18 or you can pay $30.00 for a thirty two ounce steak and 2 sides
CockPitUsc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

i don't eat steak at any restaurant- don't care what they are or what they claim. i only eat the steaks i grill.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
09Gamecock
Blue Chip

Male

09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons09Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Any other recommendations for a good spot to get a steak?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
acejrock
Rockington

Male

CockyCash: 28000000
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

You mean Ryan's isn't the best? haha jk

Ruth Chris is the best I am aware of in Columbia if you want to fork out the money.
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #11
Go Carolina
We Are 138

Male

CockyCash: 735553
Go Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Gamecock View Post
Any other recommendations for a good spot to get a steak?
Like Ertman said, you can actually get a pretty good steak at Longhorn. Nut it isn't as nice of an atmosphere as the others if that is what you are going for.
I usually get a rare cut of prime rib and then ask them to season it and throw it on the grill to bring it up to medium-rare. Ans still get the au jus. That is a great steak and hard to mess up.
I know it sounds like I just ordered a ribeye, but it is much jucier this way due to the slow roasting of the prime rib.

I used to work in a fine dining restaurant and when ever I ate on shift, that is what I got.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #12
jackdb
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
jackdb is developing his combjackdb is developing his combjackdb is developing his combjackdb is developing his combjackdb is developing his combjackdb is developing his combjackdb is developing his combjackdb is developing his combjackdb is developing his combjackdb is developing his comb
Send a message via AIM to jackdb

My back yard.
jackdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockyCash: 50600
CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

I'd recommend just going to Texas Roadhouse. Longhorn would be second. I occasionally end up at Outback if I'm with other people and I can never understand why so many people like that place. TR is cheaper and a heck of a lot better. I've never been to Ruth's Chris, but I've tried a couple of other expensive places and I just can't say it's worth it at all. If you really don't want to go to a chain restaurant, maybe try California Dreaming.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
bravecock524
Nesemiea

Male

CockyCash: 40960
bravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPit

Hight cotton has the best ribeye I have every tasted, tender like a filet with the great taste of an amazing ribeye
bravecock524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
Jeff45ACP
I give girls the finger

Male

CockyCash: 6300
Jeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot materialJeff45ACP is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff45ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockRoche View Post
I'd recommend just going to Texas Roadhouse. Longhorn would be second. I occasionally end up at Outback if I'm with other people and I can never understand why so many people like that place. TR is cheaper and a heck of a lot better. I've never been to Ruth's Chris, but I've tried a couple of other expensive places and I just can't say it's worth it at all. If you really don't want to go to a chain restaurant, maybe try California Dreaming.
I have to agree with you about Outback. The one here in Rock Hill was open for like 3 or 4 years before I went there and I wasn't impressed. Other Outbacks have been just as bland. The only time I have went there really is when everyone else wanted to, or when I felt like using the gift cards from there my old job used to give. I've heard Ruth's Chris is good, but expensive, and Longhorn is one of the few chain restaurants I've been to where I've never had anything terrible.
Jeff45ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #16
09Gamecock
Blue Chip

Male

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm not paying, but with a bigger party of seven family members, I don't know that it's worth that price of Ruth's Chris. I'm sure it would end up being $500+, and that's fairly excessive. I'm one of those people that doesn't like others spending too much money on my behalf. Longhorn seems to be getting good reviews, it's close, and it won't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe we'll go there. I like to grill my own steaks too, but this is meant to be a nice post graduation sit down dinner, not a cookout!

It sucks that Columbia doesn't have a Brio. Brio is hands down the best chain restaurant I've ever been to. And it's priced around something like Longhorn to boot. Definitely go there if you ever have the opportunity. Everything on the menu is absolutely incredible.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #17
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

If you go to Longhorn and you like ribs, try them if they have a steak/rib combo. I think they're BBQ sauce is pretty good.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:01 AM   #18
Go Carolina
We Are 138

Male

CockyCash: 735553
Go Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot materialGo Carolina is USC mascot material

Longhorn also has a private dining room as well. If you have a large party, you can probably reserve it for no charge and have a little more privacy for your celebration.

Also, just FYI to the poster above, but California Dreaming is a Chain, the same company owns Carolina Roadhouse and some other chains.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #19
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Carolina View Post
Longhorn also has a private dining room as well. If you have a large party, you can probably reserve it for no charge and have a little more privacy for your celebration.

Also, just FYI to the poster above, but California Dreaming is a Chain, the same company owns Carolina Roadhouse and some other chains.
I know Carolina Dreaming is part of a group of restaurants, but it's still not a national chain like Outback and Longhorn. I think there are about 10-12 different restaurants in that group. California Dreaming in Columbia and Charleston, Carolina Roadhouse, New York Prime in Myrtle Beach, and I know there are restaurants in Atlanta and Jacksonville Florida.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #20
jeffswanton54
S&storm!

Male

CockyCash: 2113
jeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spursjeffswanton54 has earned his spurs

My father cooks the best for me for free!!! beat that.

GO PATS/COCKS!
jeffswanton54 is offline   Reply With Quote